Thread: Bellino - Messenger bag dye coming off!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bellino - Messenger bag dye coming off!

Hi there, and thanks for reading.

I recently got a Bellino Messenger bag. It works great mechanically. Upon arrival I applied mink oil to give the leather a nicer feel and to preserve it (to the best of my knowledge). There were several types of leather use in the construction of the bag. The thicker, tougher leather used for gussets and reinforcements reacted well to the oil. The softer, silkier, thinner leather used on pockets and the front and back faces of the bag did not react well (I'm not actually sure these parts are leather, though the bag is advertised as 100% leather, leather from what animal, I am not so sure about). The dye on this thinner leather is now coming off after the mink oil application! I let the oil set for about a week in hopes the oil would be absorbed more and still, the same problem persists. A wipe from a dry paper towel shows show the dye is slowly being removed from the bag. Since the oil caused the dye to come off, I would think the dye is oil-based and not alcohol based like the dye in the thicker bits of leather. Images detailing the damage are attached.

Is there a way to restore and seal the dye on my bag?
    Thanks again for reading.

Attachment 3519
    Attachment 3520
    Attachment 3521
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information