Thread: 2008 Ford F-250 with King Ranch Chaparrel leather.

Default 2008 Ford F-250 with King Ranch Chaparrel leather.

I recently purchased a 2008 Ford F-250 with King Ranch Chaparrel leather in it.
    It only has 6,000 miles on it, so wear isn't any issue, but it appears to have spent a great deal of time in the sun.
    Using the King Ranch conditioner had little or no impact on the fading issue.
    I did notice some color / dye on my applicator pad.
    What would you suggest I use?
    It almost appears as though I will need to add some dye to the leather.
    Your input / thoughts would be appreciated.
    The front seats are the worst.
    Again, the truck only has 6,000 miles on it, so wear really isn't an issue.
    But the coloration has lost its "glow".
    I blame it on sun exposure as it was kept outside until I bought it.
    I'd like to get it back to its original luster as the truck is amazing and deserves it.
    Please let me know what you recommend.
    Also, do you have any shops in the St. Louis, MO area that use your products that you would recommend?
    I'm considering taking it somewhere to have someone perform the product application that is more familiar with it and can do a better job than I might be able to.
    Thanks again!

The first attachment is of the rear seat for reference.
    I consider this leather to be nearly perfect.
    The rear windows are tinted, so sun never really got to them.
    Name:  IMG_0257.JPG
Views: 2403
Size:  6.68 MB

The second photo is of the driver's door panel leather pad.
    It was badly faded and when I applied King Ranch's conditioner, portions actually turned white for some reason (perhaps you can explain).
    Name:  IMG_0253.JPG
Views: 2205
Size:  5.39 MB

Center console cover. With the lighting I had, you may need to put this photo next to the rear seat photo to see the fading better.
    A number of scuffs can be seen on this cover from items being drug / scooted across it.
    Name:  IMG_0256.JPG
Views: 2228
Size:  6.06 MB

Passenger's seat back. Again, just shades lighter from fading.
    Name:  IMG_0259.JPG
Views: 1883
Size:  5.90 MB

>>> #1 The first attachment is of the rear seat for reference. I consider this leather to be nearly perfect. The rear windows are tinted, so sun never really got to them.

Picture shows dents to the leather.
    This could be work back with Hydrator-3.3.
    We also see color intensity difference section from section.
    This could be improve with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system to bring some color from below surface to freshen up.

>>> #2 The second photo is of the driver's door panel leather pad. It was badly faded and when I applied King Ranch's conditioner, portions actually turned white for some reason (perhaps you can explain).

Basically there are two types of conditioner, one for below surface and one for above surface. When using a below surface conditioner meant for the leather structure suppleness it has to be fully penetrated otherwise it may becomes a nuisance in terms of stickiness or unsightly appearance. An above surface conditioner or rather protector besides the feature protection should also enhance the aesthetic. Unsightly residue is stripped with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0. Recommended below surface conditioning system is by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0, Hydrator-3.3 and above surface protector is by Protector-B+.

>>> #3 Center console cover. With the lighting I had, you may need to put this photo next to the rear seat photo to see the fading better. A number of scuffs can be seen on this cover from items being drug / scooted across it.

Fading is the lost of dyestuff from UV light and fatliquor from evaporation. When both are replenished the original appearance is restored. Dyestuff is either reactivated with Hydrator-3.3 or a fresh coating is needed. The first choice is try to reactivate the below surface dormant or excess dyestuff to resurface, if the Hydrator-3.3 can penetrate and have enough time to react it will bring up coloring to a degree. Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing will also add some degree to the intensity. If the result is not up to satisfaction then a dyeing refinishing is executed accordingly.
    Scuff we see are topcoat damages and is repair with AnilineTop-21G, besides it will amplify and magnify the color intensity further. Note the contrasting white stitches and to keep it as original any coloring applied will affect the white stitching to a degree. Thus, Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > AnilneTop-21G is the safest progressive approach to color improvement or enhancement.

#4>>> Passenger's seat back. Again, just shades lighter from fading.

Solution as mentioned per #3 above.

Here is my recommended approach without resorting to applying new dyestuff.

1] Preparation Cleaning for Topcoat Refinishing:
    Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0

2] Dent Repairs:
    Hydrator-3.3

3] Reactivating Dormant Dyestuff to Resurface:
    Hydrator-3.3

4] Restoring Leather Suppleness
    Fatliquor-5.0

5] Restoring Scuffing:
    AnilineTop-21G

6] Rub-Resistant Protection:
    Protector-B+

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Products mention is found in this Kit A6.tc

Name:  a207916145391c961829dc_m.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  32.1 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit A6.tc – Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit A6.tc, aniline leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for topcoat repairs from friction wear, accidental scratch, scuff and abrasion to deteriorating greasy sweat stains. These topcoat damages are identified as white, dull or darkening stain from bare body contacts. Accidental whitish damages in most cases are free of soiling and direct AnilineTop-21G application with in between dry sanding rectifies most damages. Repairs to topcoat from daily wears that dulls will require a degreasing to remove penetrated rub-in soiling prior to topcoat application in a sequence process including Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0; Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0 prior to topcoat application. In a greasy and sweaty topcoat damaged areas especially to the headrest and armrest, a deep degreasing is essential follows with Acidifier-2.0 to stabilize the hydrogen bonding between the protein fibers with the other leather constituent like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. This deep degreasing process is assisted by leather Eraser-4 in both the wet and dry cleaning process to remove soiling particulates off the leather surface. Hydrator-3.3 helps in the colloidal water movement bringing suspended soiling particulates to resurface through a dwelling and wicking process. Fat and oil is replenished by Fatliquor-5.0 in an emulsion form to penetrate into the leather structure. Once the fat and oil is hydrogen bond with the protein fiber, the water content breaks free leaving a breathing space for natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness preventing the leather structure from collapsing during compressing and flexing while the oil lubricates the fiber from sliding smoothly over one another like millions of connecting hinges. Protector-B+ impart a non-stick, rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel helps reduce friction wear to the topcoat and extended a high level of appearance for a longer period of time. When the leather is contaminated with foreign soiling, it is essential to look at topcoat refinishing in a holistic approach. Note that the cleaning and rejuvenating products suffix denotes its pH value in this leather-safe aniline leathers topcoat refinishing system. This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as Rinse-3.0, Acidifier-2.0, Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.

Thread Information