Thread: Advice prior to buying products for 1992 BMW seats?

Default Advice prior to buying products for 1992 BMW seats?

Wow, what a great site, thanks Roger!

I recently bought a 1992 BMW 318i for dirt cheap due to the interiro being destroyed. I suspect the owners had a large dog in it, as chunks were ripped out of all the seats.

Today I bought a 1995 BMW318 due to mechanical problems, but since the 1992 is overall in better shape, I'm going to transfer the interior to it. As you can see by the pix, the leather seats aren't ripped at all, but have deep marks/scratches/creases. I'm starting from scratch as I've never worked with leather before (I'm an electronics tech), and want to do things right the first time. What process do you recommend, along with what products, and what results should a newbie expect?

I'm bookmarking this forum and will do some more reading as well.

Thanks!
    Curt
    Attached Images Attached Images    

>>> What process do you recommend, along with what products, and what results should a newbie expect?

If you are looking into restoring below and above surface Kit Ap7.cl is the system starter kit assuming there is no need of structural repairs.

Physical performance below surface:
    Thickness of the leather structure has to be rejuvenated for suppleness otherwise what is done above surface will be cracked thru too soon.

Appearance above surface:
    New like appearance matching original color, micro-pigment so that the overall looks natural and not too plastiky.

Tactile-feel:
    A non-stick, rub-resistant buttery-feel allows the ease of sliding in and out reducing friction wears from compression and stretch thus reduce unwanted creases or wrinkles with Protector-B+ and Protector-D a non-slip draggy feel design for steering wheel and shift knob.

Noise Reduction:
    Noise reduction is associated with friction wear and significantly reduced with Protector-B+.

Leather Scent:
    Protector-B+ imparts a classical leather scent that charms with a scentless option for Protector-B.

We will discuss the sequence of process in more details.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Name:  a207916145391be3801ec8_m.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  31.0 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit Ap7.cl – Auto Pigmented (perforated) Leather Color Refinishing Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit Ap7.cl, auto pigmented (perforated) leather color refinishing kit is design for abrasion damages especially from friction rubs while getting in and out of seat. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure with all-purpose cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A preview of a leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalized once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is activated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Structural weakness from overstretching is re-strengthened with Impregnator-26, while surface uneven absorption is sealed with Adhesor-73. These repair and auxiliary products where necessary reduces the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Thanks Roger! Are you based in Canada or the US? I'm in Vancouver, Canada, but have a US shipping address, so whatever is cheaper to ship to.

thanks!
    Curt

Curt, Roger is in Port Coquitlam. He's good to deal with and is helping me fix up the seats in an old Benz.
    Gary

thanks Gary!

Thread Information