Thread: 1967 300SEL Mercedes - Cleaning, Softening, Repairing and Refinishig old Mercedes leather seats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's some pictures of the back seat in the cleaning process. The darkness in the perforated Leather part of the seat is missing pigment , not dirt. It's coming along nicely.

Gary

Name:  seats.mercedes.1967.300.sel.009.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  seats.mercedes.1967.300.sel.008.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  seats.mercedes.1967.300.sel.010.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  59.1 KB

Refer to picture #1

There is a darkening line probably 3 to 6 inches by 1 inches size on the left size.

This should be properly clean off with Clean-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 and disappear when dry.

Picture #2

The partial cleaning result looks good!

Picture #3

The darkening effect I believe is from the Prep-7.7 as in picture #1.

They should be clean with Clean-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 to remove the remaining of the Prep-7.7 and disappear when dry.

Default Repair and Dye

[ Roger, I will re-clean with 3.8 and 3.0. The dark spot is now almost gone that it had dried. I want to proceed with the seat repairs and re-coloring and will e-mail you for more supplies.

Gary

Thanks,

Like to see Picture #1 and #3 at this cleaning stage.

tips:
    Any penetrated stains below surface is best to wick them to the surface with Hydrator-3.3.
    Using the stretchable paper towel for "reverse transferring" any foreign contamination is recommended.
    Prep-7.7 is also considered as a foreign soiling if left beneath the surface.

A final inspection is recommended before moving into the "leather rejuvenating" phase.

Hi Gary,

How is the progress?

Like you to show us some of the "reverse transfer" technique result working with Prep-7.7

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    Hi Gary,

How is the progress?

Like you to show us some of the "reverse transfer" technique result working with Prep-7.7
    I've been too busy at work this week , but will be back at it soon.

Gary

The progress is good, but I need more explanation about the sanding of the finish after cleaning. The reverse transfer working with the 7.7 is fine, but because my seats haven't been cleaned in 40+ years, I find it faster to clean small sections with the brush. There is little in the way of stains, they are just dirty all over. Here is a photo of the headrest. The left side I did with the brush.

[IMG]rear.seat.clip.003[/IMG]

Roger, After spending 4 hours sanding the rear seat back, I wanted to show you a picture to see if I'm ready for the next step of re-Hydration of the Leather.
    Please tell me what you think. I can't seem to attach photos here, so I will e-mail you the photo directly and perhaps you will have more luck sending it here.

Regards Gary

Thread Information