Thread: Pigment (Micro or Semi-Aniline) - Failing Top Coat

Default Pigment (Micro or Semi-Aniline) - Failing Top Coat

I wrapped this bench treating with prep, clean, rinse, fatliquor and hydrator. The color darkened some and the suppleness is restored, however the top coat is still cracked. I wet sanded with 1500 grit. Now it is uneven. Do I need to remove the rest of the topcoat with a special product?

After treating with adhesor.

>>> however the top coat is still cracked. I wet sanded with 1500 grit. Now it is uneven.

We need to identify the finishes.
    If coloring is picked up during wet or dry sanding, it is pigmented or micro-pigmented thus the unevenness is due to the remnant loss of coloring thus new coloring is necessary before a new topcoat to seal it.

>>> Do I need to remove the rest of the topcoat with a special product?

When pigment coloring is required for a new finishing, wet sanding is preferred to remove surface deteriorating coating thus the beneath is still strong, otherwise any special product may deteriorated more than is removed thus resulting a weaker foundation (if we are talking about partial removal).

Most aniline leathers that have topcoat “cracked” is either physical removed with Razor-60, wet sanding or Stripper-2.3 to a dull surface and AnilineTop-76/21G gloss topcoat applied to amplify or magnify the color intensity with an optional luster adjustment with AnilineTop-76/21S satin for a mellow appearance.

Picture #1 shows possibility to be an aniline finishes.

Picture #2 shows most likely to be micro-pigmented finishes.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    [email protected]

You were right, of course! I put a custom semianiline color on. Looks much better.

Thank you for the feedback!

Thread Information