Thread: Zebra skin - How to fix curling and drying out leather!

Default Zebra skin - How to fix curling and drying out leather!

The edges of my zebra skin are curling and drying out.
    How can I recondition it?
    Can you please look at these pictures?
    As you can see I do not think I need a lot of product.
    Also would it help if I felted the back???
    I am sick about this.
    Thank you for your help.

Name:  zebra 5.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  532.4 KB

Name:  zebra 4.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  419.1 KB

Name:  zebra 3.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  465.4 KB

Name:  zebra 2.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  417.9 KB

Name:  Zebra 1.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  382.9 KB

>>> Also would it help if I felted the back???

Not recommend having felting, you need excess to the suede side to rejuvenate it to lay flat periodically.

>>> How can I recondition it?

Reconditioning it or rejuvenating it is by Hydrator-3.3 > Hydrator-3.3 system process.
    1] To protect the wooden floor lay a plastic sheet in between.
    2] Spray Hydrator-3.3 on the reverse suede side until saturate and let it dwell to relax until the edges lay flat naturally.
    3] When the edges is entirely flat, continue applying Fatliquor-5.0 with each drying cycle repeat application and when dry thereafter will remain flat.

The above system is repeated periodically depending on the moisture content when dry, an optimum moisture level when dry would be around 15% reading from a moisture meter. A lower moisture content will require more frequent leather rejuvenating process then a higher moisture content before it curls again.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    [email protected]

Products mentioned are found in this Kit H4, individual products are also available as refills.

Name:  a207916145391c84f1dc4_m.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  35.2 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit H4 – Hair-on-Hide Care Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit H4, hair-on-hide care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping zebra / cowhide at their highest level of appearance, enhancing their softness and strength and prevents premature ageing. The tell tale sign of hide starving for fat and oil is the creases, wrinkles and fold lines during shipping or storage that fail to make the rug lay flat. As the hides are almost returning to rawhide with lack of fat and oil it becomes noisy as the fiber becomes stick together. The reverse suede side, which we do not see, is vital in producing a pleasing appearance and need to be relaxed and soften up. Rejuvenating the suede side is accomplished by Hydrator-3.3 first to relax and separate the stick together fiber prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fatliquor-5.0 with its fat plumps the suede and the oil lubricate for softness without darkening effect. A well-rejuvenated hide will lie as flat without curls to the edges is a job well done. Cleaning to the suede side is performed with Cleaner-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 using a suede Brush-3 / Eraser-5 and towel extract. The hair side is clean with Clean-5.5 follows with Rinse-4.0 towel extracts and groom with suede Brush-3. Protector-S+ imparts is silky-feel rub-resistant to lubricates the hair from abrasion wear when the hair is rubbed and a non-stick properties to shield the hair from silky soiling as a preventive care. Moreover, it diffuses a classic leather scent to charm. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system for hair-on-hide. This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as Clean-3.8, Clean-5.5, Rinse-3.0, Rinse-4.0, Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.

Thread Information