Name:  20140519_074036(0).jpg
Views: 664
Size:  3.04 MB

Picture of whole jacket
    Name:  20140519_074055.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  2.92 MB

Hi,
    Above are pictures of a customers jacket which has a number of the same liquid stains on it. I am not sure what they are, but have tried to treat it in a couple of ways. The first picture is a sample of an untreated stain, the second I have used acidifier and the third is with cleaner 3.8. Both have different results but not the desired result I was looking for. Any ideas what I should have done and how to correct what I have already done.

Thanks
    Johnny

Use this Suede (S.n) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.
    Name:  Suede Napa (S.n).jpg
Views: 529
Size:  373.8 KB

>>> a customer’s jacket which has a number of the same liquid stains on it. I am not sure what they are,

My guess is the possibility of alcoholic stains; alcohol breaks the hydrogen bond between the protein fiber and the dyestuff and when the fugitive dyestuff is removed it shows the natural crust color. To confirm that the dyestuff has already being affected prior to cleaning is to test the two products out – Use a cotton swab saturated with both Clean-3.8 and Acidifier-2.0 on a hidden corner and see the result.

>>> the second I have used Acidifier-2.0 and the third is with Clean-3.8. Both have different results but not the desired result I was looking for.

As explain above the stains have already been leach out. Cleaning the surface fugitive dyestuff simply reveals it.

>>> Any ideas what I should have done

Always test out any product on a hidden area and let dry to observe prior to actual application.

>>> and how to correct what I have already done.

The only solution is restoring the matching color with Suede/Nubuck-28

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    [email protected]

Lightbulb Thank you for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    Use this Suede (S.n) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.
    Name:  Suede Napa (S.n).jpg
Views: 529
Size:  373.8 KB

>>> a customer’s jacket which has a number of the same liquid stains on it. I am not sure what they are,

My guess is the possibility of alcoholic stains; alcohol breaks the hydrogen bond between the protein fiber and the dyestuff and when the fugitive dyestuff is removed it shows the natural crust color. To confirm that the dyestuff has already being affected prior to cleaning is to test the two products out – Use a cotton swab saturated with both Clean-3.8 and Acidifier-2.0 on a hidden corner and see the result.

>>> the second I have used Acidifier-2.0 and the third is with Clean-3.8. Both have different results but not the desired result I was looking for.

As explain above the stains have already been leach out. Cleaning the surface fugitive dyestuff simply reveals it.

>>> Any ideas what I should have done

Always test out any product on a hidden area and let dry to observe prior to actual application.

>>> and how to correct what I have already done.

The only solution is restoring the matching color with Suede/Nubuck-28

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    [email protected]
    The chart presented here seems to be useful and easy to understand. Thank you for posting it here.

Thread Information