Thread: Caring for high-end dress shoes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Roger! A couple more questions if you don't mind. I don't understand how the fats and oils "hydrogen bond" with the leather's protein fibers. You've made it clear they are non-polar, so how does that happen? Is it the water that is hydrogen bonding? My guess is the hydrogen that makes up the water is what is bonding, correct?

How is it that these oils and fats evaporate, when oil and fat rancidification and oxidation occurs with some? Are the fats and oils in your fatliquor somehow engineered to not stick around and oxidize, but rather evaporate?

What is the life of your products? With the cap on will they last a long time, or will they lose effectiveness, or evaporate? Thanks so much!

>>> You've made it clear they are non-polar

Correction, products mentioned are polars – behaves like magnet – like poles repels and unlike poles repels.
    At the molecular level it hydrogen bond like water H20.

>>> My guess is the hydrogen that makes up the water is what is bonding, correct?

Water exist in three forms ice, water and steam and the molecular bonding structure changes.

>>> How is it that these oils and fats evaporate, when oil and fat rancidification and oxidation occurs with some?

Heat causes evaporation sometimes, breaking of hydrogen bonding when the amphoteric leather protein fibers shift from ionic positive (+ve) to ionic negative (-ve). Any solution that has a pH higher then the neutral pH or iso-electric point or pI will cause a shift to the leather protein fiber.
    That’s the reason we say that leather is pH sensitive and when it breaks bonds with its leather constituents it denatures or revert to rawhide.

>>> Are the fats and oils in your fatliquor somehow engineered to not stick around and oxidize, but rather evaporate?

When hydrogen bond it sticks and becomes part of leather.
    When the ionic attraction weakens it becomes fugitive – just like the melting ice by temperature – leather by pH value differences

>>> What is the life of your products? With the cap on will they last a long time, or will they lose effectiveness, or evaporate?

With its cap tight and put in room temperature it will last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> You've made it clear they are non-polar

Correction, products mentioned are polars – behaves like magnet – like poles repels and unlike poles repels.
    At the molecular level it hydrogen bond like water H20.
    The fatliquor is polar, yes, but it includes ingredients such as fat and oil, which are non-polar. If fat and oil is non-polar how is it hydrogen bonding to the leather protein? Is the emulsifier what is binding, or the added water (which contains hydrogen)?

Correction as underlined:
    The fatliquor is polar, yes, but it includes ingredients such as fat and oil, which were “ORIGINALLY” non-polar.

Selected fat and oil is then ionic charged and calibrated to its desired pH value.
    Thus Fatliquor-5.0 attains its anionic pH value of 5.0.
    Concentrated ionic charged fat and oil after processing has to be cut or mixed with 5 parts of distilled water prior to use.
    In a waterbased emulsion, the charged fat and oil becomes encased in water molecules just like fresh milk.
    When the water encased negative (-ve) charged fat and oil molecule hydrogen bond with the leather protein ionic positive (+ve) charged fibrils, the water breaks free and wicks up to the leather surface.

To increase its hydrogen bonding or ionic attraction effect, the amphoteric leather protein fiber is further charged below its iso-electric point (pH 3 – 5) using any of these products Acidifier-2.0 or Hydrator-3.3 (the suffix number denotes the products pH value).

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    [email protected]

this was a big help and so interesting to read

Dear Steve,

Yes this topic is interesting . . .

The below quoted question was posted on 06-08-2014 by patrickBooth . . .

“>>> Have you ever considered trying out this technology and logic in the cosmetics business?
    I wonder if the hydrator-fatliquor system can replace my mothers wrinkle cream.
    What do you think?”

Time has catch-up, and I need these magical wrinkle creams myself too.
    As to date I have researched and developed 7 new products for both skin-care and hair-care besides all those for leather care.

One of these dermatological skin care product, Acne-X is to exfoliate aging skin and tighten up wrinkling facial skin tissue and it work on me.

You may want to ask, how it works?

I will share with you, as am happy with the result, that why you see me signing off with picture from now . . .

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information