Thread: Caring for high-end dress shoes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Caring for high-end dress shoes

Hello, I have a collection of high end dress shoes that are made up with calfskin, and some with shell cordovan. I want to be able to keep the vamp, where they flex from cracking over time. In the past I have spent good money on shoes only to find them cracking after a couple of years. I want to delay this for as long as possible. I generally don't wear my good shoes in the rain, however sometimes it is inevitable. When they get wet what kind of cleaning should be done to get the dirt and water spots off? How should they be conditioned afterwards? What kind of general conditioning should be done on them and how frequently?

From reading though this forum this is what I interpret:

IF they get wet and water spots, let them dry naturally and use Clean 3.8, then Rinse 3.0 followed by Hydrator 3.3 and Fatliquor 5.0.

For general maintenance Hydrator 3.3, followed by Fatliquor 5.0

Is this correct?

A couple of more specific questions:

1. Are your products natural?
    2. What are the ingredients? Do you have MSDS sheets for them?
    3. Is it really necessary to use both Clean 3.8 and Rinse 3.0?
    4. Is it really necessary to use both Hydrator 3.3 and Fatliquor 5.0?
    5.This study says a ph of a substance of around 3 is damaging to leather, why do you advocate the use of cleaners with a ph of around 3?
    http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jre...n4p559_A2b.pdf
    6. My shoes have a "crust" finish, where the dyes were applied by the shoemaker with no other kind of top coat other than wax polish, are your products still suitable for this type of finish?
    7. Can I polish over your treatments with wax shoe polish?

Thank you for taking the time to read through my essay!

>>> 5.This study says a ph of a substance of around 3 is damaging to leather, why do you advocate the use of cleaners with a ph of around 3?
    http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jre...n4p559_A2b.pdf

This information is about the leather damaging effect with "SULPHURIC ACID" - am I right?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-26-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Correct.

Also to add it seems after reviewing some other posts in this forum that ph isn't everything. There seems to be another conversation of polarity. Is there a direct correlation between ph and polarity? I would think not. For example, acetone can strip grease like crazy as can turpintine, however acetone's ph is neutral compared to turpentine, which is acidic. I'm guessing it has to do with polarity. Maybe you can educate me on that as it's very interesting. Thank you!
    Last edited by patrickBOOTH; 04-26-2014 at 01:11 PM.

>>> Correct.

Not to worry, we do not use “sulphuric” acid as a content in any of our formulation.

I can demonstrate using a bottle of Rinse-3.0 (pH 3.0) to sanitize my face and acidify my hair as well to prove that what is safe for our skin is also safe for leather, But NEVER with “sulfuric” acid of any pH dilution.

So why does one substance with a ph of 3 have a different acidic characteristic than another with a ph of 3?

>>> So why does one substance with a ph of 3 have a different acidic characteristic than another with a ph of 3?

Interesting!

I am just as perplex!

So why does all we human with the same DNA stiff differs in character - May gives us a clue?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-26-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Thread Information