Thread: Bleached spots on leather boots

Default Bleached spots on leather boots

I recently purchased some Aldo's leather cleaner to clean my Born riding boots and didn't do a spot test. The cleaner ruined the color of the boots. The darker color is from water staining, but the lighter color and streaking is all from the cleaner. Is there anything I can do to save my boots? I would be fine with dying them a darker color if that would be more likely to make them wearable again. Please help!

Name:  IMG_20140319_072904.jpg
Views: 7405
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  IMG_20140319_072911.jpg
Views: 5349
Size:  1.14 MB

Name:  IMG_20140319_072935.jpg
Views: 5134
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  IMG_20140319_072946.jpg
Views: 5337
Size:  1.23 MB

>>> Is there anything I can do to save my boots?

Yes the boots can be save, it is aniline type but need to positive identify if this is an Oil Pull-up fashion type will require additional treatment.

Do a pull or stretch test (with pictures) if the stress areas do lightens up.

Does this leather easily scuffs with fingernails scratches and lightens up, and does it disappear when rub or heat applied?

Is picture #4 shows leather still wet or damp, or it is completely dry with a darkening effect.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thanks for your fast reply!
    The leather is dry in all of the pictures, the color is darkened. I will post a picture of a stretch test later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post

Yes the boots can be save, it is aniline type but need to positive identify if this is an Oil Pull-up fashion type will require additional treatment.

Does this leather easily scuffs with fingernails scratches and lightens up, and does it disappear when rub or heat applied?

Is picture #4 shows leather still wet or damp, or it is completely dry with a darkening effect.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Here is the scratch test on the boots, before and after I scratched the leather with my fingernails.
    Name:  IMG_20140321_080729.jpg
Views: 5150
Size:  1.41 MBName:  IMG_20140321_080738.jpg
Views: 5047
Size:  1.56 MB

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Do the scratch marks disappear with a warm rub or heat applied?

How does the leather response with a pull stress - does it lightens up?

Like to determine if this is "Pull-up" leather finishes before I give my recommendation.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-21-2014 at 07:57 PM.

The scratch did seem to go away when I warmed it up and rubbed it with my fingers. The leather doesn't seem to change color when I stretch it - I am including a picture of the scratch before and after I rubbed it, as well as an area that I tried to stretch. I did not notice any color change.

Name:  IMG_20140324_204124.jpg
Views: 4946
Size:  1.32 MBName:  IMG_20140324_204211.jpg
Views: 4955
Size:  1.72 MBName:  IMG_20140324_204257.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  1.31 MB

Do the scratch marks disappear with a warm rub or heat applied?

How does the leather response with a pull stress - does it lightens up?

Like to determine if this is "Pull-up" leather finishes before I give my recommendation.

We still cannot confirm if yours is “Oil Pull-up” fashion leather. Unless we see how the original looks like. This oil effect may have evaporates thus leaving a lighter effect as well. Oil effect derives its color from the dyestuff (Aniline-21), fatliquor (Fatliquor-5.0) and oil effect (Oil Effect-2.8). The oil effect has its characteristic look also know as “crazy horse” or distress look with darkening effect, some loves it and some hates it. However, it is use for a practical purpose especially boots or shoes that has a tendency to wet and although it looks wet from the outside the inside is still dry (if the effect is still at its optimum moisture level. So we have to decide if this is what you want to restore the oil effect as well.

>>> The cleaner ruined the color of the boots. The lighter color and streaking is all from the cleaner.

There is a possibility that the cleaner you used is alkaline with alcohol content in it that causes the lightening effect. Non leather-safe (pH 3 – 5) products should not be used on more sensitive aniline finishes than pigmented finishes.
    Solution is to degrease it with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0 to produce a more even color, perhaps of the same as the lighter effect to be later darken back to close to the original.

>>> The darker color is from water staining.
    This darker color could be a combination of possible greasy water with high alkalinity, as both of these liquids will produce a darker effect.
    Solution to the problem is the same as above with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0.

When both the above lighter stain and darker stain is all balanced off, leather rejuvenating is the next phase to get the leather to shape with the help of a shoe tree. First the leather is stretch to the desired shape with the help of Hydrator-3.3, and then it is followed with replenishing it original fatliquor with Fatliquor-5.0.

The fashion effect with Oil Effect-2.8 is optional as the turn out may drive us “crazy” as well if we do not have the taste for it.

Topcoat (AnilineTop-21) will amplify and magnify the color intensity

A non-stick, rub-resistant (Protector-B+) ends the holistic approach to the solution.

Let me know what you think.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Product information

Name:  a20791513d39c02caed0b4_m.JPG
Views: 4790
Size:  87.3 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit A6.tc – Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit A6.tc, aniline leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for topcoat repairs from friction wear, accidental scratch, scuff and abrasion to deteriorating greasy sweat stains. These topcoat damages are identified as white, dull or darkening stain from bare body contacts. Accidental whitish damages in most cases are free of soiling and direct AnilineTop-21G application with in between dry sanding rectifies most damages. Repairs to topcoat from daily wears that dulls will require a degreasing to remove penetrated rub-in soiling prior to topcoat application in a sequence process including Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0; Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0 prior to topcoat application. In a greasy and sweaty topcoat damaged areas especially to the headrest and armrest, a deep degreasing is essential follows with Acidifier-2.0 to stabilize the hydrogen bonding between the protein fibers with the other leather constituent like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. This deep degreasing process is assisted by leather Eraser-4 in both the wet and dry cleaning process to remove soiling particulates off the leather surface. Hydrator-3.3 helps in the colloidal water movement bringing suspended soiling particulates to resurface through a dwelling and wicking process. Fat and oil is replenished by Fatliquor-5.0 in an emulsion form to penetrate into the leather structure. Once the fat and oil is hydrogen bond with the protein fiber, the water content breaks free leaving a breathing space for natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness preventing the leather structure from collapsing during compressing and flexing while the oil lubricates the fiber from sliding smoothly over one another like millions of connecting hinges. Protector-B+ impart a non-stick, rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel helps reduce friction wear to the topcoat and extended a high level of appearance for a longer period of time. When the leather is contaminated with foreign soiling, it is essential to look at topcoat refinishing in a holistic approach. Note that the cleaning and rejuvenating products suffix denotes its pH value in this leather-safe aniline leathers topcoat refinishing system.

Name:  a20791512d02c534abc4f6_s.jpg
Views: 4764
Size:  24.7 KB
    Leather Doctor Oil Effect-2.8

Leather Doctor® Oil Effect-2.8 is design for aniline and nubuck oil-pull-up leathers. This is a pH 2.8 emulsion blend for rejuvenating diminishing oil pull-up effect lost through usage, ageing or cleaning.

Thanks so much for your help! From remembering what the boots looked like when I bought them, I don't think that they are oil pull-up. I will definitely follow your recommendation for evening out the color and restoring the finish of the leather, but, and I think I will wait until after I finish to decide whether or not to add the oil pull-up.

Thank you again! This forum has definitely saved my boots.

Thread Information