Thread: Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Repair Minor Cat Damage and Soften on Loveseat

Default Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Repair Minor Cat Damage and Soften on Loveseat

I'm completely new to repairing leather damage, but this location appears to be a fantastic guide on fixing such issues. The loveseat below has sat mostly unused in a back room for approx. 5 years, and the leather feels stiff. Household pets have caused some minor damage by running over the armrests, and a bit of painting in the house (water based) has resulted in some minor discoloration.

I'd like to repair the dimples and scratches on the armrests and back (pictures below), remove the small amount of paint reside on the back, and soften the leather to be more supple. I'm fairly sure the leather is painted/protected/finished, and I've looked at the matrix/guide for pigmented leather for cat damage. I'm not sure how the guide references to actually repair to the damage with the appropriate chemicals, but based on past results I feel the guidance from this group will help me improve this piece of furniture to a better state than it is in now.

1. Arm 1
    Name:  arm2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  271.2 KB

2. Arm 2
    Name:  arm1.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  459.5 KB

3. Sample Back Damage 1
    Name:  back1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  374.9 KB

4. Paint
    Name:  paint1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  326.2 KB

5. Stretch Test
    Name:  stretch1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  338.0 KB

Recommendations, references, and any assistance is more welcome!

Thanks!

>>> I'm fairly sure the leather is painted/protected/finished, and I've looked at the matrix/guide for pigmented leather for cat damage. I'm not sure how the guide references to actually repair to the damage with the appropriate chemicals, but based on past results I feel the guidance from this group will help me improve this piece of furniture to a better state than it is in now.

Leather finishes identification has to be positively identified prior to cleaning and restoration. From picture “3. Sample Back Damage 1” it looks like it is – Pigmented (P.t) Two-Tone Finishes – see Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.

Name:  Pigmented- Two-Tone (P.t).jpg
Views: 439
Size:  740.1 KB

>>> The loveseat below has sat mostly unused in a back room for approx. 5 years, and the leather feels stiff . . . and to soften the leather to be more supple.

The stiffness of the leather is associated with the thickness of the leather structure and this has to be hydrated (Hydrator-3.3) to precondition the leather prior to fatliquor (fat, oil and water – Fatliquor-5.0) replenishing. However the finishes of the leather may impede any solution penetration (water pools on its surface) as shown in picture “5. Stretch test”, thus any leather rejuvenation is done from the reverse suede side or through the stitching rows, worn and scratches areas of the leather.

>>> Household pets have caused some minor damage by running over the armrests . . . I'd like to repair the dimples and scratches on the armrests and back.

Picture # “2. Arm 2” shows whitish damages with missing finishes. Good to check the reverse side if the color is the same, otherwise it could be other solid deposit that need to be removed or dyestuff need to be activated to reduce the color contrast. These repairs is done with Bond-3D with matching base color pigment with Micro-54 and thereafter with secondary coloring with secondary color 2Tone-37 follows with matching MicroTop-54.
    Note: that preparatory cleaning is mandatory with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 prior to repairs.

>>> and a bit of painting in the house (water based) has resulted in some minor discoloration. . . remove the small amount of paint reside on the back,

Using Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 with detail removing may save the existing finishes, otherwise using Stripper-2.3 will certainly remove part of the finishes to will need color and topcoat repairs as well.

>>> Recommendations, references, and any assistance is more welcome!

Kit Sa7.cl is the closest kit recommended with other products mention as add-on from this on-line store - http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet/StoreFront

Name:  a20791913d483342f572e8_m.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  86.0 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit Sa7.cl – Semi-Aniline Leather Color Refinishing Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Name:  a20791b12d259a74674b8_s.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  23.0 KB
    Leather Doctor Leather Bond-3D (30ml)

Leather Doctor® Leather Bond-3D is for leather structure bonding repairs, such as abrasion, cat-scratch, and filling repairs with Stucco-90, Pigment-64, Micro-54, Anline-76 and Aniline-21. This waterbased medium soft polyurethane leather bond will not lift the leather finishes unlike other dry solvent-based glue. Works in conjunction with leather Patch-4S as sub patch and suede fibers as fillers. Excess clean up when dry will require the help of Bond-7A.

Base color closest is “Ochre” from:

Name:  a20791c12d2fc05e06396e_s.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  24.8 KB
    Leather Doctor Micro-54

Leather Doctor® Micro-54 is design for micro pigmented leathers also known as semi-aniline. This is a waterbased compact resin blend high performance UV fade resistant pigment color coat.

MicroTop-54 is the matching sealing topcoat in this pigment series system.

Sixteen (16) standard colors are available for direct application or mix to match to produce a secondary or tertiary color.

Secondary color looks like “Maroon”

Secondary Color – 2Tone-37
    Sauvage leather finish is a two-tone fashion effect with two or more colors that add depth and character to the leather to create a multi-colored appearance. This effect can be done with various application techniques such as random spraying or spraying through a stencil with different shades of colors.

Name:  a20791d13f4a33d18d30e7_s.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  42.9 KB
    Leather Doctor® 2Tone-37

Leather Doctor® 2Tone-37 is a translucent hybrid dyestuff design for creating a two-tone, tipping, wiping, and random effect. This is a waterbased compact resin blend surface coating dyestuff that is also used to create the finer translucent semi-aniline effect.

Colors are available in popular Black, Maroon, Dark-Brown, Ochre-Brown, Red-Brown and Orange-Brown.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information