Thread: Pigmented (Simulated Leathers or Faux Leather) - Sticky Surface!

Default Pigmented (Simulated Leathers or Faux Leather) - Sticky Surface!

Hi everyone

Hopefully my question falls within the remit of this forum and would appreciate any suggestions.

I have struggled for a couple of years to find some dining chairs that match my cream leather sofa, with no success.

So desperate measure were required so I purchased 4 x chairs that are cream but a much lighter and frankly look out of place. By the way the material for these chairs is described as Faux Leather hence my initial question about the suitability of this forum.

My master plan was to buy an special aerosol spray from a company who say their paint is especially made to bond with Faux Leather. I duly found a perfect match, colour wise, and proceeded to spray one chair by way of an experiment. The good news was it went on OK and the colour is perfect. The bad news is that some two weeks later the surface is still tacky to the touch. Its not wet and the paint doesn’t come away on your hands or clothing but place the flat of your hand on the surface and take it off and its like peeling off a Band Aid. Maybe not quite that bad but if you sit back in the chair with say a woollen jumper on, then fibres stick to the surface.

So getting desperate and have three chairs in limbo. Anyone any ideas how I can harden up the surface ?

Oh in case someone suggests. I have tried contacting the suppliers but had no response

Regards

LW

This sequence of process may solve your problem:

1st
    Remove or strip unwanted finish with Stripper-2.3 from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...2.3/Categories

Name:  a20791d13f49f1c90e7a4d_s.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  40.1 KB
    Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3

Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3 is a pH 2.3 duality residue free hydrocarbon formulated leather finish stripper with bleeding control. It is use to remove existing old finishes or overspray for all leather types.

2nd
    Custom match for “Cream” color.
    Cream is almost 90% white with a combination of ochre for tint and black for shade.
    You may used this Pigement-64 for color matching from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...-64/Categories

Name:  Pigment-64 Series - Prostore.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  50.0 KB
    Leather Doctor® Pigment-64

Leather Doctor® Pigment-64 system is design for automotive, furniture and sports pigmented leathers. This is a waterbased compact resin blend high performance UV fade resistant opaque liquid pigment. A matching products system includes the prior use of Adhesor-73 to ensure better anchorage for better adhesion.

Matching topcoat is mandatory to seal it with PigTop-64 M for matte, G for gloss and S for satin finishes.

Sixteen (16) standard colors are available for a direct application or mixed to create a secondary or a tertiary color.

Adhesion Promoter is necessary to ensure no peeling problem with Adhesor-73 from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...-73/Categories

Name:  a20791b12d25a93e842e74_s.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  25.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Adhesor-73
    Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73 is an auxiliary for refinishing pigmented, aniline, bicast and simulated leathers. This is a waterbased compact resin adhesion promoter for a) smoothening abraded surfaces, b) ensure proper sealing and adhesion prior to color coating and c) used after Wax Effect-8.6 prior to topcoat application.

#4 Crosslinker solves the sticky problem from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...-25/Categories

Name:  a20791b12d25b0da356d51_s.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  24.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Crosslinker-25

Leather Doctor® Crosslinker-25 is an auxiliary for refinishing topcoats to improve adhesion properties and increase its film strength. This is a high solid crosslinker without the VOC (volatile organic compound). It is super-concentrated and when incorporating 5 to 10% to the topcoat it will significantly boost adhesion. By creating a tougher film that also ties up some of the hydrophilic elements that eliminate stickiness.

Topcoat determines the luster level and seals the colorcoat at the same time from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...-64/Categories

Name:  a20791812d349cbdee93bd_s.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  24.0 KB
    Topcoat – PigTop-64
    Clear topcoat is design to seals the pigment basecoat and decides its desired luster that range from matte, satin to gloss. Gloss is the strongest of the three and may be used as the initial coating prior adjusting the luster to satin or matte. These topcoats are intermixable to match the original luster. Pigment coloring alone without a sealing topcoat would be: a) poor in aesthetics; b) susceptible to tactile sensation such as tackiness; c) poor physical properties such as wet rub, sweat resistant and scuff resistant; d) poor in ageing properties such as soil resistant and wet cleaning resistant.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-27-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Leather Doctor PigTop-64

Leather Doctor® PigTop-64 is available in three levels of luster - matte, gloss and satin for pigmented leathers. For the finer micro -pigmented also known as semi-aniline leathers, use MicroTop-54 instead. These lusters are intermixable to produce the in-betweens to match. These are waterbased soft polyurethane topcoats that are lightfast and non-yellowing. They have excellent flow and leveling properties, recoatable and form a flexible tough film.

For extra strength and for rectifying existing finishes stickiness problem, an up to 10% of Crosslinker-25 is recommend into the mix.

#6 For a non-stick, rub-resistant, buttery-feel protection use Protector-B+ with a classic leather scent (or B for scentless) from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet...%29/Categories

Name:  a20791e12d028aeae1dae2_s.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  24.5 KB
    Leather Doctor Protector-B+
    Leather Doctor® Protector-B+, a buttery-feel with a classic leather scent is design for pigmented, aniline and nubuck oil pull-up leather types. This is a non-film forming, non-stick, rub-resistant protector that enhances a soft natural tactile feel for imparting a breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling and preventing the too common pesky ballpoint from ever ready rolling out its nasty ink. Moreover, for helping to release those tenacious blue jeans dye-transfer stains obviously on light colored leathers easily. Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch; scuff and abrasion with reduce friction squeaks

You will be happy with the result as I have done it and still doing it!

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information