Thread: Aniline (Full) - Preventing fading on this new red chair

Default Aniline (Full) - Preventing fading on this new red chair

I'm looking for advice on preventing or at least slowing down fading of this red chair and ottoman. It's less than a year old, the tag says it was built in Jan of this year and I bought it in Feb. The room it's in is a "sun room", but I have never had the shades up when direct sunlight would fall on it. However it has already started showing some signs of fading to an orange tone in the 9 months that I've had it and I'm thinking it may be from UV that still gets through the shades??

I'm very resistant to put any type of protector on it unless I'm confident it will not cause harm or change the way the leather feels or ages in any way. Is there anything you know of that would provide UV protection from fading (if you think that's what has caused the little bit of color change so far in the pic below) that would be completely safe?

1. Room
    Name:  8601494800_c96580726e_c.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  208.1 KB

2 Chair
    Name:  10869803666_17074b8c82_b.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  294.1 KB

3 Tag and leather sample
    Name:  10869923714_53f19ff743_b.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  360.6 KB

4 Fade line where cushion covers armrest
    Name:  10870110893_c434907228_b.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  288.6 KB

5 Detail of grain and finish
    Name:  10870118843_5d1c1cea80_b.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  336.4 KB
    Last edited by jefflaws; 11-15-2013 at 07:08 AM.

>>> Is there anything you know of that would provide UV protection from fading (if you think that's what has caused the little bit of color change so far in the pic below) that would be completely safe?

If there is an UV protection or inhibitor, it is already build-in into the dyestuff, that’s why some dyestuff fades faster than others. Pigment (opaque) has UV strength stronger than dyestuff (transparent). Pigments that come in outdoor quality are UV strength superior to the indoor quality.

Not known of any aftermarket UV protection product that is completely safe or does not distort the clarity of the appearance or does not alter the tactile-feel.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Gotcha, thanks!

Would you call this aniline or semi aniline? It does bead a water drop unlike my sofa set from the other thread.

From the reverse suede side we see it is dye through.

Aniline has a few version depending on the types of topcoating used, from gloss, matte, waxy-matte or pure / natural.

It looks more of a gloss finish.

Aniline leathers will be more expensive than semi-aniline, aniline leather is a gift from nature and only about 15% worldwide product can falls into this category.

Semi-Aniline will be the next in class where natural blemishes need to be camouflage with some micro-pigment to conceal these blemishes.

To differentiate the difference is to examine the finishes by test stripping and refinishing it.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information