Thread: Louia Vuitton - how to preserve or protect from darkening/stains on new vachetta leather

Default Louia Vuitton - how to preserve or protect from darkening/stains on new vachetta leather

Hello Roger,

I got another question for you. Is it possible to prolong or prevent the vachetta leather from darkening and protect it from stains on a brand new vachetta without changing or darkening the color? Can I use my leather doctor Kit V3 or what other product is available? I do have a leather water repellent spray I used on my older bag with vachetta leather but not on a brand new one. On my older LV bag, it seem to work fine but I am too scare to use it on my new bag? Please advice. Thanks.

>>> I got another question for you. Is it possible to prolong or prevent the vachetta leather from darkening and protect it from stains on a brand new vachetta without changing or darkening the color?

>>> Darkening:
    Darkening effect is from the accumulation of body oil, grease and sweat (the worst is the sweat that contains traces if urea that denatures the leather). Protector-D comes into help for this reason to season up the leather that contrasting appearance is reduced.

>>> Stains:
    Vachetta is pH sensitive, thus even tap and rainwater will easily marks and rings it, cause the leather behaves like a litmus paper. Hence clean alkaline will still stains it. Again Protector-D comes in play, seasoning the leather appearance in the process (test for appearance prior to using it).

>>> Sun Tan Darkening:
    Vachetta leather when exposed to UV or sunlight will tan up just like our skin. To reduce the tanning effect use Vachetta-2.8 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Protector-D (optional, testing for appearance prior to application).

>>> Can I use my leather doctor Kit V3 or what other product is available?

Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 is an option with obvious body oil, grease and sweat stains especially on used bag handles. Then follows Vachetta-2.8 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Protector-D (optional, testing for appearance prior to application).

>>> I do have a leather water repellent spray I used on my older bag with vachetta leather but not on a brand new one. On my older LV bag, it seem to work fine but I am too scare to use it on my new bag? Please advice.

The alternative for “water repellent” or “shower proofing” is to use Protector-D a water based product. When using a solvent based or aerosol solvent propel products the solvent may rings or displace the fatliquor thus subject to more stiffening of the leather that when flexed leads to cracks. However, the secret of stain resistant is in the level of moisture content within the leather structure. When the leather is fully saturated with fatliquor (fat, oil and water) it becomes less absorbent to further liquid stains. Thus the importance of Fatliquor-5.0 not only softens and strengthens the leather it resists or reduces staining problems as well.

Tips:
    A light stretch after Protector-D will improve lightening appearance.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Thread Information