Thread: Aniline Wax Pull-up - Leather Sectional Restoration and Scratch repair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aniline Wax Pull-up - Leather Sectional Restoration and Scratch repair

Hi Roger, thanks for the good information in this forum. I wanted to share some pictures and get some advice on the specific products and quantities.

Below is a photo of one half of a Bernhardt leather sectional that I acquired. The previous owner had a cat that got to it in several areas. He has trimmed the loose fibers in some areas and sanded the leather down, though I am not sure if it did more harm than good. I have this in my garage until it's refinished and ready to introduce into my living room.

Leather identification
    First off, I think this is a dyed Aniline. It absorbs water very easily in most areas, and it will lighten in color slightly when stretched. Could you confirm that this looks correct?

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 3427
Size:  601.6 KB

Here is a picture showing the fading that this sectional has endured. I would like to make this look nicer, but I am not set on bringing it back to full original, color matched perfection. I have kids, and this will be a piece of family furniture.

What is the closest color that you have to match this?

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 2333
Size:  714.6 KB

Next, you can see the pictures of the damaged areas. These were cat scratched pretty severely, and then trimmed and sanded slightly. It is still bumpy over the areas which you can see. As I understand it, I should harden it, sand some more, use a filler, and then sand again. Is this correct?

Also, there are 2 different leathers on this Sectional. The cushions and armrests are a very soft leather while the backing and immediately behind the headrest is a fairly hard leather. What does this mean? Will I need to treat these surfaces significantly differently?

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 2503
Size:  597.7 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 2320
Size:  562.0 KBName:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 2191
Size:  648.3 KB
    Last edited by b2948kevin; 07-25-2013 at 01:06 PM.

>>>First off, I think this is a dyed Aniline. It absorbs water very easily in most areas, and it will lighten in color slightly when stretched. Could you confirm that this looks correct?

Leather identification is the first step to cleaning and restoration, when the leather type is positively identified we can then follow accordingly to the appropriate “Leather Problem Solving Guide”.

Tips on a positive leather identification in this project.

By Appearance:
    Pictures #1, #2 & #4 (please put a number to the picture for easy reference for the next posting) looks aniline with a wax pull-up.
    The other 2 pictures show the back of the cushion that does not look like a pull-up without the wrinkle effect. Will need more pictures to show if these panel are all of the same type (at times there may have combination leather types and we want to be sure it will appear uniform throughout).

By Absorbency:
    Absorbency testing should be done on unused hidden areas. Even pigmented leather will be absorbent on used areas and becomes as absorbent.

By Stretch Test:
    A stretch or pull test is to the entire thickness of the leather and not merely on the surface, you will see a gradual lightening of color to the stress of the pull or stretch. Again this is preferably done on an unused area as well.

By Wax Effect Replenishing:
    A replenishing test is recommended when the wax effect has dried out or diminishes. This test is to confirm if the leather was originally a wax pull-up. It should saturate the leather easily and rejuvenate all the characteristic of a wax pull-up with Wax Effect-8.6.

Products information:

Name:  a20791712d02cb1930ca05_m.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  41.1 KB
    Leather Doctor Wax Effect-8.6
    Leather Doctor® Wax Effect-8.6 is design for aniline and nubuck wax pull-up leather types. This is a pH 8.6 waterbased emulsion for rejuvenating wax pull-up effect diminished through usage, ageing or cleaning.

>>>Here is a picture showing the fading that this sectional has endured. I would like to make this look nicer, but I am not set on bringing it back to full original, color matched perfection. I have kids, and this will be a piece of family furniture.
    What is the closest color that you have to match this? ...

Aniline Wax Pull-up leather finishes derives its color from a combination of a) Fatliquor-5.0, b) Wax Effect-8.6 and c) Aniline-21.

The color closest to your picture is Red-Brown.

A holistic approach is to hydrate the leather prior to color restoration that utilizes Hydrator-3.3 to activate the dormant dyestuff to resurface as well.

Products information for reading are:

Name:  a20791e12d02371dec74f1_m.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  41.1 KB
    Leather Doctor Hydrator-3.3

Leather Doctor® Hydrator-3.3 is a waterbased pH 3.3 leather-safe hydrator. It is a fatliquor preconditioner with multi functional abilities. Surface application is primary to check for even surface tension free of blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing. Structural application will require saturating to an optimum level with moisture oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
    The multi functional abilities include:
    a) to check for surface tension for an even appearance free from blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
    b) To plumps, relaxes and separates crushed, shrunk and stick together fibrils for manipulating away-unwanted creases and wrinkles.
    c) To rectify alkaline overexposure areas by facilitating colloidal water movement to redistribute the leather constituents from surrounding areas.
    d) To activate the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure for color refreshing.
    e) To facilitates colloidal water movement within the inter-fibrillary spaces for wicking foreign soiling particulates to resurface.
    f) To stabilize, pH balance and charge the protein fiber below its iso-electric point (pI) ionic positive to hydrogen bond with the ionic negative fatliquor more effectively. This universal Hydrator-3.3 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Name:  a20791e12d023aaf10f42b_m.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  41.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Fatliquor-5.0

Leather Doctor® Fatliquor-5.0, a micro emulsion of fat, oil and water is an anionic charged pH 5.0 fatliquor for rejuvenating all leather types. It relaxes coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles enhance suppleness and prevent cracking. It softens the leather with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility, while enhancing its rip tensile strength greatly. It is for replenishing the original fat and oil that diminishes thru sun-bleaching, ageing, heat and alkaline overexposure or cleaning. On application, the water-encased molecule breaks free when hydrogen bond attraction takes place between the fat and oil with the protein fiber. The excess free water content wicks out leaving a breathing space behind for leather natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness from easily collapsing into creases and wrinkles during stress or flex, while the oil lubricates the fibers so that they slide over one another smoothly like millions of inter-connecting hinges. Thus helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing. This universal Fatliquor-5.0 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Name:  a20791a12d397f6ece70cb_m.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  48.3 KB
    Leather Doctor Aniline-21

Leather Doctor® Aniline-21 is design for refinishing aniline leathers that is porous like smooth pure aniline or napped aniline like nubuck and suede. Other smooth aniline leathers that has existing impairing dye penetrating topcoat has to be stripped with the help of Stripper-2.3 otherwise use Aniline-76 instead to coat over existing topcoat. Aniline-21 is a new generation odorless waterbased “staining” transparent aniline dyestuff that is more lively and brilliant than most liquid dyes. Provides a more superior light fastness and fades resistance than most standard liquid dyes.

Matching topcoat is mandatory to seal it with AnilineTop-21N for natural, AnilineTop-21W for waxy-matte, AnilineTop-21G for gloss or AnilineTop-21M for matte finishes.

8 standard colors are available for direct application or to create a secondary or tertiary color to match.

Roger
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

>>>Next, you can see the pictures of the damaged areas. These were cat scratched pretty severely, and then trimmed and sanded slightly. It is still bumpy over the areas which you can see. As I understand it, I should harden it, sand some more, use a filler, and then sand again. Is this correct?

Sanding is an easy way out for such repairs and using a filler is meant for pigment finishes. When a transparent coloring is used thereafter, what ever repairs will show through.

Alternative to sanding is to tug-in all the fibers back in place with leather Bond-3D, the darkening repairs has to be camouflage with a darker color. You may see some original scars that appears dark as well.

Product Information:

Name:  a20791b12d259a74674b8_m.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  41.9 KB
    Leather Doctor Leather Bond-3D (30ml)

Leather Doctor® Leather Bond-3D is for leather structure bonding repairs, such as abrasion, cat-scratch, and filling repairs with Stucco-90, Pigment-64, Micro-54, Anline-76 and Aniline-21. This waterbased medium soft polyurethane leather bond will not lift the leather finishes unlike other dry solvent-based glue. Works in conjunction with leather Patch-4S as sub patch and suede fibers as fillers. Excess clean up when dry will require the help of Bond-7A.

>>>Also, there are 2 different leathers on this Sectional. The cushions and armrests are a very soft leather while the backing and immediately behind the headrest is a fairly hard leather. What does this mean? Will I need to treat these surfaces significantly differently?

The mono-tone stiffer leather is not the pull-up types and possible to redyed as transparent aniline with Aniline-76 “coating” dyestuff.

Product information:

Name:  a20791a12d397f6ece70cb_m.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  48.3 KB
    Leather Doctor Aniline-21

Leather Doctor® Aniline-21 is design for refinishing aniline leathers that is porous like smooth pure aniline or napped aniline like nubuck and suede. Other smooth aniline leathers that has existing impairing dye penetrating topcoat has to be stripped with the help of Stripper-2.3 otherwise use Aniline-76 instead to coat over existing topcoat. Aniline-21 is a new generation odorless waterbased “staining” transparent aniline dyestuff that is more lively and brilliant than most liquid dyes. Provides a more superior light fastness and fades resistance than most standard liquid dyes.

Name:  a20791d13f4a0a910d6147_m.JPG
Views: 2150
Size:  120.1 KB
    Leather Doctor Aniline-76

Aniline-76 is a transparent dyestuff that is design for coating over existing topcoat. This lively and brilliant new generation aqueous dyestuff provides a more superior light fastness and fades resistance than most standard liquid dyes.

To stain directly into leather with no impeding topcoat use Aniline-21 instead.

Use AnilineTop-76 thereafter to seal dyestuff from crocking or bleeding that also decides the luster with either gloss or matte, or a mix for a satin luster.

Nine (9) standard colors are available for direct application and for creating a secondary or tertiary color to match.

The popular Antique-Brown is an example of a mix of one part Orange, Red-Brown and Dark-Brown.

Thanks for the reply, Roger.

This is how I think I need to do the repair, can you let me know if my understanding is correct?
    All of the repairs will occur on the stiffer mono-tone leather backing
    After rehydrated and fatliquored, I will use the Leather Bond 3D to bond the damaged areas and lay down the fibers.
    I will then sand this area smooth, use a the Stucco 90 to fill, and then sand again for a good finish.

Products Needed
    Restoration
    Prep 4.4
    Cleaner 3.8
    Rinse 3.0
    Hydrator 3.3
    Fatliquor 5.0
    Aniline Dy 21 - color Red-Brown
    Wax Effect 2.8
    Protector D+

Repair
    Bond 3D
    Stucco 90
    Adhesor 73
    Leather Eraser 4
    Topcoat 79g

Questions
    Do I need to mix pigment with the filler or adhesor?
    How much of all of the products above will I need for the sectional that I have described?
    Last edited by b2948kevin; 07-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Here are some additional pictures of the stiffer mono-tone backing:

Pic 1Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 2135
Size:  774.7 KB

Pic 2Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1989
Size:  542.2 KB

Pic 3Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 2138
Size:  626.5 KB

Sequence of Process for the Mono-Tone Leather:

Strip Deteriorated Finishes:
    1. Stripper-2.3

Wet Preparation:
    2. Degreaser-2.2
    To work with Brush-1, Eraser-4 and/or 1500/2000grit wet sanding follows with towel extraction.
    3. Rinse-3.0
    Follows with towel extraction.

Leather Rejuvenation:
    4. Hydrator-3.3
    5. Fatliquor-5.0

Repairs:
    6. Bond-3D
    7. Stucco-90
    Note that when a transparent dyestuff is used thereafter, repairs may show through. To reduce contrast in appearance you may a) mix the stucco-90 with color dyestuff prior to application, b) Use a darker color dyestuff to camouflage the repairs. Red-Brown may be too light to cover efficiently, suggest going darker with Antique-Brown or Dark-Brown.

Sealing & Adhesion Coating:
    8. Adhesor-73
    a) To seal surface damages surface for a smooth finish.
    b) To ensure proper adhesion for the color coating.

Dye Coating:
    9. Aniline-76
    Top Coating:
    10. AnilineTop-76G

Non-Stick, Rub-Resistant Protection:
    11. Protector-B+

Sequence of Process for the softer Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather:

Strip Deteriorated Finishes:
    1. Stripper-2.3

Wet Preparation:
    2. Degreaser-2.2
    To work with Brush-1, Eraser-4 and/or 1500/2000grit wet sanding follows with towel extraction.
    3. Rinse-3.0
    Follows with towel extraction.

Stain Dyeing:
    4. Aniline-21

Leather Rejuvenation:
    5. Hydrator-3.3
    6. Fatliquor-5.0

Wax Effect Replenishing:
    7. Wax Effect-8.6

Optional Top Coating:
    8. Adhesor-73
    9. AnilineTop-21