Thread: 2005 King Ranch leather seats, dry, rough, dark, cracking, stains and faded – how best to restore them?

Default 2005 King Ranch leather seats, dry, rough, dark, cracking, stains and faded – how best to restore them?

I have King Ranch leather seats in my 2005 Ford Superduty. I believe they are Aniline. They are in fairly decent shape for their age, but they have been neglected. The seats are dry and rough (especially the front seats which receive the most use) There are very dark, rough cracking spots mostly on the driver seat. These areas are where the drivers arms and legs (bare skins I presume) over time have deposited oils on the leather and caused the damage/problems.

The leather in these areas has a crackly very dry rough texture in addition to the very dark discolor. I would like to know what would be the best way to restore this leather to the best shape possible. I can send some pictures if it will help relay the condition of the seats.
    These pix are of the worst spots. Although the rest of the seat areas are good, just dry and need attention also.

Thank you,
    Jason Hopper

Name:  IMG_20130501_105730.jpg
Views: 5031
Size:  1.57 MB

Name:  IMG_20130501_105745.jpg
Views: 4446
Size:  2.02 MB

Name:  IMG_20130501_105755.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  1.41 MB

Pictures continue. . .

Name:  IMG_20130501_105802.jpg
Views: 3715
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  IMG_20130501_105815.jpg
Views: 4362
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  IMG_20130501_105912.jpg
Views: 3693
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  IMG_20130501_105926.jpg
Views: 3700
Size:  1.44 MB

>>> I believe they are Aniline.
    Yes, these are aniline finished leathers, using a transparent dyestuff, to refinish as aniline and to camouflage some of the darkening blemishes a darker color is recommended.

>>>The seats are dry and rough (especially the front seats which receive the most use) There are very dark, rough cracking spots mostly on the driver seat. These areas are where the drivers arms and legs (bare skins I presume) over time have deposited oils on the leather and caused the damage/problems.
    The culprit that does the damaging is the “sweat”, it is the traces of urea in the sweat that when ferments shift alkaline that denature the leather and reverting them to rawhide. When fat and oil breaks bond with the protein fiber the leather becomes stiff and when flex cracks.

>>> The leather in these areas has a crackly very dry rough texture in addition to the very dark discolor.
    All penetrated grease and oil stains will turns the leather dark and when compounded with the sweat it makes the situation worse as the pH of the leather shifted alkaline. The rough texture will improves when deteriorated topcoat is removes as well.

Picture Observation:

This pictures show the seat is often used with body contact while wearing shorts. The sweat urea content does the damages to the leather and need to be neutralized or pH balance to ionic positive (+ve).

#2, #3 & #4.
    These pictures show the close-up of the cracks that may be weakens, re-strengthening and concealing of the cracks is done with Impregnator-26 into the leather structure.

This picture shows an assortment of stains and I believe most of these are food protein coagulating and tannin stains most likely from coffee and cream.

#6 & #7
    This hand rest is mainly body oil, grease and sweat contaminating damages.

The general sequence of restoration would involve these steps:

1.] Stripping of Deteriorated Finishing:
    Use Stripper-2.3 > Rinse-3.0

2.] Degreasing:
    Use Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0

3.] Specialty Stain Removal:
    Use d’Protein-10 > Acidifier-2.0 > d’Tannin-3.5

4.] Leather Rejuvenating:
    Use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0

5.] Repairs:
    Use Impregnator-26 (structural) > Bond-3D / 7A (surface).

6.] Transparent Aniline Dyestuff:
    Use Aniline-76 (antique brown) with (dark-brown) for shading to camouflage the darkest remaining stain areas.

7.] Seal Dyestuff:
    Use AnilineTop-76 gloss or matte, a mix will produce a satin luster of choice.

8.] Non-stick, rub-resistant Protection:
    Use buttery-feel leather-scented Protector-B+ or scentless Protector-B.

Most products mentioned are found in this Kit Aa7.cl with additional add-ons as necessary.

Name:  Aa7.cl.JPG
Views: 3760
Size:  2.38 MB

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thank you. Can you point me to a price list for all of the above? Thank you!

Thanks

Please check your email for prices. . .

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Got it. Thanks. I sent you a few more questions in the email.

My seats are in the exact same condition and I am trying to decide if this is something I can do myself or not. I am quite the DIY'er, but don't have much experience with Leather restoration. Could you PLEASE tell me if you were able to restore your seats? What was the process and do you have any 'After' pictures? I am very interested to hear from someone who has already gone through the process. Thanks!

Stealth67,

You may post your leather problems with good pictures on a new thread and I will help you out.

Roger
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information