PDA

View Full Version : Restoring vintage D&G shearling jacket

CJCThomas
11-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi. I've just purchased a vintage D&G shearling jacket and would like to restore it. The previous owner hadn't worn it for years, and yet it has a powerful musty odour mixed with the smell of smoke! The inside shearling has become quite natty/picky and it needs a good clean as well as a brush. There are a couple of dark spot stains inside. I would also like to recolour it the same, dark brown (avoiding getting any dye on the shearling on the outside!) and nourish the outside as its a very faded cracked brown and feels quite thin/fragile in places where it has worn out. However, there are no rips or tears or any other kind of damage. I've read I shouldn't wet it completely and even avoid wool detergents, so please could you advise how I would go about cleaning and recolouring this piece, what products I should be using and what and where to purchase? Many thanks again.

Roger Koh
11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Odor Problem (Inside/Outside):

This must be an initial smoke problem that went for improper storage (lack of ventilation) that causes mold growth that is off gassing together with the smoke. This is done with d’Mold-3.6 after a smoke deodorizing with Degreaser-2.2 + d’Smoke-4.7 > Rinse-4.0.

Smoke odor removal will be the first step follows with musty odor treatment.

Dark Stain Spots (inside):

The stain has to be indentified prior to using the proper solutions – please refer to the Problem Solving Guide for Shearling (Sg)

Shearling has become quite Natty/Picky (inside):

This stiffening of the nap will improve after the overall cleaning using the suede Eraser-5 for all agitation either wet or dry.

Cracked brown and feels quite thin/fragile (outside):
This leather texture will require a rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 to return the leather with softness and strength.

Recoloring
This is a two-tone savage fashion design with the lighter color beneath and the darker color above. Sure you can have it as a monotone color – just decide what shade you prefer. See problem solving guide for Napallan Pigment (P.n)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Sg.jpg
Leather-Safe Problem Solving Guide (Sg) – Shearling Leathers

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Pn.jpg
Leather-Safe Problem Solving Guide (P.n) – Nappalan Pigmented Leathers

Products mention for smoke odor removal is found in this Kit H4.so

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitH4so.jpg
Leather DoctorŽ Hair-on-Hide – Deodorizer – Smoke – Kit H4.so

Mold product is found in this Kit H4.mo ( Purchase the d’Mold-3.6 as an individual item instead to Kit H4.so

http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?8275-Hair-on-Hide-–-Odor-Killer-–-Mold-–-Kit-H4-mo

Here’s the product information for recoloring – dark brown will require a mix of black and maroon color

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/NapaSystem.jpg
NC-Pigment Coloring System (11):
Color:
Black,
White,
Ochre,
Tan,
Maroon,
Yellow,
Orange,
Red &
Blue.
Topcoat:
Satin &
Gloss.

Leather DoctorŽ NC-Pigment-84
It’s for soft lambskin and napa garment leathers; that forms a discontinuous breathable film for wearing comfort.
This is a lacquer emulsion high performance color coat; strong against UV light than standard pigment.
To provide a more color consistency than aniline dyestuff with its buttery softness warm characteristic.
Standard colors available in Black-412, White-405, Tan-486, Ochre-484, Maroon-402, Yellow-436, Orange-404, Red-454 and Blue-440.
This product is available in 60ml, 250ml and quart.
Email [email protected] for prices.
Instruction:
1] Prep clean - use Prep-7.7 follows by Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
2] Leather rejuvenation – use Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0.
3] Paint pad in a light circular motion avoiding streaks.
4] Blow dries prior to subsequent coat.
5] Topcoat protection - use Topcoat Napa-78S for Satin or Napa-44G for Gloss.

Leather DoctorŽ NC Topcoat-44G
It’s a gloss finish for lambskin and napa leathers.
This is a soft nitrocellulose lacquer emulsion topcoat.
Instruction:
1] Apply after NC-Pigment-84 otherwise prep clean - use Prep-4.4 follows with Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
2] Pad gently avoiding streaks or drips.
3] Let dry between coats.
4] Buttery-feel, non-stick protection with a classic leather scent - use Protection-B+ (leather Scent-B).

Leather DoctorŽ NC Topcoat-78S
It’s a satin finish for lambskin and napa leathers.
This is a soft nitrocellulose lacquer emulsion topcoat.
Instruction:
1] Apply after NC-Pigment-84 otherwise prep clean - use Prep-4.4 follows with Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
2] Pad gently avoiding streaks or drips.
3] Let dry between coats.
4] Buttery-feel, non-stick protection with a classic leather scent - use Protection-B+ (leather Scent-B).

Let me know what you think and we can go into more details when you have the products at hand.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

CJCThomas
11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi Roger, have emailed you regarding ordering these products, thanks, Carine

CJCThomas
11-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi Roger

I have just purchased kit H4.so for my jacket. Please could you instruct me on how I should be using in in regards to cleaning?

Thanks again,

Carine