PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Wax Pull-Up) - Restore proper feel to water damaged sofa

CTremblay
10-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Roger,
This sofa was in a water damage at my customers home. She is very found of piece and would like to restore the feel back to it.
Right now the leather feels dry to her. There might be staining too but I do not know since the pictures attached are all I have seen. What do you recommend?
Sincerely,
Chris

Roger Koh
10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
This leather is picture indentified as an “aniline wax pull-up”.

In a water damaged leather situation, either water raises from the floor level that stain the lower part of the sofa or it is from ceiling leaking onto the horizontal surface of the sofa.

In either situation you may seen the watermarks and it will depends on the soiling condition of the water either Category 1, 2 or 3. These water contents have to be known to decontaminate accordingly.

Another associated problem is the mold problem, when musty odor is detected, a leather-safe fungicide is recommended.

When such wax pull-up leathers feels dry, three main things in the leather is missing or has diminished.
First is the fatliquor conditioner, second is the wax effect conditioner and third is the non-stick, rub-resistant protector.

Fatliquor, besides softening up the leather with suppleness and strength it contributes to the intensity of the leather appearance. Wax effect conditioner imparts the characteristic of the leather; it gives the leather a deep intensity so that when stretch will give the contrast in the appearance. Rub-resistant protection reduces the surface wear of the leather.

The phases of work for this project may involve the following sequence of process:

1] Alkaline water stains has to be neutralized with an Acidifier.
Use Acidifier-2.0

2] Inspect and check the source of the water to determine the contamination level.
Use d’Bacteria-3.7 for source of microbial contamination.

3] General Restorative Cleaning
Use Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0

4] Leather Rejuvenation
Use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0

5] Fashion Wax Effect Rejuvenation
Use Wax Effect-8.6

6] Non-stick, Rub-resistant Protection with a classic leather scent
Use Protection-D+

Optional finish restoration includes the use of
Aniline Dye-21 + Adhesor-73 > Topcoat-79G

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/AnilineWaxPullUp11-LPG.jpg

Aniline Wax Pull-Up Leather : Leather-Safe Problem Solving Guide-AW9

Some of the products mentioned can be found in this kit:

[CENTER]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitAw6dr.jpg
Leather DoctorŽ Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather – Color Refinisher & Degreaser – Kit Aw6.dr

Roger Koh
[email protected]

CTremblay
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks Roger,
I ended up applying Fatliquor-5.0 to the piece it not only brought back the original hand to the piece, but restored the color to affected area.
Chris

Roger Koh
12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Good to hear such good news.

Do you have the after pictures to share?

Roger