PDA

View Full Version : Advice for verdigris removal from leather caused by brass hardware

farefinta
09-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I have removed an area of vedigris from the pebble leather in photo 2, also the color came off in the removal process. The verdigris caused some pit holes in the leather and is still inside the holes, I have not been able to lift it out, the holes are so small it isn't showing in the photo but I can see the green with a jeweler's magnifier. There is also some verdigris I would like to remove but I don't want to lift off the color or the finish: on the tan trim #1, behind the rivets where the leather touches the brass #2. Is this possible to do Roger?

Roger Koh
09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes, a complete removal without damaging to the leather finish has been proven especially cleaning off brass studs on chesterfield style upholstery, brass zipper that have contacted suede.

Just use cotton swab to apply direct to the stain and leave it until dry to see the chemical reaction, for heavier stain a repeat may be necessary. When the stain varnish with satisfaction neutralize it with Basifier-8.8 and leave until dry.

Further reading:

Stain Remover - Tarnish
Tarnish stain remover is design for removing any stains cause by metal, be it rust or tarnish. Quite often, tarnish stains developed around upholstery tacks, or metal accessories of leathers including from button and zipper of garments, and most often near metal buckles of belts and bags. Most tarnish stain-remover is a low pH acidic solution and is recommended to be neutralized thereafter, with a low alkaline basifier. Tarnish stain remover is another acidic product that works by chemical reaction at the molecular level.

Products mentioned are d’Tarnish-1.3 and Basifier-8.8 found in this Kit A3.hs

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitA3hs.jpg
Leather DoctorŽ Kit A3.hs = Aniline Leather Care + Dye-Remover + Tarnish Remover

Roger Koh
[email protected]