PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - Possible to Salvage this Chair?

edbloom
07-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Roger I am hoping for some guidance on restoring this analine chair. I have attached pictures to help you get an idea with what we are working with. I had no idea my fathers head was so oily... I hope the apple falls well away from the tree on that one. Along with the oily head stain the arms are pretty bad as well. Finally, the sun seems to have done its magic on the left side as well as the back. I have more pictures if needed. Thanks and great forum!!
#1 - Hair Oil
#2 - minor liquid stains
#3 - Arm Stain and cracking
#4 - Faded Side
#5 - Original Color

Roger Koh
07-16-2012, 08:19 AM
This leather is identified as aniline leather with a gloss topcoat. Picture #1 show natural scar show through the transparent finishes

Picture #1 – Head Oil:
What we see is less than what we don’t see; the reverse suede side fiber is looser so it holds more of the body contamination than the grain tighter fiber side.
This oily head stain may most possibly a compound stain that may include hair dressing and the most damaging component is from sweat; sweat contains traces of uric acid and shift alkaline when it ferments.
One such side effect of sweat damages it tackiness or in worse cases sliminess when finger tested with water; another is bleeding, color transferring to a wet cloth.
Besides the stains, the coarse breaks or creases is a tell tale sign that the leather is stiff; and may becomes crusty or noisy when flex.
Headrest showing signs of fading, the difference in color intensity from the top to the bottom.

#2 - Minor Liquid Stains:
Most of liquid stains on aniline leathers are penetrated, protein based stain being the toughest to remove as it is also coagulating and binds strongly with the leather protein fibers as well. See the aniline leather problem solving guide below. Lighter scratch marks shows damages to the topcoat. Coarse breaks are a sign of leather dryness. Fading is also found in this picture.

#3 - Arm Stain and cracking:
A similar situation with picture #1

#4 - Faded Side:
The entire side panel takes on a difference shade of color, as compare with others, although receiving the same amount of sunlight; shows that originally the leather from different parts of the hides receive different intensity of dyes and it is most probably due to its porosity of the fibers. The easier method of evening out the desired color is to “coat dye” it rather than to “stain dye” it.

#5 - Original Color:
This original color looks like “red brown”, however colors has to camouflage the headrest and armrest areas and may need “dark brown” to shade it for a more even appearance.

Some guidance on restoring this aniline chair may be as follows in this sequence of processes:

A] Wet Preparation:

A1] Unknown Protein Based Stains:
Use d’Protein-10 > Acidifier-2.0
See others from the below aniline leather problem solving guide.

A2] Degreasing & Sweat Neutralizing:
Use Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0

A3] Hydrating:
Use Hydrator-3.3

A4] Fatliquor Replenishing:
Use Fatliquor-5.0

B] Dry Preparation:
Use Eraser-4 + Fine 1500/200 sanding to match accordingly.

C] Repairs:
Use Impregnator-26.
Stain removal from armrest may reveal leather damages, structural repair to strengthen it is done with Impregnator-26 as an option (the repair darkening effect is a factor to consider having a darker color to camouflage it thereafter for the entire chair).

D] Adhesion Coating:
Use Adhesor-73
This is a foundation for aniline dye coating without removing the existing topcoating entirely; otherwise the entire existing coating needs to be stripped clean for “stain dyeing”.

E] Dyeing:
Use Aniline Dye-21 + Adhesor-73 + Thickener-48
This is done by using a simple Badger 250 Basic Spray Gun.
The basic color is using “red brown” with “dark brown” to shade it darker to cover blemishes.

F] Topcoat:
Use Aniline Topcoat-79G
This is a gloss transparent that will amplify both the natural beauty as well as blemishes of the grain.

G] Non-stick, run-resistant Protection:
Use Protection-B+
This leather scented protection prolongs the life of the finishes; that also imparts a natural buttery feel that reduces leather rubbing noises – enhancing the leather more sensuous.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Aniline13-LPG.jpg
Leather-Safe Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide-A9

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/A5w.jpg
Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather - Color Refinisher - Worn Repair - Kit A6.w
Suggested Color Combination:
Red Brown,
Dark Brown

Roger Koh
[email protected]