PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - How to restore my Leather Sofa?

zeninblue
04-22-2012, 08:16 AM

The most are body oil the stains, some are beverage or saltwater stains. I tried leatherique rejuvenator oil & pristine cleaner but unfortunately the product cannot erase the dark oil stains. So I think I should consider leather restore products. Please recommend products for cleaning, preping, and refinishing. I like the original color. The closest color of the chestfield sofa should be cognac in the link below.

http://www.theleathersofashop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/leather/la/selvaggio-cognac.jpg

Please see the attached pics.

thanks a lot...

Patrick:confused:

Roger Koh
04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Body Oil Stains:
Body oil or grease stains may also include sweat; oil or grease will darkens as it penetrates these aniline leathers and degreasing is done deep into the leather with a pH 2.2 degreaser. This low pH of the degreaser is designed to take care of the sweat that shift the pH of the leather alkaline, thus reduce bleeding while doing the degreasing.

Beverage Stains:
The problem with beverage stains, besides the artificial coloring, there is also the natural tannin that yellows or browns that may require specialty stain removal; and one typical product for such is the d’Tannin-3.5 leather-safe bleaching treatment.

Salt Water Stain:
Salt is alkaline and dried stains would have a whitest hue; using the standard Cleaner-3.8 with a pH of 3.8 and Rinse-3.0 pH 3.0 will easily remove and pH balance it.

Restorative Cleaning:
As the main concern is body oil, grease and stains that are penetrated, besides concentrating on these areas; the rest of the leather is so feather-out and done with these two steps; Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0.

Inspection:
After degreasing, the beverage stains and the salt water stains areas are inspected; in most likelihood they may be gone; otherwise, to proceed accordingly.

Refinishing:
In most cases, the heavy wear and stain areas topcoat is already wear off; and need to be refinished with Topcoat-79G.
To return back to the original lighter color is quite possible; as the dormant dyestuff from the leather structure can be reactivated to resurface. This is done with Hydrator-3.3, dwelling it up to 72hrs to equalize the surface appearance. Note that this is easily accomplished where sun fading is concern, situation differs when it is contaminated that differentiate the appearance. However it is still a good try prior to deciding to re-dye as the last resort. When comes to re-dyeing, the existing topcoat may be a hindrance to allowing the dye to penetrate evenly; however this is overcome by coating the existing surface instead with the help of Adhesor-73.

Kit A6.dr is the recommended kit
Aniline Leather – Color Refinisher & Degreaser – Kit A6.dr; is the recommended kit, with possibly d’Tannin-3.5 as add on.

The cognac color seems to be lighter than the pictures;

The cognac color could be a possible mix from three colors: yellow, orange and dark brown.

The pictures color could be from rubine wit mixed of yellow.

We can discuss how best to achieve your desired color, and it is still too early to determine as aniline dyes are transparent and not able to block out darker color beneath unlike opaque paints.

In this situation it has to go with the darkest shade to even out the appearance in this general process.

1] Degreasing

2] Specialty Spot and Stains Removal

3] Leather Rejuvenating

4] Re-dyeing

5] Top-coating

6] Protection

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitA6dr.jpg
Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather – Color Refinisher & Degreaser – Kit A6.dr

Standard Colors:
Black,
Yellow,
Orange,
Red,
Red Brown,
Rubine,
Blue &
Dark Brown

Custom Color Matching Available on Request

Roger Koh
[email protected]

zeninblue
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
thank you so much for your reply and recommendation. Where to buy the Kit A6.dr? I have no idea what the size of each. It is 3-seat sofa, 2-seat loveseat, and a chair. The stains distribute as you see. Delivery option? UPS or Canada Post. Would you please send me the price list of the kit?

thanks again.

Body Oil Stains:
Body oil or grease stains may also include sweat; oil or grease will darkens as it penetrates these aniline leathers and degreasing is done deep into the leather with a pH 2.2 degreaser. This low pH of the degreaser is designed to take care of the sweat that shift the pH of the leather alkaline, thus reduce bleeding while doing the degreasing.

Beverage Stains:
The problem with beverage stains, besides the artificial coloring, there is also the natural tannin that yellows or browns that may require specialty stain removal; and one typical product for such is the d’Tannin-3.5 leather-safe bleaching treatment.

Salt Water Stain:
Salt is alkaline and dried stains would have a whitest hue; using the standard Cleaner-3.8 with a pH of 3.8 and Rinse-3.0 pH 3.0 will easily remove and pH balance it.

Restorative Cleaning:
As the main concern is body oil, grease and stains that are penetrated, besides concentrating on these areas; the rest of the leather is so feather-out and done with these two steps; Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0.

Inspection:
After degreasing, the beverage stains and the salt water stains areas are inspected; in most likelihood they may be gone; otherwise, to proceed accordingly.

Refinishing:
In most cases, the heavy wear and stain areas topcoat is already wear off; and need to be refinished with Topcoat-79G.
To return back to the original lighter color is quite possible; as the dormant dyestuff from the leather structure can be reactivated to resurface. This is done with Hydrator-3.3, dwelling it up to 72hrs to equalize the surface appearance. Note that this is easily accomplished where sun fading is concern, situation differs when it is contaminated that differentiate the appearance. However it is still a good try prior to deciding to re-dye as the last resort. When comes to re-dyeing, the existing topcoat may be a hindrance to allowing the dye to penetrate evenly; however this is overcome by coating the existing surface instead with the help of Adhesor-73.

Kit A6.dr is the recommended kit
Aniline Leather – Color Refinisher & Degreaser – Kit A6.dr; is the recommended kit, with possibly d’Tannin-3.5 as add on.

The cognac color seems to be lighter than the pictures;

The cognac color could be a possible mix from three colors: yellow, orange and dark brown.

The pictures color could be from rubine wit mixed of yellow.

We can discuss how best to achieve your desired color, and it is still too early to determine as aniline dyes are transparent and not able to block out darker color beneath unlike opaque paints.

In this situation it has to go with the darkest shade to even out the appearance in this general process.

1] Degreasing

2] Specialty Spot and Stains Removal

3] Leather Rejuvenating

4] Re-dyeing

5] Top-coating

6] Protection

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitA6dr.jpg
Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather – Color Refinisher & Degreaser – Kit A6.dr

Standard Colors:
Black,
Yellow,
Orange,
Red,
Red Brown,
Rubine,
Blue &
Dark Brown

Custom Color Matching Available on Request

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Although the stains are distributed, especially seen at the front side seat cushion, in picture #4; the finishes is already damaged with soiling accumulation. Similar finish damages is also seen on the cushion seat where it's a more of a rub-off of the finish.

To even out the appearance all darken stains areas has to be reduce to the lightest color possible, just like the cognac sample or the lightest color possible as compare to any unused areas. It is thereafter adjusted by Hydrator-3.3 to reactivate dormant dyestuff within the leather thickness; just like releasing tea color from hot water to wick the original color up to the surface. Fatliquor-5.0 will further impart richness of color to the leather besides restoring texture suppleness.

So, surely there is a need for refills. This kit is just for try out a section or a cushion and we will know how much is sufficiently to produce the result that you desired.
For the technicality, we shall go into details steps by steps along the way.

You may also post some overview pictures of the entire set – the 3-seat sofa, 2-seat loveseat, and a chair.

Check your email for the PayPal invoice and it is by Canada Post.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

zeninblue
04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I will upload more pics. thanks.

Although the stains are distributed, especially seen at the front side seat cushion, in picture #4; the finishes is already damaged with soiling accumulation. Similar finish damages is also seen on the cushion seat where it's a more of a rub-off of the finish.

To even out the appearance all darken stains areas has to be reduce to the lightest color possible, just like the cognac sample or the lightest color possible as compare to any unused areas. It is thereafter adjusted by Hydrator-3.3 to reactivate dormant dyestuff within the leather thickness; just like releasing tea color from hot water to wick the original color up to the surface. Fatliquor-5.0 will further impart richness of color to the leather besides restoring texture suppleness.

So, surely there is a need for refills. This kit is just for try out a section or a cushion and we will know how much is sufficiently to produce the result that you desired.
For the technicality, we shall go into details steps by steps along the way.

You may also post some overview pictures of the entire set – the 3-seat sofa, 2-seat loveseat, and a chair.

Check your email for the PayPal invoice and it is by Canada Post.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

zeninblue
04-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Hi Roger, I just uploaded more pics. Please recommend more. Do You think I need to try the kit first?

I agree with you the color should be from rubine mixed of yellow. would you please let me know how to precisely match the original color? Will that be elaborated in the Kit?

1) 3-seat sofa:

zeninblue
04-26-2012, 06:26 AM
2) 2-seat loveseat:

zeninblue
04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
3) chair:

Roger Koh
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
The kit is to test out isolated stains areas and I will indicate from pictures exactly the location to see how the stain response.

From this testing result we can gauge the intensity of color sufficiently matching the darkest areas – that should be the practical color if you are retaining as aniline finish by staining or by coating.

I will send you prices of refills and concentrates are available to save on shipping.

Mixing is done by ratio; counting droplets using a plastic pipette; example 1 drops of rubine with 4 drops of yellow will lighten the color; or a 1 drop of dark brown to 4 drops of rubine will darkens the rubine.

These color mixed is put on a white paper, let dry and match against the leather until you get the matching shade; note that color intensity increases as these are “transparent” color.

More accurately, this color matching has to come from these color range: rubine, yellow, orange and dark-brown.

When the color matching is right, knowing the ratio mixed; example rubine 4; yellow 3; orange 2; and dark-brown 1.

The actual bigger portion mixed is done by weight ready for application.

We can go into more details during your try out.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

zeninblue
05-13-2012, 04:28 AM
Hi Roger,

Because I had one week vacation but forgot to pay the invoice before I left. So would you please resend the invoice for Kit A6.dr? As we discussed, I need rubine in the Kit but need to add yellow to do the matching. I just sent an email to [email protected].

thank you and sorry for the inconvenience,

Patrick

The kit is to test out isolated stains areas and I will indicate from pictures exactly the location to see how the stain response.

From this testing result we can gauge the intensity of color sufficiently matching the darkest areas – that should be the practical color if you are retaining as aniline finish by staining or by coating.

I will send you prices of refills and concentrates are available to save on shipping.

Mixing is done by ratio; counting droplets using a plastic pipette; example 1 drops of rubine with 4 drops of yellow will lighten the color; or a 1 drop of dark brown to 4 drops of rubine will darkens the rubine.

These color mixed is put on a white paper, let dry and match against the leather until you get the matching shade; note that color intensity increases as these are “transparent” color.

More accurately, this color matching has to come from these color range: rubine, yellow, orange and dark-brown.

When the color matching is right, knowing the ratio mixed; example rubine 4; yellow 3; orange 2; and dark-brown 1.

The actual bigger portion mixed is done by weight ready for application.

We can go into more details during your try out.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
05-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Patrick,

PayPal invoice resend.

Roger

zeninblue
05-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks Roger, I have paid through paypal and sent you email to [email protected]. Please check my mailing address there.

Patrick,

PayPal invoice resend.

Roger