PDA

View Full Version : How to get the “shine” off this 2005 Acura RL leather steering wheel?

Questions!
03-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Can you tell me how I can go about getting one of your Leather Doctor Kits?
I have a leather wrapped steering wheel that needs some restoration.
I’m attaching two pictures of the leather: steering wheel and seat.
The vehicle is a 2005 Acura RL (parchment interior color – pix of seat (below) is pretty accurate on color) and I’m guessing the leather is semi-aniline, perhaps pigmented.
It’s definitely not pure aniline as water sits on the surface and does not soak in.
I’m most interested in getting the “shine” off of the steering wheel leather, much like you did with your BMW.
I’d like to use your kit on the rest of the leather interior as well go give it a good cleaning and protecting.
The car belongs to my wife and she’s been pretty good about keeping the interior clean (no smoking, food).
Thanks for your help with this.
R.J.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Auto%20Interior/Acura-Steering20Wheel.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Auto%20Interior/Acura-Passenger20Seat.jpg

Roger Koh
03-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I’m most interested in getting the “shine” off of the steering wheel leather,

Observation:
Well you didn’t mention how the shine come about; could it be some other products used or just soiling build-up through the years.
Besides, there are micro cracks developing from the punched holes; indicating that the leather below surface is dried of its original fatliquor.
The micro cracks may not be apparent when the crack filled soiling is removed all together with the shine.

Procedure for Restorative Cleaning:
The shine and other contamination are removed with the penetrating, lubricating and suspending power of the Prep-7.7. This is done by applying to the horsehair detailing brushes prior to agitating to the leather, just like brushing our teeth with toothpaste; and wipe off with absorbent white towel until towel shows clean. It is also recommended to let the Prep-7.7 dwell for at least 4 hours for the product to do its work on stubborn soiling follow with towel extraction. This dwelling and extraction cycle may be repeated up to 72 hours for extreme cases.
The sticky residue is removed with Cleaner-3.8 follows with towel extraction until towel shows clean. All remaining residue including Cleaner-3.8 is totally removed by Rinse-3.0 to a healthy squeaky clean.
The darkening effect to the leather through the absorbent micro-cracks may be mistaken for soiling; it is recommended to let it perfectly dry for a thorough inspection, otherwise repeat until all soiling and shine are removed.

Procedure for Leather Rejuvenation:
Leather rejuvenation follows immediately after a good inspection; to replenish the diminished original fatliquor that also reduce the crack lines as the leather plumps up with fullness. Advance technique is to wrap the steering wheel with layers of facial tissue paper damp with Hydrator-3.3 acting as reservoir for the leather to slowly draw from. To control evaporation it is recommended to cling wrapped with clear plastic sheet commonly used to wrapped food. This wrapping can be left for up to 72 hours for extreme cardboard stiffness cases, with periodic topping of the Hydrator-3.3 for an effective hydrating process. Thereafter both plastic cling wrapper and tissue is remove for excess water to evaporates and while still damp fatliquor process continues.
If the above process has not darkens the leather at all or there is no sign that the hydrator has penetrated the non-absorbent finishes, simply ends the rejuvenating process at this point.
Fatliquor replenishing is done with Fatliquor-5.0 in the same manner as the Hydrator-3.3, with advance technique using both the facial tissue paper and cling wrapper and mentioned above. When the wrappings are removed and let to natural drying, any surface excess is wiped away with Hydrator-3.3.

Inspection:
Inspect if the shine is gone to satisfaction, any excess of fatliquor at this stage on the finish may contribute to the shine and is easily remove with Hydrator-3.3 or Ckleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.
Re-topcoat is an option to repair wears to the original, use a cotton swab and do a testing on hidden area; fast dry with hair dryer to inspect the luster of your liking. When satisfactory the Topcoat-72M can be applied using the lint-free rag with very little pressure from the kit and let dry between coating. Prior to the re-top-coating, its recommended to erase the leather with Eraser-4 or a fine scotch pad (without scratching) to remove wick-up residue if any.

the rest of the leather interior as well go give it a good cleaning and protecting.

Repeat what you have done to the leather interior as well.
The only caution is not to push the Prep-7.7 into the perforated holes of the seat center panels.

Here’s the recommended Kit AP5.r (AP3.t)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/AP3t.jpg
Leather Doctor® Auto Pigmented Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit AP5.r (AP3.t) (matte)

Please email me your interest in the kit with shipping address and I shall prepare you a PayPal invoice.

Roger Koh
[email protected]