PDA

View Full Version : Moldy leather chairs

Cool spot
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Hello,

I have 2 norwegian recliners with a bad mold problem. I live in the tropics in an un-airconditioned house, so it will be an ongoing problem. The chairs are only 5 1/2 years old. I cannot tell from the mfg website which type of leather they are, but they were very soft with a deep pebble grain. I don't know if it's appropriate to post the manufacturer here.

I am sick about this, and I don't believe there are any local leather repair shops. Do you need me to send a photo of the damaged chairs to determine the type? I will continue to see if I can find the leather type from the manufacturer.

Thank you for your help.

Roger Koh
12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Please post pictures, any problem just email to me; I sure will help you identify it. As for the mold, the recommended solution is an 8 monthly treatment for a long term solution.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Cool spot
12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
606 Cracks

607 Mold

608 x2

This was scrubbed today with the manufacturer's recommended product.

I have two of these but this is by far the worst.

Thanks for your help. If you need photos in natural light I can do that tomorrow.

Roger Koh
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the picture, I think you can email me bigger picture, I do the posting for you.

It looks like they are pigment finished.

How is the leather absorbency, does liquid pools on its surface (un-used areas, used areas and mold growth areas).

Is there a way to see the reverse side of this leather?

We will confirm if this is micro-pigmented or pigmented before going into other concern.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

ledbetter
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Posting a picture would help. I have a boat with some leather furniture on the interior. Looks great, but is susceptible to mold. West marine sells a mold removal solution that works great for me. Its not great a removing heavy mold, but it does keep mold from showing up in the first place. Not sure if this would work in your case, but maybe something to think about.

Roger Koh
02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Kit P3.mk – Leather Mold Killer Kit is what you will need for a long term solution. . .

Restoration Cleaning
1. Surface contamination is safely removed with a HEPA vacuum cleaner.
2. Prep-7.7 is applied to the surface a section at a time, agitates with horsehair Brush-1, let dwell 10 to 30 minutes and towel extract until towel shows
clean.
3. Sticky residue is cleaned with Cleaner-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 and towel extract until towel shows clean.

Fungicidal Treatment
1. When dry spray d’Mold-3.6 and let it soak until natural dry.

Hydrating
1. Hydrator-3.3 is applied to soak into the leather to relax stiff and stick together fibers and to wick out suspended foreign
contamination.
2. Wrapping the leather with paper towel and wet it out with Hydrator-3.3 is an advance technique to let the leather soak up
the hydrator.
3. The paper towel is left on the leather to dry naturally; this technique allows the wick soiling particulates to be trapped by the
paper towel instead of remaining on the leather surface.

Fat and Oil Replenishing
1. Fatliquor-5.0 is applied and distributed with a foam brush until the leather is saturated.
2. Continuous second or third application is repeated each round the water contents evaporates until the leather is saturated.
3. Leave the leather for natural drying for extra softness.

Rub-Resistant Protection
1. Protector-B+ is applied by mist spray, spread with paper towel and ready for use when dry.

Products mentioned are found in this Kit P3.mk

Leather DoctorŽ Kit P3.mk is specially developed for pigmented leather mold preventive and decontamination care during storage or growth. Water damaged leather and storing in a humid condition promotes mold growth. The presence of mold infestation is detected by its characteristic musty odor and moldy appearance. Mold is a living organism and damages are progressive that timely preventive anti-fungicidal control is preferred over corrective restoration. A progressive mold infestation will result in unsightly sinking pits that may require physical removal with refinishing. When leather is store away, a d’Mold-3.6 treatment preserves the leather for a period of 8 months. d’Mold-3.6 is a waterbased leather-safe non-phenol fungicide developed to kill mold growth. An effective mold decontamination process would include a restorative cleaning with Prep-7.7, sticky residue removed with Cleaner-3.8 and follows by Rinse-3.0. Mold growth draws its nutrients from the leather fat and oil and will need replenishing. Rejuvenating the leather includes hydrating to relax the stick together fibers and to eliminate surface tension for an even appearance with Hydrator-3.3. Fatliquor follows immediately with Fatliquor LS-5.5 to return the leather with softness and imparting a classic leather scent. This follows with d’Mold-3.6 treatment when dry and proceeds with Protector-B+ for a holistic leather care. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach for both leather mold preventive and corrective care.