PDA

View Full Version : How to restore this ’03 Marauder Leather Steering Wheel and Seats from getting any worse?

Roger Koh
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Second I have this ‘03 Marauder that I mentioned in the last email and it has much less wear overall, though it does have some wear that I would like to at least stop from getting any worse. I've included pictures of that as well; I hadn't noticed the color spot difference on the back of the steering wheel until taking the picture. So it doesn't bother me a whole lot as I never see it... However the steering wheel leather seems dry? As the leather isn't very soft, more tight and wrinkled near stitching. The pictures of the seats show some of the cracks but they aren't too deep. The headrest is hard like cardboard and has tons of little bumps all over it...hasn’t seen that before it’s kind of weird. The console has a small line going across it and they have been known to crack. The line is very thin and hard to see even in the picture.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder7-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder6-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder5-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder4-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder3-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder2-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/03Marauder1-7.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/IMAG0419.jpg

Roger Koh
08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Picture #1
I hadn't noticed the color spot difference on the back of the steering wheel until taking the picture. So it doesn't bother me a whole lot as I never see it...

This looks like accumulative of scratches – easily rectified with matching luster topcoats.

Pictures #2, #3 & #6.
However the steering wheel leather seems dry? As the leather isn't very soft, more tight and wrinkled near stitching.

It is the opening of these stitching holes where the original fatliquor diminishes as VOC (volatile organic compound). The solution to revert the problem is to hydrate and fatliquor it with the Leather Rejuvenating System with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0.

Pictures #5 & #7
The pictures of the seats show some of the cracks but they aren't too deep.

A restorative cleaning is recommended to remove accumulative soiling to the original OEM finish often mistaken for cracks – Prep-7.7 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.

Picture #4
The headrest is hard like cardboard and has tons of little bumps all over it...hasn’t seen that before it’s kind of weird.

A restorative cleaning is also recommended as above, depending if the leather is absorbent by testing with Hydrator-3.3 prior to fatliquor to soften it. However, it may be accumulative conditioner residue that turns hard – by complete restorative cleaning and treat it with leather Scent-B thereafter will impart a natural smooth buttery feel.

Picture #8
The console has a small line going across it and they have been known to crack. The line is very thin and hard to see even in the picture.

This may be the natural inherent of the leather; however to prevent from cracking – if it can be hydrated, it can be soften to prevent fronm cracking.

Recommended care kit:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/AutoPigmentedKit-AP3.jpg
Leather Doctor® Auto Perforated Leather Care Kit-AP3

Auto Micro Pigmented Leather Care Kit-AP3 goes beyond taking care of basic surface appearances through stain removal, cleaning and protection. It features a leather rejuvenating system that restores suppleness and prevents premature aging. Thus dryness and stiffness that lead to cracks along exposed stitching seams, perforated panels and creases often seen on neglected leathers are preventable.

 Dye and Ink Stain Removal System - a leather-safe dye and ink stain removal breakthrough in the leather care industry
 Restorative and Periodic Cleaning System - a leather-safe cleaning system that returns the leather to its neutral pH of 3 to 5/6 chemistry integrity
 Leather Rejuvenating System - a rejuvenating system using modern tannery principle of imparting leather with suppleness
 Leather Scent Non-Stick Rub Resistant Protector - a classic leather scent protector with options for a draggy feel for the steering and buttery feel for the seat.

Restorative Cleaning System
This is the ultimate restorative or salvage cleaning system that removes accumulated soiling including the unwanted aged old conditioners to its original OEM finishes. Accumulated soiling that fills creases is often mistaken for cracks. This restorative cleaning is also achieved by the strength of the Prep-7.7 to effectively deflocculates those tough soiling with the help of the detailing horsehair Brush-1.
Instructions
1. It is recommended to use tap water for a wet finger test for tackiness or sliminess. If it is, acidifying it with Acidifier-2.0 found in Kit AP3.T to return the leather to a squeaky feel is highly recommended prior to Prep-7.7 application.
2. Apply Prep-7.7 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1, to a panel at a time and let dwell for ½ to 1 hour to deflocculate tough soiling.
3. Towel extract the suspended stain and check if the leather color is removed at the same time, especially where the topcoat has already worn out prior to application; protective matching satin or matte luster Topcoat-72 is recommended to further protect the colorcoat after Rinse-3.0, even though color may remain intact. Stain removal needs to be continued; otherwise it will eventually wick up on the new finishes too.
4. Sticky residue is removed by Cleaner-3.8 with gentle brush agitation and extract until towel shows clean.
5. This restorative cleaning system ends with Rinse-3.0 spray and towel extract to a squeaky clean.

Leather Rejuvenating System
Rejuvenating system is the process of restoring the original fatliquor diminished through aging and cleaning to return to its characteristic suppleness. Leathers, when wet and then dry again, have the tendency for the fibrils to becomes stick together - known as the Van der Waals or London force phenomenon. This results in stiffness and when flexed, may lead to premature cracks, as often seen on neglected leathers. It is recommended to hydrate these exposed leather structure and replenish the diminished fatliquor while it is still damp. When dry thereafter, the leather fibrils will be well separated and lubricated to slide over one another smoothly during practical usage.
Instructions
1. Apply Hydrator-3.3 with the foam brush to the exposed absorbent areas, especially the stitching seams and perforated panels.
2. Semi-absorbent panel is best applied through a layer of paper towel acting as reservoir, to allow a slow seep through the micro cracks.
3. The entire seat is thereafter wrapped with clear plastic sheet, to control evaporation for an overnight dwell.
4. A visual and hand massage inspection are to ensure thorough hydrating, with structure softness without blotchiness.
5. Fatliquor-5.0 follows the same procedure as the Hydrator-3.3, with in between drying application as water evaporates.
6. When dry the surface is check for strays from milky to clear, using the hydrator to further drive the fatliquor into the leather structure.
7. The rejuvenated leather is left for slow natural drying for extra softness.

Leather Scent Non-Stick Rub Resistant Protection
This non-stick rub resistant protector keeps leather at its high level of appearance at all times. It not only protects against the detrimental effect of sticky soiling, but also features rub-resistant protection that is incorporated to reduce surface friction wear, often caused by sliding in and out of auto seats. Thus prolonging the life of the finishes. This elusive, unforgettable, classic leather scent much sought after by leather lovers, is infused into these non-stick rub resistant protectors. Leather Scent-D with its draggy feel is designed for the steering wheel and the gear shift knob for a non-slip grip. Leather Scent-B with its smooth buttery feel is designed for the seats. Both these non-stick rub resistant protectors can be mixed to produce the desired tactile feel and luster effect for discerning owners.
Instructions
1. Shake well, mists spray, brush spreads, leave to dry and ready for use.
2. For easy routine care mists spray and wipe with towel.

The contents of this kit include:

Leather Doctor® Prep-7.7 in 60ml.
This is a pH 7.7 aqueous high viscosity leather preparatory cleaner for pigmented leather types. It is developed to strip foreign soil accumulation to the original finish. It works by dwell-time of ½ / 4 / 8 / 24 hours intervals to exhaust especially stubborn dye and ink stains, allowing its’ superior penetrating, lubricating and suspending power to do the work. Successive dwell-time with towel blotting is followed through until the stain is exhausted. It has proven to work safely on: grease based ink stains like ballpoint ink; water based ink stains like stamp pad ink; dye transfer stains like blue jeans, leather, ink print and newsprint. It is highly recommended that the remaining sticky residue is thereafter removed in conjunction with Cleaner-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 as a holistic leather-safe system to a squeaky feel.

Leather Doctor® Cleaner-3.8 in 250ml.
This is a pH 3.8 all purpose leather-safe anionic cleaner that is particularly effective in emulsifying oily soils and in suspending its particulates. It works by penetrating, lubricating and suspending soiling safely and effectively through gentle chemical reaction; working in perfect harmony with all leather constituents that include the tanning agent, preservative, dyestuff and especially the fatliquor. It's safe for all leather trims including; aniline, vachetta, nubuck and suede. This product is always followed through with Rinse-3.0 as a system to a healthy squeaky feel.

Leather Doctor® Rinse-3.0 in 250ml.
This is a pH 3.0 aqueous anionic leather-safe rinse to neutralize harmful alkaline and perspiration residues; for stabilizing and strengthening leather to its neutral pH valuel of 3 to 5/6 chemistry integrity. It's safe for all leather trims including; aniline, vachetta, nubuck and suede.

Leather Doctor® Hydrator-3.3 in 250ml
This is a pH 3.3 aqueous leather-safe hydrator for hydrating dried, stiffed or shrunk leathers, often seen as creases and wrinkles; to separate the crushed, stick together fibrils and relax them prior to softening and strengthening with Fatliquor-5.0. It’s to reduce the surface tension in the inter-fibrillary leather structure for effective distribution of the fatliquor. It’s to charge the leather protein fibers below its iso-electric point positive, in order to hydrogen-bond with the ionic negative charged fatliquor. It’s safe for other leather trims that may include aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Leather Doctor® Fatliquor-5.0 in 250ml
This is a pH 5.0 anionic charged micro emulsion fatliquor leather rejuvenator. It’s for replenishing original fatliquor that has diminished thru sun-bleaching, ageing, heat and alkaline exposure or cleaning. It penetrates and lubricates the leather fibers so that after drying, they are capable of sliding over one another smoothly. Besides softening the leather with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility; fatliquor enhances its rip tensile strength greatly thus reduces split or tear to the stitching and perforated holes. It relaxes coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles to provide drapes, suppleness and prevents cracking. It helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing. It’s safe for all other leather trims including; aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Leather Doctor® Leather Scent-B in 120ml.
This is a non-film forming, non-stick rub resistant protector that enhances a soft natural buttery-feel with an unforgettable classic leather scent. It’s for imparting a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling including the nasty ballpoint ink. It is effective to release those tenacious dye-transfers stains especially on light colored leathers easily, without resorting to unnecessary color refinishing. Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduces stretch, scuff and abrasion. And it reduces friction squeaks that wear the finishes when leather is rubbed against during movement or the characteristically sliding in and out of the seat.

Leather Doctor® Leather Scent-D in 120ml
This is a non-film forming, non-stick, rub resistant protector that enhances a draggy-feel with a classic leather scent especially for the steering wheel and the gear shift knob for a non-slip grip. It imparts a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling including the nasty ballpoint ink. And it does help to release those tenacious dye-transfer stains especially on light colored leathers easily without resorting to unnecessary color refinishing. Its natural draggy-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduces stretch, scuff and abrasion. It is also used as a scuff repairer, filling and concealing surface scuffs to improve appearance. The drag produces an unforgettable familiar sound sweet to the ears when leather is rubbed.

Horsehair Detailing Leather Brush-1
This horsehair detailing brush is ergonomically designed to be an extension of our hand with sturdy grooved grip, designed to produce an effective result easily and efficiently for many years to come. It’s recommended for all smooth leather, to deliver a scratch-free agitation cleaning. The length is 7 inches with a three row 1½ inches bristles cleaning head.

PolyBrush®
This is the 3” made in USA washable foam brush that last. It’s used for spreading the Prep-7.7, rinse clean and thereafter used for the leather Scent-B and Scent-D application to prevent overspray.

Washable Rags
This rag works like cloth, lint free and highly absorbent for extracting suspended soiling or for wiping the leather Scent-B and Scent-D during routine easy cleaning-protection application.

Refills are available...for more information email [email protected]