PDA

View Full Version : How to remove food grease darkening stain from this London Leathergoods Aniline Leather Purse?

Roger Koh
02-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been cleaning carpet and upholstery for some time but have shied away from what I believe is aniline dyed leather, i.e. that which is absorbent and goes dark when cleaning liquids are applied.

I realise that this is a gaping hole in my education and now ask for advice!

My wife has a brand new purse and after having a pleasant meal put the “doggy bag” in her handbag. The animal grease leeched out onto the purse and stained it. Is there any way it can be cleaned, please.

If this is successful then I can look again at other leathers that I have previously turned down.

If there are any courses that are applicable then I would be interested in obtaining more information.

Many thanks
T.. A……..

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/IMGP28803.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/IMGP28783.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/IMGP28793.jpg

Roger Koh
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Leather Identification:
It is correct to identify this purse as aniline leather with the beauty of the grain show through the topcoat. Aniline leather topcoat unlike the typical pigmented leather is characteristically absorbent for more breathing comfort. So the term “protected” leather (frequent used for referring to pigmented leather), often makes one think that the aniline leather is not protected, is not correct. Most aniline leather derives its color from “staining” with aniline transparent dyestuffs to produce a desired color; while else pigmented leather is typically colored by opaque pigments coatings; both will still receive a certain degree of topcoating to help protect the color from bleeding and rubbing. An example of pigmented leather that is also as absorbent as a typical aniline leather is often found in garment as napa leathers. So leather identification just by absorbency alone may not be conclusive.

Aniline Topcoat:
Marine aniline leathers that are made for luxurious yacht may have its topcoat as non-absorbent. So aniline leathers do comes with a variety types of topcoat to match breathability, aesthetic and tactile-feel. The natural look (Topcoat Aniline-89N) is typical for pure-aniline type; the waxy-matte (Topcoat Aniline-59M) is for matte with a waxy feel type; and the gloss (Topcoat Aniline-79G) is for the typical sheen type and it depends on how many coating to bring up to match the existing sheen. Topcoat Aniline-79G is most likely to match the sheen of this purse.

Grease Stain:
The darkening effect of the grease stain suggested that it’s penetrated.

Principle of Removal:
To remove from within the leather thickness of the structure; product used has to penetrate the leather as well; to penetrate, lubricate and suspense the grease and wicking up to the leather surface to be extracted with towel when damp and probably erasing the soiling particulates from the leather pores when dry.

Recommended Removal Procedure:

A] A gentle removal procedure:

Step 1:
Use Cleaner-3.8 to penetrate the stain area and extract (blotting action only, avoid the rubbing) with towel until towel shows clean; proceed to wet out the entire leather surface to avoid rings; follows with towel blotting extraction; while still evenly damp, proceed to step 2:

Step 2:
Use Rinse-3.0 and repeat as step 1; while still damp proceed to step 3.

Step 3:
Use Hydrator-3.3 and repeat as step 1 to penetrate the leather structure evenly; while damp, proceed to step 4.

Step 4:
Use tissue paper or toilet roll to act as an extension of the leather surface avoiding air bubbles; roll it up with terry towel; wrap with food cling wrapper; and leave it overnight.

Step 5:
Remove the cling wrapper and let the terry towel still intact, to air dry overnight.

Step 6:
Remove the terry towel, the wick-up stain should be caught by the tissue paper without any sign of rings; otherwise repeat the procedure.

Step 7:
When appearance looks satisfactorily; it’s time to fatliquor it evenly as step 1.

Step 8:
Leave it dry naturally…

This sequence of processes should return the leather to its pre-existing condition.

If this Gentle procedure fails to degrease it; then be ready to topcoat it when Cleaner-3.8 is replace by Degreaser-2.2; as the B] procedure.

The recommended leather care kit for aniline leathers is this Kit-A3; Leather Eraser-4 and Topcoat Aniline79G are suggested as an add-on in case of B].

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/AnilineKit.jpg
Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather Care Kit-A3

Contents:
Degreaser-2.2 – 60ml
Prep-4.4 – 60ml
Cleaner-3.8 – 250ml
Rinse-3.0 – 250ml
Hydrator-3.3 – 250ml
Fatliquor-5.0 – 250ml
Leather Scent-B – 120ml
Leather (horsehair) Brush-1 – 1pc
3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc