PDA

View Full Version : Severely water damaged leather coat

mom2_5dds
01-29-2011, 01:45 PM
I was cleaning out the basement today and found a box of coats that somehow got here when we moved into this house 6 years ago. They were stored in a cardboard box and our basement is quite damp (during April rains, there is standing water). My husband's favorite leather coat that we had thought was lost was at the bottom of the box. It has mold and is stiff. As I looked at it further, the part of the coat that was against the bottom of the box was the stiffest and moldiest, while the folded parts really look fine, except for the lining which needed to be replaced anyway. Is there anyway to restore this coat? I've read online to use a 1:1 ration of rubbing alcohol and water to remove the mold then use something to condition it, but what to use to condition is varies wildly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Roger Koh
01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I've read online to use a 1:1 ration of rubbing alcohol and water to remove the mold...

Rubbing Alcohol is not leather-safe - it will further leach out the fatliquor that will leave the leather stiffer than before.

Handle the stiff leather gently, do not flex or fold it unnecessary - it might crack depending how severe it is - as the mold may have suck out all the fatliquor on these areas.

The stiffness need to by hydrated - to soften it again; thereafter fatliquored to return to its softness, strength and suppleness.

The mold is best removed physically; thereafter treated with a leather-safe fungicide; one treatment will last you 8 months; for a long term anti-microbial solution threat it thereafter.

Here is the kit that you might need; however its better you show us some pictures, so that help is more specific; we will walk you through!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Kit-MOs.jpg
Leather Doctor® Musty Odor Removal Kit-MO5

Contents:
d’Mold-3.6 - 250ml
Prep-7.7 - 60ml
Prep-4.4 - 60ml
Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
Fatliquor LS-5.5 - 250ml
Leather Scent-B - 120ml
Leather Scent-S - 120ml