PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented - Top-coat recommendations for elastomeric pigment that currently will leave palm print on paper towel if rubbed across.

higgins
01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for your help thus far. I will attempt to upload pics. First 2 are before repair of ottoman top and chair cushion. Notice culprit in pic 3.

Dog scratched what I believe is protected aniline?

After getting quote for $600-700 to fix ottoman and cushion top, opted for DIY. Played with getting color right...seemed to work ok.

Any suggestions for how to best achieve the same "buttery soft" feel on the repaired scratches/dyed sections of ottoman top and chair cushion. Gloss seems a slight bit less than original appearance. Also want to protect dye from transfer; currently will leave palm print on paper towel if rubbed across.

Roger Koh
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
The Dye Transfer:
You have an option to both strip and redo all over or you want to continue from where you left off.
If you want to continue from where you have left off – then tell us what products you have used and the steps you have done.
If you prefer a complete redo – then we have to know exactly the leather types – and do accordingly as have been done originally.

The “Buttery-Feel”:
It is often mistaken the suppleness of the leather to be the tactile-feel of the leather.
Suppleness of the leather depends on the fatliquor; and in this case I believe it is the heavy coating that builds-up the micro thickness of the leather; this artificial thickness had contributed to the adverse effect and need to be removed. Whatever heavy repairs you may have done may eventually fail when it is compressed, stretch or flex and result in cracks.
Buttery-feel is easily achievable by application of non-stick, rub-resistance protector that gives you a buttery surface. You can have it in silky-feel, waxy-feel or draggy-feel to match your existing topcoat.

The Gloss:
Matching topcoats is available in natural, matte, gloss or satin – or even a mix among them to create your custom level of sheen.

Protecting Dyes from Transfer:
Determine whether you are using “transparent aniline dyes” or actually you are using “opaque pigment colors”.
The systems are different – as besides the dyes rub off mainly from dyestuff; pigment may have a peeling problem if the adhesion is lacking.
Determine the finish type and stay on a system – even if you have to start all over again.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

higgins
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
would rather continue on, as opposed to starting over.

scratches were sanded with 600 then 800 grit. Surface washed with SEM leather prep. Air-brushed SEM Sure-Coat with reducer as well as specified amount of crosslinker. Applied various coats to achieve desired coloring. Final "hand-rubbing/daubbing" to achieve antiquing look.

I am thinking the silk-feel, rub resistant protector sounds good... can you point me to the product/pricing?

Also the gloss finish topcoat?

much appreciated.

Roger Koh
01-11-2011, 08:18 PM
To solve your problem the buttery-feel with Leather Scent-B (heavier duty than silky-feel) is a better choice to reduce rub-off of coloring.

Gloss topcoat is available as Topcoat Aniline-79G, Topcoat Micro-72G or Topcoat Pigment-56G – prices are the same – 72G would be a better choice to compensate the stiffness (otherwise overloading on an already stiff and weak foundation).

Check your email for the prices.

I am familiar with SEM products and have used them before, if you would want to know where goes wrong, we can discuss further.

In brief: the stiffness is due to the poor flexibility of the product itself; the color transfer is ‘not’ from dye but pigment not curing; topcoating might not help if its foundation problem persists (it’s strange; crosslinking is supposed to strengthen the colorcoat, with a compromise in texture softness). A long term alternative is to start all over again – upgrading the present finishing from elastomeric to semi-aniline system using fine micro-pigment and the “Translucent” old English Antique-27 (a choice of 4 colors to match existing primary color - rather than the raw black) as the secondary coloring.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

higgins
02-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for your help. I have been sidetracked but will be ordering the suggested products in a moment.

I think I understand what you are saying regarding the SEM products (stiffness, loss of desired texture)... and I think at some point, maybe many years from now, I will want to take on the project of stripping and starting over with the approach you described with the 4 color translucent finish,etc. I wish I had found your site before beginning the process and direction I had taken... your alternate approach sounds exactly what I was hoping to achieve...just found you too late.

I will have to keep the info handy or hopefully you will still be around at that time to assist me again!:cool:

Thanks again. Stay well.