PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - Armchair - How to Clean and Restore this Hardened, Stinks with Smoke , Greased, Aged and Worn finish Aniline Armchair?

Roger Koh
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I have been sent an email regarding the attached pictures. I have not yet seen the chair only in the pictures attached. I can see a lot of colour missing all over the surface showing the hide underneath. I think it may be aniline and the shiny parts grease build up. I cant really do much with the smoke in the foam i dont think but on the surface i can. “The majority of the leather is aged and colour worn, the leather on the head rest has hardened and probably could do with new straps (x3). Ideally the foam within the headrest could do with being cleaned as it stinks of old smoke.” Could you please possibly have a look at the pictures and i would really love to hear your opinion and advise. Also if you could tell me a price of all the products i would need to acheive the restoration and your opions on the colour.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/JohnBrown1-4.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/JohnBrown2-4.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/JohnBrown3-4.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/JohnBrown4-4.jpg

Roger Koh
10-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Look it’s correct to identify this leather type as Aniline.

"The shiny parts grease build up"
This Grease area would require the work of Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0
Penetrated grease, depending on depth of penetration may require repeats as the soiling particulates needs to be float to the surface with lots of rinsing with Rinse-3.0 to be extracted while damp and erase with Leather Eraser-4 when crispy dry.

“Stinks of Old Smoke.”
It will require the need of d’Smoke-4.7 to work in conjunction with Degreaser-2.2 in conjunction with the above process by inserting in between; thus Degreaser-2.2 > d’Smoke-4.7 > Rinse-3.0.

“The Leather on the Headrest has Hardened”
This is due to the drying up of the fatliquor (fat, oil & water) that need replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 to return the leather back to its original softness, strength with suppleness; however the hardness first has to be relaxed with Hydrator-3.3 back to its original dimension prior to fatliquoring it. Picture #4 show the unnatural creases due to leather being too dry would require the same process. You would see techniques on how its been done to hydrate it overnight (even up to three days) on other threads.

“Colour missing all over the surface showing the hide underneath”
Overly worn areas may affect the leather structure causing it to overstretch thus becomes weak; Impregnator-26 is recommended to strengthen and tighten-up the loose fibers.

“The majority of the leather is aged and colour worn”
Dyestuff recommended for the color is using Aniline Dye-63 follows with Topcoat Aniline-79G.

To reduce wear to the leather; Leather Scent-B is recommended.

This is the recommended kit for Aniline leathers with add-on as necessary.
#1. Aniline - Leather Care Kit A250.pdet
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/A250pdet-AnilineLeatherCareKit.jpg

With the Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Aniline-LPG.jpg

Leather Doctor® Degreaser-2.2
It's for all Pigmented, Aniline, Vachetta, Nubuck and Suede leather types.
This is a pH 2.2 high viscosity aqueous formulated leather degreaser.
It’s primarily for degreasing leather of penetrated oil and grease stains from skin and hair contact.
Also assist in removing solvent based stains like permanent marker, paint and nail-polish.
Oil and grease based stains like: crayon, wax, ballpoint ink and lipstick.
Dye-transfer stains from blue jeans, ink prints and newsprints.
Inspection:
Assess the severity of the penetrated grease or oil problem by checking if it’s through the reverse side.
When oil or grease shows through, it is more effective to remove from the reverse suede side.
Depending on depth of penetration; and thickness of the leather structure; several attempts may be necessary as each wicking process brings out the suspended soil particulates to the surface.
It’s to be extracted with towel while damp and to be erased off when crispy dry.
Instruction:
1] Identify leather types and dry soil removal prior to application.
2] Shake until cloudy gel, apply and agitate with leather, nubuck or suede brush and or leather Eraser-4.
3] Let dwell 5 to 30 minutes or before it dries for complete soil penetration, lubrication and suspension to occur.
4] Extract suspended soiling with dry towel.
5] Then remove remaining residue with Rinse-3.0 to a squeaky clean; for reduce bleeding use Acidifier-2.0 instead.

Leather Doctor® d’Smoke-4.7
It's for Pigmented, Aniline, Vachetta, Nubuck, Suede, Hair-on-Hide and Woolskin leather types.
This is a pH 4.7 aqueous leather-safe soot and smoke cleaning booster and deodorizer.
It’s for effective removal of overpowering soot and smoke odor when work in conjunction with Prep-7.7 or Prep-4.4.
Instruction:
1] Dry soot and smoke removal with brush, eraser, vacuum or compressed air avoiding smears or scratches prior to application.
2] Spray after Prep-7.7 or Prep-4.4 and agitate with appropriate brush or leather Eraser-4.
3] Dwell 10 to 30 minutes or before it dries for chemical reaction to take effect.
4] Extract suspended soiling with dry absorbent towel.
5] Clean remaining residue with Cleaner-3.8 follows with towel extraction.
6] Rinse to a healthy squeaky clean and until towel shows clean with Rinse-3.0.
Optional:
1] Rejuvenate to soften and strengthen leathers – use Fatliquor-5.0.
2] Impart a classic leather scent with a buttery, draggy, silky or waxy feel non-stick rub-resistant protection – use leather Scent-B, D, S or W

Leather Doctor® Rinse-3.0
It's for Pigmented, Aniline, Vachetta, Nubuck and Suede leather types.
This is a pH 3.0 aqueous leather-safe rinse to neutralize harmful alkaline and perspiration residues;
for stabilizing and strengthening leather constituent pH chemistry integrity;
and cationizing protein fiber below its isoelectric point to increase hydrogen bonding with the anionic Fatliquor-5.0.
Instruction:
1] Spray and agitate with leather, nubuck or suede brush.
2] Extract suspended soiling with dry absorbent towel until it shows clean to a healthy squeak.
3] Impart a buttery, draggy, silky or waxy feel; non-stick rub-resistant protection with a classic leather scent - use leather Scent-B, D, S or W.
Optional:
1] Hydrate dried leathers - use Hydrator-3.3.
2] Rejuvenate to soften and strengthen leather - use Fatliquor-5.0

Leather Doctor® Hydrator-3.3
It’s for Pigmented, Aniline, Vachetta, Nubuck, Suede, Hair-on-Hide and Woolskin leather types.
This is a pH 3.3 aqueous leather-safe hydrator.
It’s for hydrating dried, stiffed or shrunk leathers (to separates the crushed, stick together fibrils and relax them) prior to strengthening and softening with Fatliquor-5.0.
And it’s also used for facilitating colloidal water movement within the leather structure capillary motion during the wicking process.
That will cause suspended soil particulates to be moved to the leather surface to be extracted with absorbent towel while damp and erase with Leather Eraser-4 when dry.
Instruction:
1] Spray soaks evenly into cleaned leather.
2] Accelerate saturation - work on the reverse side, micro cracks, needle holes or perforation.
3] Option for even saturation is to cover with absorbent tissue paper and wet thoroughly then seal it up.
4] Allow a minimum of 4 to 24 hours of dwelling until the leather is fully hydrated, relaxed, evenly wet out or stain dispersed.
5] Unwrap, extract and saturate with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate for softness and strength while the leather is moist.

Leather Doctor® Fatliquor-5.0
It’s for Pigmented, Aniline, Vachetta, Nubuck, Suede, Hair-on-Hide and Woolskin leather types.
This is a pH 5.0 anionic charged micro emulsion fatliquor leather rejuvenator.
It’s for replenishing original fatliquor that diminishes thru sun-bleaching, ageing, heat and alkaline exposure or cleaning.
It penetrates and lubricates the leather fibers so that after drying they will be capable of sliding over one another smoothly.
Besides softening the leather with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility, fatliquor enhances its rip tensile strength greatly.
Relaxes coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles to provide drapes, suppleness and prevents cracking.
It helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing.
Instruction:
1] Shake well, foam brush or spray and ensure even absorption into the leather.
2] Accelerate penetration - work through the reverse side, micro cracks, needle holes or perforations.
3] Drive-in surface excess to a squeaky feel - use Hydrator-3.3.
4] Eliminate coarse breaks and creases - stretch it crosswise while damp.
5] Achieve extra softness - natural slow drying is preferred.
6] For desired softness - flex, stake or stretch it when dry.
7] To enhance the leather finish sensuously with a choice of buttery, draggy, silky or waxy non-stick, rub resistance protector - use leather Scent-B, D, S or W

Leather Doctor® Impregnator-26
It’s a Leather Surface Repairer for Pigmented and Aniline leather types.
This is a protein compact resin blend compound impregnator.
It’s for impregnating worn leather grains and micro cracks.
It’s to seal, strengthen and leveling out uneven absorption for further coating process.
It fills and tightens with good leveling properties that is film forming for improve abrasion resistance.
Note:
For color skin repairs add colors accordingly up to ratio 1: 1.
Instruction:
1] Shake well, pad to saturate all weak and absorbent areas.
2] Concentrate on weak areas otherwise wipe off unnecessary excess to reduce buildup.

Leather Doctor® Aniline Dye-63
It’s a transparent dyestuff for coating aniline leathers during refinishing; more effectively than the staining Aniline Dye-21.
This is a new generation aqueous transparent coating aniline dyestuff that is more lively and brilliant than most liquid dyes.
It’s to provide a more superior light fastness and fades resistance than most standard liquid dyes.
Wet and Dry Preparation:
1] Prep clean - use Prep-4.4 follows by Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
2] To degrease use Degreaser-2.2; follows with Acidifier-2.0 for bleeding control or with the standard Rinse-3.0.
3] Leather rejuvenation – use Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0.
4] Inspection when dry – use leather Eraser-4 to remove wick-up soiling particulates.
Instruction:
1] Shake well before application.
2] Reduce shade - add Clear 377.
3] Airbrush for an even appearance; avoiding streaks or drips.
4] Blow dry in-between coats until desired result is achieved.
Topcoat Protection:
1] Use Topcoat Aniline-79G (gloss) or Aniline-53WM (waxy matte)

Leather Doctor® Topcoat Aniline-79G
It’s a gloss finish for upholstery Aniline leathers.
This is an aqueous fine particular size urethane resin emulsion topcoat.
It’s to protect aniline dyestuff with excellent toughness and flexibility.
Instruction:
1] Apply after Aniline Dye-63; otherwise prep clean - use Prep-4.4 follows with Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
2] Pad or fine spray without streaks or drips.
3] Non-Stick, Rub-Resistance protection with a classic leather scent - use leather Scent-B (buttery-feel).

Leather Doctor® Leather Scent-B
It’s for Pigmented, Aniline and Nubuck Oil Pull-up leather types.
This is a non-film forming, non-stick rub-resistant protector that enhances a soft natural buttery-feel with a classic leather scent.
It’s for imparting a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling including the nasty ballpoint ink.
And for helping to release those tenacious dye-transfers stains especially on light colored leathers easily without resorting to unnecessary color refinishing.
Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch, scuff and abrasion.
And it reduces friction squeaks that wear the finishes when leather is rubbed against during movement.
Or friction that wears the leather finishes caused by getting in and out of auto.
Note:
To reduce sheen and scent add Buttery Feel-76.
Instruction:
1] Identify, inspect and dry soil removal prior to application.
2] Shake well, mist spray and spread evenly with a foam brush.
3] Or spray and wipe with absorbent towel for quick easy care