PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - Sofa & Chair 2 tone color repair

chet
04-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Roger, This is the sofa and chair, sidemarked Rumora.

It has minor color loss, seat cushions and very little on arms. There is 1 tiny spot where the color is completely removed.

Let me know what you think, I would like to perform this service in the clients home. A thorough cleaning, prep, hydration, and color repair. The set is 6 years old and in good condition.

the pi of entire sofa
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/3-30-10092.jpg

Pic of entire chair
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/3-30-10097.jpg

pic of left seat cushion
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/3-30-10093.jpg

pic of missing color spot
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/3-30-10094.jpg

pic of other 2 bottom cushions
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/3-30-10095.jpg

Roger Koh
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Questions on Color Matching!

From the pictures, we see two Categories of Wear for color repair:

1] Wear to the secondary color that generally reveals the lighter primary “mellowed” or “seasoned “color.

2] Wear through the secondary and primary colors and onto the paler leather crust that suede it like nubuck with fine nap.

The armchair falls into above Category 1 which requires only the secondary color to match up to the back cushions and probably the side and back.

The sofa left and right cushions falls into Category 2 which need the primary color to match up to Category 1 appearance before taking off to match the back cushions and probably to the side and back.

The thin slice (half inches x 3 inches) sample I received is dark and fresh probably taken from areas that do not see light at all, and the color looks raw.

The chair except the cushion color has mellow down far from the raw unexposed sample I received.

The secondary Antiquing color which is translucent shall be match closed to the original color.

Shall we match the primary color to the raw new look or matching it to the mellowed primary color.

When the primary opaque color is match to the original color as to the sample the entire “mellowed” or “seasoned” primary color has to be refinished.

When match to the “mellowed” or “seasoned” color as the pictures reveal only the worn-out primary color need to be refinished.

We shall discuss the other sequence of processes – Prep Cleaning, Degreasing, Hydrating, Fatliquoring, Impregnating, Adhesion Coating, Primary Color Coating Technique and Secondary Color Antiquing Technique to recreate the Two-Tone effect.

Do you think you want to refinish the primary color fresh as your sample or mellowed as we seen from the picture?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®

chet
04-22-2010, 06:42 AM
To mellowed color, we are trying to do this in home and give them a nice looking used sofa, not priced for total restoration.

Roger Koh
04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Would you like to share with us how you would refinish a Two-Tone Leather Type?

This is how I would do it.

Assuming that the leather is “Dry Prep Cleaned” and ready for “Abraded Repairs”.

Step 1
Primary custom color Pigment Micro-54 will be mixed with Impregnator-26 ratio 1: 1.
This is rubbed into the absorbent abraded areas and cracks especially the left cushion seat of the sofa in Picture #1.
This is a two in one operation as the surface damage is not that severe, otherwise the first coat should without the color.
This first step refinishes the primary color with surface abraded repairs – with final touch with fine sanding.

Step 2
Here custom color Antique-26 a hybrid translucent color is used with the help of Thickener-48 to increase the viscosity of the color to help control the flow of the coloring. There are various fashions of Two-Tone leathers and we have to duplicate what we see. Tools to help create the two –tone effect could be texture roller, natural sponges, texture pads, brush and comb, etc.
However as you can see in the picture, it is build up by layers of dried textures to reach the desired result.

Step 3
Thereafter a gloss topcoat protector using Topcoat Micro-72Gloss is sprayed for an even finish.

Step 4
A buttery-feel non-stick protector is recommended to reduce the abrasion form wear with a classic leather scent with Leather Scent-B.

Would you like to know more about “Wet Prep Cleaning” prior to Abrasion Repair?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor

An example of how Two-Tone Fashion is created - by high viscosity textured layers and dried in-between applications.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/186.jpg

Leather Doctor® Leather Impregnator-26: for Pigmented and Aniline leather types.
This is a protein compact resin blend compound impregnator.
It’s for impregnating worn leather grains and micro cracks.
To seal, strengthen and leveling out uneven absorption for further coating process.
It fills and tightens with good leveling properties that is film forming for improve abrasion resistance.

Leather Doctor® Leather Thickener-48: for color coatings.
This is an aqueous carboxylated acrylic co-polymer thickening agent to stabilize color.
It’s to adjust the flow of color to improve hold-up especially on vertical panels and Antiquing Two-Tone fashion leathers.
It is highly effective and maintains the viscosity over the period of use.

Leather Doctor® Leather Scent-B: for Pigmented, Aniline and Oil Pull-up Nubuck leather types.
This is a non-film forming, non-stick protector that enhances a soft natural buttery-feel with a classic leather scent that charms.
It’s for imparting a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling including the nasty ballpoint ink. And for helping to release those tenacious dye-transfers stains especially on light colored leathers easily without resorting to unnecessary color refinishing. Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch, scuff and abrasion. And it reduces friction squeaks that wear the finishes when leather rubs against leather during movement. Or friction that wear the finishes caused by getting in and out of auto especially the driver’s seat.