PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - How to Restore an Aniline Leather Sofa of Cat Urine, Liquid Spill and Magic Marker Stain? …question from Katherine.

Roger Koh
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I finally found this email again! Attached are photos of the couch we discussed. The dark stains are cat urine and the blue dot is a magic marker stain. The faint white stain on front bottom is from water. So, I'd like your recommendation on what products and procedures to use. I'd like to remove the stains, and recondition the leather. Will I have to redye the couch too?

Thanks so much for your help!

#1 Aniline Leather Sofa
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/couchcloseup.jpg

#2 Cat Urine Stain
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/catstaincloseup.jpg

#3 Magic Marker Stain
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/markerstain.jpg

Roger Koh
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
This is Aniline leather type.

Aniline leathers usually derive from the topmost layer of hide called full-grain (the uncorrected top-grain).
And it is colored with non-toxic aniline dyestuff, rather than pigments or other opaque materials.
Aniline dyes completely penetrate the hide so that the color is uniform on both sides.
It is the Aniline Topcoat that enhances the beauty – and from the pictures we see that the most used areas are rubbed off.

This full grain layer is the most expensive among leathers and only about 15% of world production can pass the grade.
Besides the natural beauty of the leather these panels are huge and grand. These large panels full-grain leathers has to originate from Scandinavian or the Alps region where the cattle is raised without barb wires and free from insect bites.

So to bring back the beauty of this sofa with many more years of useful life these are the work to be done:

A] Stain Removal, Decontamination & Rejuvenation:

1] Remove the Magic Marker Stain (Ink Remover-2.2 > Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0).

2] Decontaminating the urine stain, neutralize and rejuvenating the deteriorated leathers and repairing to strengthen it.
Depends how long the urine stain has been there - it will reach a stage that you can put your finger through - the culprit "Alkalinity and Time".
(d’Protein-11.0 > d’Urine-2.1 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > d’Bacteria-3.7 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Rinse-3.0 > Impregnator-26).

3] White water marks may indicate the fugitive fatliquor due to alkaline water damage (Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Rinse-3.0).

B] Restoration Cleaning:

1] Prep Cleaning Process (Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Razor-60).

2] Leather Rejuvenating Process (Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Rinse-3.0).

3] Dry Prep (Fine sanding with 1200 -1500 sanding grit to assure all deteriorating and worn top-coating is removed evenly throughout the entire panel).

4] Optional Aniline Dye Application (depends how much coloring can be reactivated by the leather rejuvenating process).

5] Aniline top-coating mandatory to enhance and restore back the natural beauty of the leather.

Your main concern is A1 and A2, if these 2 main concerns are methodically done to perfection you would have redeem this smart sofa back to another lease of useful life.

The rest is straight forward.

You have to consider whether you have the patience to do all these process.

Alternatively is to engage someone to do these technical tasks for you and I can provide all the system help you need.

By the way this good quality sofa is worth saving!

What do you think?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®