PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Full) - Sun-fading: How to Restore these Severely faded Buttery Soft Two-tone Aniline Cushions?

chet
09-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Roger,

We would like to retore this buttery soft aniline.

It has faded in a sheckered pattern.

The cushions are reversable and the webbing underneath gave them this pattern.

One side is worse than the other.

The top of the back cushion is also severely faded as well.

The ottoman is faded and has a few stains and marks, it also is worn to a nubuck finger writing effect.

There are 2 chairs and on ottoman, all cushons are reversable.

1) Can i restore color evenly?

2) Can i get rid of finger writing effect?

3) How much of each product will I need?

4) Can I keep them as soft as they are now?

5) How can I tell what kind of hide it is?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/9-14-09214.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/9-14-09215.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/9-14-09218.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/Chet50/9-14-09219.jpg

Roger Koh
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
>>>1) Can i restore color evenly?

Recommended Process

1. Prep Clean - use prepClean4.4 > clean3.8 > rinse3.0.

2. Wet Prep - use razor60 to shave-off deteriorated topcoat.

3. Fatliquoring System - use hydrator3.3 > fatliquor5.0 > rinse3.0.

4. Dry Prep - use razor60 to shave-off wicked-up residue and staking or stretching to reduce darkening effect simultaneously

5. Inspection to see how badly is the worn-out surface that turns into nubuck.

6. Since it is a light color - using impregnator26 to strengthen the grain may have a permanent darkening effect.
For keeping the original color and using transparent dyestuff anilineDye27 darkening effect is to be avoided as this dyestuff has no hiding power.
Unless a translucent dyestuff anilineColor25 is used.

7. At this stage a test is needed to determine the desired outcome.
Use a cotton swab and test out with anilineTop79M - Matte on the faded area to check how much the color will bounce back.
If it is satisfactory - Fine spraying or/& padding the topcoat finished the job.
Otherwise razor60 off the test top coating and go for matching anilineDye27 follows with matching top coat and the job is done.

8. Condition the surface with a non-stick buttery feel agent with a classic leather scent - use leatherScent’B.

>>>2) Can i get rid of finger writing effect?

The new top coating will get rid of the worn-out top coating that result in the “finger writing effect” just like nubuck.

impregnator26 definitely is design for this purpose, but the setback is the permanent darkening effect - unless a darker translucent dyestuff that has a better hiding power is used.

>>3) How much of each product will I need?

A difficult question to answer - always have more than you need… just like topping up our auto gas tank.

>>>4) Can I keep them as soft as they are now?

hydrator3.3 > fatliquor5.0 > rinse3.0 will keep them softer than it is now - the more the softer.

>>5) How can I tell what kind of hide it is?

Most upholstery leather comes from the bovine family - chrome-tanned for this leather by judging from the fading shade.

The better quality are from Calf > Steer > Cow but somehow Bull command a premium price for their rarity for very high end branded furnishing.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®

Roger Koh
09-27-2009, 11:40 AM
How to Restore these Severely faded Buttery Soft Aniline Cushions?

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/129.jpg

Sample received with thanks!

No doubt this sample is so soft almost like sheepskin.

It is aniline dyed through with fine secondary colors tipping effect.

This fine tipping effect could have been done with special hot kiss-plate process difficult to recreate once it is make into an object.

The closest possibility is to recreate into an antique effect thus the general refinishing structure of process is modified as follows:

1] Prep Cleaning
Use prepClean4.4 > clean3.8 > rinse3.0 + razor60 to remove all existing topcoats.

2] Specialty Spotting
Use specialty spotting products for specific stains if any.

3] Fatliquoring System
Use hydrator3.3 > fatliquor5.0 > rinse3.0 + razor60 to remove all existing topcoats.

4] Dry prep
Use razor60 to remove all existing topcoats with help of fine sanding with 1000 - 1500 sandpaper.

5] Transparent Dye Coating
Use anilineDye27 to spray for even color and fine sanding to remove the fine nap (finger writing effect) in between coat until smooth.

6] Antiquing
Use antiqueColor26 to create two-tone effect.

7] Protective Top-coating
Use anilineTop79 gloss or matte (satin is a mix between gloss and matte) to match existing sheen.

8] Non-stick buttery-feel conditioning with a classic leather scent.
Use leatherScent’B.

Note:
I left out the impregnation process, which might give a darkening effect if remains on the surface.
If done with airbrushing fully absorbed into the structure would give strength to the leather.
However it is a precise balance you have to decide either “beauty” or “strength” is important.
Unless the color is dark enough to blend with the darkening effect.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®