PDA

View Full Version : Rained on Seat

190marco
12-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Hi Roger,
I had my seat rained on, and unfortunately did not notice till seat got hard. I have your hydrator and Fatliquor products already here. I was planning on doing this job in and garage to protect it from Sunlight, but our temperatures will be around 75 day and 55 night. My Intension was to get seat wet with hydrator and put thick paper towels on seat with Saran wrap, and lit sit for a day or 2 till soft. Occasionally massaging leather soft. My problem is with the drying and adding Fatliquor, as I believe I did this step incorrectly, as leather got kind of hard again, and did also shrink again a little, on my last time that I used your product.

The third picture is from the good seat # 2967

Can you give me your opinion, and a detailed step by step?

Thank you,
Nic

Roger Koh
12-27-2018, 09:39 AM
Can you give me your opinion, and a detailed step by step?

1- “I was planning on doing this job in and garage to protect it from Sunlight, but our temperatures will be around 75 day and 55 night.”

The leather rejuvenating (softenting) process should be performed away from excess (above 122F) heat and freezing (below 32F) temperature.

2- “My Intension was to get seat wet with hydrator”

Work the Hydrator-3.3 through the stitching holes to get to the thickness of the leather to relax the hardness.

3- “and put thick paper towels on seat with Saran wrap, and lit sit for a day or 2 till soft.”

The paper towels have to be wet completely, otherwise it is counter productive, as dry paper towel will absorb the Hydrator-3.3 instead of the leather structure.

4- “Occasionally massaging leather soft”

This massaging is to return the surface dimension back to pre-damage condition. By seating on it and going for a trip would help in the stretching as well.

5- My problem is with the drying and adding Fatliquor, as I believe I did this step incorrectly, as leather got kind
of hard again, and did also shrink again a little, on my last time that I used your product.

While the leather is stretch back to dimension and before it is completely dry (25% total moisture content) Fatliquor-5.0 is applied. 5/6 of the Fatliquor-5.0 water content after reaching the thickness of the leather will need to be evaporated to make space for additional Fatliquor-5.0. Only 1/6 of fat and oil remains when the leather is dry. The total percentage of fat and oil need to be within the leather structure average about 14%. To return back to the leather tannery specification.

6- The third picture is from the good seat # 2967

The soiling level could be restored to near new with Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system.
Creases indicates leather dryness of fatliquor and should be restored with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system
Protector-B/B+ reduces surface sticky soiling and reduce wear to the finishes.

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

Roger Koh
12-28-2018, 06:08 PM
>>> Thank you for your reply. All seems clear, but I am little confused with the last step applying the Fatliquor. Could you maybe rephrase it? I really don’t understand what exactly you mean by it. So once leather is soft, I wait till leather is almost dry again, remaining 20% moist. Then I apply Fatliqour. Till leather wet again, or just apply as if I was cleaning seat, then wait till it dries and reapply?

then you apply Fatliqour . . . till leather is wet again . . . then wait till it is almost dry again . . . and reapply . . . again . . . and . . . again . . . until . . . fatliquor refused to be absorbed . . . massage it . . . or sit on it for a trip . . . over a plastic sheet . . . let me know your experience?