PDA

View Full Version : Help with stained leather sofa

Hound Dog
08-10-2018, 08:35 AM
I have an old camel coloured sofa of great quality. It has a few dark stains from spilled drinks. Some sweat stains on the arms. and some dried and cracked places as well. Please advise.

Roger Koh
08-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Turn a cushion over and compare with its unused areas.

Show maker and model of sofa as well.

Give a number to the pictures for easy reference.

Hound Dog
08-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Turn a cushion over and compare with its unused areas.

Show maker and model of sofa as well.

Give a number to the pictures for easy reference.

The sofa is a De Sade Exclusiv model DS 76

8628 Photo Number 1.

86288628862886288628 Photo Number 2

8629 Photo Number 3

Hound Dog
08-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Photos Number 1 and 2 show the original colour under the cushions as requested.

Photo Number 3 shows the same model as what I have in what was likely the original colour. As you can see, the original colour has faded. I'm ok with the fade. I just want to remove stains (as shown in the pics from my original post) and condition the leather so it is less cracked and used looking. Thanks!

Roger Koh
08-16-2018, 10:56 AM
>>> I just want to remove some sweat stains on the arms.

Sweat stain as Picture #1 is removed by Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
A horsehair detailing Brush-1 is used to agitate the surface stain follows with terry towel extraction. Most of the stain is penetrated below the surface that will require Hydrator-3.3 to bring it to the surface to be towel extracted. As the clear topcoat is already deteriorated and cracks together with the leather crust even a gentle agitation and extraction will remove the weaker areas and leave the leather surface with a fine nap just like “Nubuck”. As deteriorated fine fibers are removed during the cleaning inevitably, the surface texture is not the same as the healthier surrounding areas.

>>> It has a few dark stains from spilled drinks.

The sugar content and the tanning turn dark when oxidized with time.
A low pH cleaning system follows with redox (reduction oxidation) treatment help to reduce browning coloration. Recommended system is by CleanPro-1.5 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3 and when dry the browning areas is treated with CleanTannin-3.5 or Vachetta-2.8

>>> and condition the leather so it is less dried and cracked

Leather dried of its original fatliquor is replenished with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

>>> and less used looking.

As most of the deteriorated clear topcoat is removed during the cleaning, stain removing and leather rejuvenating process - it would look “MORE” used looking. In order to bring up the appearance to the existing condition refinishing with Aniline-76 > AnilineTop-76G is the recommendation.

Let me know your option and we can discuss further.

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]