PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Hardware Brompton Cocoa Maxwell - Child's Urine Incident.

Questions!
07-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Hello Roger,

I have been reading some of your great advice on the forum for restoring RH aniline dye leather sofas. I was hoping that you might provide a plan to restore my "cleaned" sofa cushion.
I have a Brompton cocoa maxwell and I sent a single cushion to a cleaner after a child's urine accident. I got it back looking much lighter that the original cushions. It looks like the waxy surface was definitely removed and possibly some of the dye? Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. I did join the forum but I do not seem to be allowed to post there.

Roger Koh
07-20-2017, 12:52 PM
An inspection of the present condition includes and we can go from there . . .

1- Testing for any tackiness to the original urine location in comparison to other cushion with a wet hand using tap water or distilled water preferred?

2- Testing for urine odor by nose?

3- Reverse the cushion to see the suede side of any distinct marks?

4- Does the leather feels stiffer then the other cushion?

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

millerme
07-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Thanks Roger,
Upon inspection:

1- Using distilled water, I did not notice any tackiness of the leather compared to the other cushion.

2 - There is no odor

3 - I do not see any distinct marks on the suede side of the leather (See attached photo)
4 - The leather actually feels softer than the original

Roger Koh
07-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Do you by chance have a picture of the incident - before you send it out for cleaning?

Did you know if they clean with the cushion on or off?

What products do they used, do you know?

Can you show a picture of both cushion for comparison?

millerme
07-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Sorry, I do not have any photos before the cleaning.
We cleaned with water and towels, took the cover off, and sent it for cleaning. Unfortunately I have no idea what products they used.
You need a comparison photo of both cushions on the suede side? I can send that shortly.
Thanks

Roger Koh
07-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Do not need any more of the suede side.

What I need is both cushion side by side to see the entire sofa or loveseat.

You would need to have both cushion looks the same, otherwise it will still looks odds.

millerme
07-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Here is the sofa for comparison.
7964[/ATTACH
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7965

Roger Koh
07-23-2017, 09:55 PM
>>> Unfortunately I have no idea what products they used.

1- The unknown products used may be a problem and I recommend to pH balance cleaning with CleanUrine-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

2- Whether the ammonia residue from the urine has been neutralized we do not know and an option is to re-treated it with KillUrine-2.1 and when dry
rinse with Rinse-3.0.

Tips: Note the products suffix number, which is less then pH 7 neutral, they are all acidic in the pH scale to neutralize the urine from turning
alkaline. The acidity below the pH neutral (iso-electric point or pI) of the leather (pH 3-5) helps to charge the leather ionic positive (+ve).

3- Color dyestuff is activated by Hydrator-3.3 to redistribute to improve appearance.

4- Leather suppleness is restore with Fatliquor-5.0 and helps to saturate the color intensity as well.

Testing: Color appearance is test at hidden corners or sides with EffectWax-8.6 > AnilineTop-76G if it matches the other cushion or original hidden
areas.

5- Aniline-21 may be used to stain the leather crust to increase intensity gradually until it matches in conjunction with Hydrator-3.3 to help even out.

6- EffectWax-8.6 > Adhesor-73 > Aniline-76 (custom optional to coat) > AnilineTop-76G > Protector-D/D+ ends the restoration.

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-Aw5.uk - Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather Urine Odor Killer Kit.
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw5-uk-aniline-wax-pull-up-leather-urine-odor-killer-kit/

AnilineTop-76G as add-on is found here:
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-76g-gloss-heavy-duty/

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

millerme
07-24-2017, 04:02 AM
Great, thank you.
Could you recommend the proper color of aniline dye for this leather? Would I have to prepare a custom mix?

Roger Koh
07-24-2017, 07:57 AM
A mix of Orange, Red-Brown and Dark-Brown would be close either do it yourself or you send in your color sample to http://www.leatherdoctor.com/color-matching-services/