PDA

View Full Version : wax pull-up, leather is very dry but still pliable

cramby
05-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I've a cushion on a couch that has aniline wax pull-up finish. There was a children's nail polish disaster on it and a subsequent armor all leather cleaner used to clean it up. Needless to say the cushion lost it's finish and now I'm trying to restore it.

I've gone through the following steps:

Degreaser . . .

Rinsing

pH Balancing

Hydrating

Fatliquor

Fatliquor-Free Surfacing

Wax Effect Replenishing

During each phase it seemed like the leather was just soaking up the liquid. Wasn't able to get to a point where liquid could actually sit and be wiped away with a towel. I eventually just moved onto the Wax Effect but as I'm heating the dried wax effect the really worn central part won't shine. I'm thinking that I need to hydrate it more before going into the wax effect. If that is correct, how do I return to that stage? do I need to go back to degreaser, rinsing, pH etc or can I just go straight back to hydrator and fatliquor?

Andy

Roger Koh
05-04-2017, 04:38 PM
>>> I eventually just moved onto the Wax Effect but as I'm heating the dried wax effect the really worn central part won't shine. I'm thinking that I need to hydrate it more before going into the wax effect. If that is correct, how do I return to that stage?

Do I understand you right, that your concern is “the really worn central part won't shine.”

The rest of the areas you are happy - only this worn central part?

>>> how do I return to that stage?

Which is that stage, please clarify?

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

cramby
05-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Thank you for your reply Roger.

I'm at the wax effect stage, applied the wax effect and the leather still seems too dry, won't blowdry past a matte finish. I want to return to the hydrator-- fatliquour stage. Do I need to degrease the wax effect off before I do that?

regards,
Andy

Roger Koh
05-05-2017, 10:42 AM
>>> I'm at the wax effect stage, applied the wax effect and the leather still seems too dry,

If the leather is dry (due to insufficient fatliquor - to get the fat and oil content reach average 15% - then you may repeat what you have done “I want to return to the hydrator-- fatliquour stage.”

>>> Do I need to degrease the wax effect off before I do that?

No, you do not need that if you have done a thorough cleaning to your satisfaction.

>>> won't blow dry past a matte finish.

If you are talking about returning to its original shine or gloss finish you will this this AnilineTop-76G from this Kit-Aw6.tc system to restore you leather as shining as you wish.
Kit-Aw6.tc - Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit
From the LeatherDoctor.com on-line store:
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw6-tc-aniline-wax-pull-up-leather-topcoat-refinishing-kit/

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]