PDA

View Full Version : 2015 BMW M3 - remove watermark from car door panel nappa leather

Questions!
01-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Hello Roger,
I got water mark on the nappa leather (this leather is dry surface) door panel from rain.
I let it dry and the watermark get ligther after 1-2 days , but it is still noticeable .
please see attached picture.
what products i need to remove this watermark?
i want to get it back to original condition
Thanks!
David

Sivart321
02-03-2017, 04:15 PM
I have the exact same issue.

Curious how I might get this fixed without replacing the leather (upholstry shop) or paying for a new door card ($1600).

This is how mine looks (sadly, I did this to myself and it ruined 3 out of 4 door cards). I was at work and it only rained for ~2 hours before I caught it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30166861/Door%20card.jpg

Roger Koh
02-03-2017, 05:15 PM
These leather structural water damages are rectified with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

In ”clean” water leather damage, it is the pH value of the water that is higher then the leather pH neutral (iso-electric point or pI) of 3 to 5 that causes the leather constituents (tanning agents and fatliquor) to break hydrogen bond and migrate forming ridges.

To rectify unwanted ridges and shrinkage, Hydrator-3.3 is used to relax and separate the stick together fibers from shrinkage and also working to redistribute the migrating constituents back to its original places. When the shrinkages and ridges are restored and while still damp Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished to supple up the leather when dry.

In a holistic system the first step is to do a cleaning with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system. Besides cleaning surface soiling, it charges the amphoteric leather ionic positive (+ve) to increase the hydrogen bonding with the ionic negative (-ve) Fatliquor-5.0.

Products suffix number denotes their pH value in this holistic leather water damages restoration.

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-At5.ws
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-at5-ws-auto-leather-rain-sun-stiffness-restoration-kit/

Let’s discuss the how-to if you are going this route . . .

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

Sivart321
02-03-2017, 05:27 PM
I ordered that kit yesterday as it seemed like what would be required to start the repair process.

Is there any reason why the leather is only damaged near the seam? Does that have anything to do with the glue holding it to the door card?

Happy to learn what the best process would be. Thanks!

Roger Koh
02-04-2017, 11:34 AM
>>> Is there any reason why the leather is only damaged near the seam?
The seam is where the water has gain entry and moves the leather constituents like the tanning agents and the fatliquor like debris on a shoreline.

>>> Does that have anything to do with the glue holding it to the door card?
I have not seen any leather installation that use glue on its suede side.

>>> Happy to learn what the best process would be.
There are 3 steps to this holistic restoration process: Cleaning, Rejuvenating and Protection. Read and understand this general information from the Kit-At5.ws and please ask questions to clarify as severity may differ from case to case. Then write in your own words how you would want to do it (sort of a dry practice) prior to actual application.

(Here is the instruction copy direct from the Kit-At5.ws).

This is a three-part system that works on the water/heat stiffness.
1- CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system,
2- Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system and
3- Protection-B system.

1- CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system: Surface soiling is first removed with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidiffier-2.0 system. Clean-3.8 is the mildest among the cleaner and appropriate higher power cleaning system may be used to match severity of soiling. Example CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system would increase the cleaning power and also lower the pH value to protonate or pH balance alkaline over exposure. Example, both sea water and saddle soap are alkaline pH value above 8 that may have affect the pH chemistry integrity of the leather structure and a lower pH value cleaner helps to balance the pH value to the original pH value of the leather between 3 and 5. It is recommended that surface soiling is first removed or neutralized prior to proceeding to the next step of leather rejuvenating it.

2- Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system: Hydrator-3.3 is used to relax the stick together leather structure fibers opening it up so that the Fatliquor-5.0 can easily penetrated into the inter-fibrillary spaces, plumps and lubricates it. Easier to access the thickness of the leather through the perforated and stitching holes or follow the water path. Preferably is to apply direct from the suede side. It is also safer when working on the suede side without direct contact with the finishes. Dwelling up to 72hours with control evaporation is recommended to relax the fiber for easier manipulation with force staking action using a metal spatula or spoon. The mechanical action force to stretch back the shrinkage may likely damage the surface finishes and safer when work from the reverse suede side if possible, unless coloring or refinishing options is already under consideration. Otherwise to minimize finishes damages force stretching is recommended to be done on the reverse suede side. The shrinkage finishes add burden to the structure stretching as it holds back with stiffness and Hydrator-3.3 has no effect on it. When refinishes is an option (http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ap7-cl-auto-pigmented-perforated-leather-color-refinishing-kit/) then shaving off the color finishes help the leather structure to force stretch back easier. This process of undoing the shrinkage is done in combination with Fatliquor-5.0. Fatliquor helps wedges and lubricates the fiber while it is being separates. Otherwise, when the hydrator dries out before the fatliquor can takes its place the fiber may become stick together again. Leather fibers interlock one another like hinges for flexibility and like metal hinges when it gets rusted and jams tight, a rust remover with mechanical forces works in similar fashion with hydrator before a lubricant like fatliquor is applied to loosen it. Before the leather is completely dry after fatliquor replenishing, it is recommended that it is flexed and massaged until it dries to the desired suppleness.
Tips:
2.1- The thickness of the leather is saturated to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers with Hydrator-3.3.
2.2- The leather is cover up with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell up to 72hrs for complete hydration or saturation.
2.3- When fully hydrated and relaxed it is then manipulate by staking, stretching, massaging or cross flexing the shrinkage to satisfaction. Flat surfaces may be rolled with a glass bottle to eliminate ridges.
2.4- With satisfaction and allowing up to 25% combine moisture content or when a cotton dry towel remains dry from wiping and the leather is still damp with Hydrator-3.3, fatliquoring with Fatliquor-5.0 begins before the leather is completely dry.
2.5- The fatliquored leather is left to slow dry and any surface shining residue is driven into the leather structure by brushing in conjunction with Hydrator-3.3 until milky residue if any turns crystal clear.
2.6- The surface clear moisture is extract with a cotton towel until towel shows dry.
2.7- Begin staking, stretching, massaging or cross flexing one more time before the leather is completely dried for the desired suppleness.

3- Protection-B system: The protection helps in this instance is to impart a rub-resistant wear to the finishes with a buttery-feel and a classic leather scent. Protector-B+ is the leather-scented version.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

Sivart321
02-09-2017, 04:58 PM
For step two, how do you ensure the hydrator stays wet even under a towel and plastic wrap?

Roger Koh
02-10-2017, 11:18 AM
>>> For step two, how do you ensure the hydrator stays wet even under a towel and plastic wrap?

2.2- The leather is cover up with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell up to 72hrs for complete hydration or saturation. Recommend that the moisture level is kept consistently high at daily interval inspection during the hydrating process, otherwise too it up.

2.1- The thickness of the leather is saturated to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers with Hydrator-3.3. Recommend that folding Towel-5 be used as a reservoir to contain the Hydrator-3.3 to slowly penetrate the leather structure, easier through the stitching rows for quick access.