PDA

View Full Version : Which leather Doctor products for this Louis Vuitton Bag?

Questions!
09-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Hi Roger,
I am wondering which products of yours I should use to refurbish this Louis Vuitton bag.
This is a very old bag I found in my mother's basement and I just thought I would give my best shot to refurbish it.
The white spots are salicylic acid, as I read something online about how that would remove water stains.
I do not know what the dark brown stain is on the bottom.
There are a few water stains.
I do not know what the dark stain on the bottom is.
The white spots are salicylic acid.
I took a magic eraser to one of the handles, which is why it's dry and cracked.
Also used it on the bottom of the bag.

#1 The after result of the salicylic was the white spots on the bottom of the bag.

#6 - The handle abrasion is from a magic eraser.

#7 - Yes, the cracked handle was the same as the other one. It was just dark from oils before.

Roger Koh
09-19-2016, 10:53 AM
>>> I am wondering which products of yours I should use to refurbish this Louis Vuitton bag.
The leather trims of this Louis Vuitton bag is known as “Vachetta” and here’s a description of its characteristic:

Vachetta leather derives its popular brownish range of color from the tannin found in vegetable matter such as tree bark.
Its exact shade depends on the mix of the tanning agent and the color of the skin.
It is popularly made into luggage including trimmings of Louis Vuitton handbags.
This leather is left unfinished or naked; therefore, it is susceptible to body oil, grease, sweat, water and other liquid stain.
It is more pH sensitive than most leather types thus the common sweat and cleaning products alkaline overexposure darkens and denatures the leather and eventually cracks when flexed.
Sunlight will cause the natural leather to darken in shade or suntanned, just like our skin; unlike aniline dyes that fades.

Depends on the extent of refurbishing, this Vachetta (V) Leather Problem Solving Matrix helps to achieve the desired result.
Identify the problem from the left column, products recommended from the top row and the numbers represents the sequence of steps.