PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Lauren leather chair care?

Mvttu
07-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Hi, this is my first post and I'm not very knowledgeable about leather I'm hoping for some assistance. I have inherited 4 beautiful Ralph Lauren chairs but the leather seems to be dry. It scratches very easy. Can anyone help me identify the type of leather and a conditioner appropriate to use to restore moisture? Also any basic care recommendations would be appreciated. I visited a local leather furniture store and they recommended a wax conditioner.

Thanks

Martin
Austin TX

Roger Koh
07-25-2016, 09:39 AM
>>> I have inherited 4 beautiful Ralph Lauren chairs but the leather seems to be dry.
“Dryness” of leather is due to the evaporation of the original fatliquor (ionic negative charged fat and oil that hydrogen bond with the ionic positive charged leather protein fiber). Rejuvenating its suppleness from cracking is with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

>>> It scratches very easy.
Those white scratches and scuffmarks are topcoat damages. Refinishing is done with either AnilineTop-76G for typical aniline leathers or AnilineTop-21W for “waxed aniline”.

>>> Can anyone help me identify the type of leather
This is aniline (dye-through) leather and may be finished with a clear polyurethane finishes or a finer compact resin wax finishes that scratches more easily.

>>> and a conditioner appropriate to use to restore moisture?
The proper conditioner system to restore the moisture is using Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. The Hydrator-3.3 first stage is to relax the leather structure and open up any stick together fibers. The 2nd stage is to replenish the diminished or evaporated fat and oil with Fatliquor-5.0. 5/6 of the water content will evaporates that left 1/6 of fat and oil in the leather structure. The 3rd stage is to remove or push in any residue that may remain on the leather surface.

>>> Also any basic care recommendations would be appreciated.
We have not positive identified the finishes type yet its either the standard polyurethane type with AnilineTop-76G or the finer finishes with AnilineTop-21W. The difference may be by appearance that the AnilneTop-76G produces a gloss finish and the AnilineTop-21W produces a waxy-matte finish. The waxy-matte finishes is a more delicate finish that scuff more easily.

Sequence of care should be as follows with the relevant Leather Problem Solving Matrix as reference.
1 – Removing all foreign soiling and stain according.
2 – Leather Rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 > Fataliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
3 – Topcoat Refinishing
4 – Protector-B or W

>>> I visited a local leather furniture store and they recommended a wax conditioner.
There are 2 levels of conditioner, one for dryness and the other protects the finishes. A wax conditioner is a surface conditioner and should match accordingly – Protector-W a waxy-matte surface conditioner complements the AnilineTop-21W topcoat finishes and Protector-B a buttery-feel conditioner that complements AnilineTop-76G to reduce scuffing and abrasion.

We can discuss the details which direction you wish to go.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]