PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Full) - What do I need to restore this sofa?

repairman
02-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Hello, I have an aniline sofa that I purchased used. I would like to clean the sofa to remove oils and as many stains as possible then dye it to a dark brown.

The sofa has lots of small stains of unknown cause, the lady I purchased the couch from had a small dog so I am sure some stains are from that.

There is a layer of black specks on the surface that are worn off in the high traffic areas such as the seat cushion centers. Should I sand off or somehow remove the rest of the black specks to make the couch uniform?

The feel of the leather is rougher on the exposed areas compared to the soft feel of the hidden areas that haven't seen any wear. I would like to rectify this if possible.

If this is something the leather doctor products will work for, would you please advise me on what products I need to buy and in what quantities?

Thank you for your time and advice.

This is the sofa

one of the cushions showing some small stains

Two darker stains. The color on the other photos without flash is close to how it looks. I would like the end product to look more like this photo.

Seat back is more reflective and less supple

Original color and black speck texture. should I sand this off the whole couch to match the seat bottoms?

Thank you.

Roger Koh
02-24-2016, 09:13 AM
>>> There is a layer of black specks on the surface that are worn off in the high traffic areas such as the seat cushion centers. Should I sand off or somehow remove the rest of the black specks to make the couch uniform?

Once you start sanding you would convert it to ‘nubuck’ would be more natural than if you want to repair back as aniline. – Let me know your preference and we can discuss further. However the sanding should be after Restoration Cleaning, Stain Removing and Leather Rejuvenating.

>>> The feel of the leather is rougher on the exposed areas compared to the soft feel of the hidden areas that haven't seen any wear. I would like to rectify this if possible.

Tactile feel is from our finger-tips to detect roughness, the exposed areas may be due to wearing of the layer of black specks and will need to correct by sanding after leather rejuvenating it to soften up.

>>> If this is something the leather doctor products will work for, would you please advise me on what products I need to buy and in what quantities?

Since the leather is highly absorbent and dry it may take up to 2 quarts of Fatliquor-5.0 as a guide and the rest of the products would be based on this ratio. More accurately is to test out on one of the worse cushion and determine the products used per square surface areas and calculate from there. Here are the products used in this recommended sequences of processes:

1 - Restorative Cleaning:
CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0

2 - Stain Removal:
See Aniline (A.fs) Full Sauvage Leather Problem Solving Guide #7 to #17.
The stains are identified and removed according to steps proposed with the corresponding products used from the top row.

3 – Sanitizing:
See #2, and since this is used you may want to have it sanitized as well with Sanitizer-3.9

4 – Leather Rejuvenating:
Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrtator-3.3

5 – Inspection and repeat as necessary.

6 – Dry Sanding to even out appearance.

7 – Decide to ends up as Nubuck, Aniline or Semi-Aniline and we can discuss the necessary step to achieve the desired result.

Aniline (A.fs) Full Sauvage Leather Problem Solving Guide

repairman
02-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks for getting back to me.

Since any sanding needs to be done after cleaning and rejuvenating I think I will wait and see how it turns out and then decide on sanding. I am leaning towards a semi aniline at the moment just to help with durability.

I have also located some surface cat scratches, from the chart you posted cleaning and adjusting ph, then hydrating but do i need all the products listed on the chart after that or only a few?

I will look at each of the products you listed and put an order together shortly.