PDA

View Full Version : Another 2008 f250 king ranch needing serious help!!

Kazecode
10-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, I bought this king ranch used,and love it except for the seats.. the previous owner neglected the seats and i am hoping i can bring them back to new or as close to new as possible. Hopefully someone can help!
thanks,

Roger Koh
10-13-2015, 10:18 AM
>>> i am hoping i can bring them back to new or as close to new as possible. Hopefully someone can help!

In reality once the leather is crack (just like broken strings) it is not possible to return back to new condition. The cracks need to be repaired and may not look the same as before it happens or look in perfect condition as the non-crack areas. To overall improved the appearance and conceal the cracks the bonding material (Bond-3D) needs to be used. Covering up the repairs need an opaque pigment (Micro-54) and in order to simulated back the transparent appearance a matching Aniline-76 (transparent coating dyestuff) system is used. This approach will bring the leather to a like-new condition reducing much of the cracks and turning them to be like natural creases and wrinkles. If this is an acceptable approach we can discuss further.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator / Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach
[email protected]

Kazecode
10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Ok, yeah I figured it wouldn't be perfect when I was done I just want to reverse as much of the damage as possible and get it looking as good as possible and then know what to maintain it with once it's restored. So what products/ things do I need to get to acomplish this?
Look forward to your reply!

Roger Koh
10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
>>> I just want to reverse as much of the damage as possible

Reversing the damages or rather stopping further damages to the cracks has to deal with the leather structure.
That is the leather has dried of its original fatliquor (averages 14% read with a leather moisture meter or equivalent wood moisture meter). The difference needs to be top-up just the way we do with our car engine oil quite often or periodically. Before the fatliquor replenishing the leather stick together fiber need to be relax and separates with the help of Hydrator-3.3. Thus the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 we call it the ‘Rejuvenating’ system.

However prior to the rejuvenating system, the surface soil needs to be removed, degrease and probably will need to adjust its pH chemistry integrity as well. This restorative or preparatory cleaning will require 3 systems that cater for the varied level of soiling and pH contamination. Namely, degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system, protonating or pH balancing with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system and restorative cleaning with Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system.

>>> and get it looking as good as possible

Repairs need to be done after Preparatory Cleaning and Leather Rejuvenation system. Any structural weakness is tighten-up with Impregnator-26. Cracks is fill and bond with Bond-3D + Stucco-90 + Micro-83. Seal with Adhesor-73 and is ready to received the coloring. Since there are the repairs to the cracks and darkening effect that will still show, an ‘opaque’ primary pigment Micro-83 + Thickener-48 is recommended to block-off or cover-up the imperfection. The secondary ‘transparent’ dyestuff Aniline-83 matching color will stimulate back the beauty of depth. The color is seal with matching gloss aniline topcoat with AnilineTop-83G. Protector-B is the last of the refinishing system for a buttery-feel, non-stick rub-resistant finish.

>>> So what products/ things do I need to get to accomplish this?

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-K8.cl
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-k8-cl-king-ranch-leather-repair-refinishing-kit/

If you are still keen on this project, we shall go into the details.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator / Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach
[email protected]

Kazecode
12-16-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks roger! It took me some time to save the money up for this but im ready now, could you please go into as much detail as you could? I have never done anything like this before but im a capeable diy kind of guy. Im going to pull the seats out of the truck for this process as soon as i hear back from you. Will this one kit be enough to do all the leather in my crew cab truck? Thanks again!

Roger Koh
12-17-2015, 08:18 AM
>>> Will this one kit be enough to do all the leather in my crew cab truck?

You may have left overs as well as running short of some products in this kit, refills are available as individual product. As not all seats are of the same condition, doing or finishing up the worst condition seat first will then able to assess the quantity necessary to complete the rest of the seats. When you can handle the toughest then the rest would be easy.

>>> I have never done anything like this before but im a capeable diy kind of guy.

It is just like any painting or refinishing work, the principle is the same. It applies to a pair of shoe as it will also apply to your leather seat - http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?13552-Repairing-an-old-pair-of-Church-s-Shoes

>>> Im going to pull the seats out of the truck for this process as soon as i hear back from you.

Good idea, If you want professional result airbrushing recommended (a less then $20/- air brush will do the job and high pressure 80 to 100psi will produce a better spray – you may start practicing with the sprayer).

>>> could you please go into as much detail as you could?

I will proceed when you have the products at hand and with reference to specific picture that the procedure or detailing will apply.

Kazecode
03-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Okay so i removed all the seats and placed the order, ill wait till i get my shipment and then ill be able to start. Should i post more pictures of the seats? I just want this to turn out as good as it can and need some guidence. Thanks!

Roger Koh
03-31-2016, 09:51 AM
>>> Okay so i removed all the seats and placed the order,
Recommend that you start with your console lid cover so that you know what to expect and judge how much material you will need for the rest of the interior.

>>> ill wait till i get my shipment and then ill be able to start.

Recommend that you upsize all the 120ml bottles to the 250ml bottles and the 60ml to 120ml bottles.
1 - Prep-4.4: 60ml to 120ml add $13
2 – Degreaser-2.2: 120ml to 250ml add $10
3 – Stripper-2.3: 120ml to 250ml add $4
4 – Adhesor-73: 120ml to 250ml add $10
5 – Pigment-84: 120ml to 250ml add $10
6 - Aniline-86: 120ml to 250ml add $10
7 – AnilineTop-86S: 120ml to 250ml add $10

From pictures it shows that the leather is cracking and should not be let dry only after Fatliquor-5.0 otherwise the cracks will get worse.
Recommend that you have refills standby:
Hydrator-3.3 – 60ml concentrate ratio 1: 25 makes 1.64 quarts = $69.95
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/
Fatliquor-5.0 – 250ml concentrate ratio 1: 5 makes 1.58 quarts = $89.95
See an example of how much the dry and cracked leather will drink up both the Hydrator-3.3 and the Fatliquor-5.0 as compare to this little Chanel bag.
http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?15111-Chanel-soft-vintage-leather-bag-%96-it-is-dry-and-would-like-to-refinish-in-black!

>>> Should i post more pictures of the seats?

Post more pictures and with a description to each of the picture, of its condition and your what you wish to accomplished or expectation.

>>> I just want this to turn out as good as it can and need some guidence.

As this is your own you do not want to do a job that past just the “eyeball test” – looks good but soon cracks up again – as I see in other under-performed repairs and refinishing. The leather condition already shows cracking and attention is needed to return the leather to original suppleness besides repairing up the cracks. The end result should able to withstand up to 2000psi in tear strength otherwise below 1800psi the leather structure is vulnerable to tear and crack easily. The strength of the leather depends on the Fatliquor-5.0 and average fatliquor moisture content of its fat and oil should be up to 14% measure with a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture meter.

Besides removing the foreign contamination, the leather needs to be rejuvenated prior to repairs before refinishing. The leather rejuvenating and repairs will take a longer time then just applying the finishing coloring.

Here are some readings how to rejuvenate the thickness of the leather structure

Leather Doctor Hydrator-3.3 is a waterbased pH 3.3 leather-safe hydrator. It is a fatliquor preconditioner with multi functional abilities. Surface application is primary to check for even surface tension free of blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing. Structural application will require saturating to an optimum level with moisture oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers. This universal Hydrator-3.3 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

The multi functional abilities include:
a) To check for surface tension for an even appearance free from blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
b) To plumps, relaxes and separates crushed, shrunk and stick together fibrils for manipulating away-unwanted creases and wrinkles.
c) To clean the leather of structural foreign contamination, the plump and limp leather is squeeze with towel laid between the leather and a smooth spatula or equivalent.
d) To rectify alkaline overexposure areas by facilitating colloidal water movement to redistribute the leather constituents from surrounding areas.
e) To activate the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure for color refreshing.
f) To facilitates colloidal water movement within the inter-fibrillary spaces for wicking foreign soiling particulates to resurface.
g) To stabilize, pH balance and charge the protein fiber below its iso-electric point (pI) ionic positive to hydrogen bond with the ionic negative fatliquor more effectively.

Instruction:

A. Surface Tension Inspection:
A1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 evenly and wipe with lint free towel to free of surface tension for an even appearance prior to fatliquor replenishing.

B. Stiffness, Creases and Wrinkles:
B1. Saturate the thickness of the leather to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
B2. Cover up with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell up to 72hrs for softness.
B3. Manipulate by stretching and cross flexing to relax the leather to satisfaction prior to fatliquor replenishing.
B4. With satisfaction the Fatliquor-5.0 has to be immediately replenished while the leather is perhaps at 25% Hydrator-3.3 moisture level.

C. Cleaning:
C1). A combination of cleaning while saturating the leather is done with horsehair Brush-1 on the surface and towel extracting it. Deep cleaning beneath the surface from the leather structure for liquid stain is done with squeezing the leather with a smooth spatula with a towel in between to reduce abrasion and absorbing the foreign contamination – See F below

D. Rectify Alkaline Overexposure:
D1. Saturate the thickness of the leather to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
D2. Cover up with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell for redistributing of the leather constituents from surrounding area.
D3. Observe for appearance and test by finger for tactile squeaky feel prior to fatliquor replenishing.

E. Activating Dormant Dyestuff to Resurface:
E1. Saturate the thickness of the leather to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
E2. Cover up with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell up to 72 hours for excess dyestuff to resurface.
E3. Remove plastic cover and let it natural dry to observe color improvement prior to fatliquor replenishing.

F. Removing Penetrated Stains:
F1. Saturate the thickness of the leather to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
F2. Cover up with plastic wrapping to control evaporation and let it dwell up to 72 hours for foreign soiling particulates to resurface.
F3. Remove plastic wrapping, replace with tissue paper without airspace to trap stains as it dries instead of remaining on the surface. Recommend that Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished in combination at this stage especially if the leather has already show signs of cracking.
F4. Peel tissue paper when crispy dry and erase with Eraser-4 or Eraser-5 for suede accordingly prior to fatliquor replenishing.

Leather Doctor Fatliquor-5.0 is an anionic negative (-ve) charged micro emulsion of fat, oil and water for rejuvenating all leather types. It is typically used in conjunction after Hydrator-3.3 relaxing and opening up the fibrous leather structure. It softens the leather when dry with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility, while enhancing its rip tensile strength greatly. It is for replenishing the original fat and oil that diminishes thru sun bleaching, ageing, heat and alkaline overexposure or cleaning. On application, the water-encased molecule breaks free when ionic attraction takes place between the fat and oil with the leather protein fiber. The excess free water content wicks out leaving a breathing space behind for leather natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness from easily collapsing into creases and wrinkles during stress or flex, while the oil lubricates the fibers so that they slide over one another smoothly like millions of inter-connecting hinges. Thus helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing. This universal Fatliquor-5.0 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Leather Approximate Quantity or Percentage of Fatliquor:

The quantities of fatliquor (fat and oil) contents retained in the leather after an universal tannery fatliquoring process may varies up to 14% depending on the leather types and it usage. This percentage drops as the fat and oil content diminishes or leaches through ageing, water, heat or chemical overexposure.
Leather rejuvenating or fatliquor replenishing is base on weight of the leather in relation to the percentage of remaining fatliquor. A simple calculation of percentage of fatliquor topping up requirement would be as follows:
If the weight of the leather in question is 100gm and fatliquor (fat and oil) content meter reading is less than 1%.
By applying 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to it will deliver an end result incremental of 13.3% fatliquor when dry as the 66.6% water contents evaporates.
In the leather rejuvenating Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system, Hydrator-3.3 plays an important role by relaxing, opening up the inter-fibrillary spaces, facilitating and redistributing colloidal water movement, protonating and doing all the pre-conditioning work prior to fatliquoring including cleaning up any excess surface remnants to have a sticky-free surface. In practice with severe dryness the ratio for Hydrator-3.3 is 2 to 1 of Fatliquor-5.0.
It works out to be approximately 160gm of Hydrator-3.3 plus 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to replenish a 100gm dry leather from less than 1% back to the original tannery up to 14% fatliquor content.

Instruction:
1 Apply Fatliquor-5.0 and redistribute with foam brush until saturation.
2 Repeat applications each time water contents evaporate until fully saturated.
3 Drive remaining surface remnants free of milky fat and oil until it turns clear with Hydrator-3.3.
4 Allow natural drying for extra softness.
5 Suppleness for vegetable-tanned leathers is further stake or massage or flex accordingly with a little wet back with Hydrator-3.3 prior to doing so to prevent cracking from under replenished leather.

Tips:
1 When crispy dry, prior surface contaminations/damages may darkens as soiling particulates resurface.
2 Removes soiling particulates with Eraser-4 for all leathers including nubuck and Eraser-5 for suede.
3 Stretching the darken areas lightly will also lightens the appearance.

Kazecode
04-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Okay i decided to just tackle the drivers seat first and see where i am after this as far as supplies

Roger Koh
04-20-2016, 10:20 AM
>>> Okay i decided to just tackle the drivers seat first and see where i am after this as far as supplies

I recommend that you start with the console cover to get the feel of the complete system:

Use this King Ranch (A) Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide for reference. Identify the problem from the left column, the products recommended from the top row and the number indicates the sequence of process.

Kazecode
04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Awesome! I will take your advice then and move on to the seat after the console lid

Kazecode
02-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Okay its been a while, i blew my oil cooler in my truck and work has been crazy. but im ready to do this. i bought a new console lid and sold my old one to help pay for the new one. and all the other seats are in good condition. so i decided to focus my attention on the drivers seat first. so with that in mind where do i start on this chart? its a lot of information to take in and i guess im just worried that i will do something out of order and ruin the leather. can you give me an order to go in with the chemicals specific to working on my front seat? thanks!

Kazecode
02-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Here is a pic of it out of the truck in the sun

Roger Koh
02-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Let me know how you wish to proceed and I will give you some tips . . .

Kazecode
02-08-2017, 06:17 AM
I guess my main question is in post 8 you gave me instructions on rejuvenating, is this where i need to start for this seat? or do i need to start with something else?

Roger Koh
02-08-2017, 10:09 AM
You will need to start with something else is correct.

Take a picture of all products that you have and I will prepare you the sequence of processes from start to finish.

Kazecode
02-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Thanks Roger, I will upload a picture tonight when i get home from work.

Kazecode
02-14-2017, 04:24 AM
Here is the kit that i have 7529

Roger Koh
02-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Tips:

A - First Phase

1- Work only on the seat cushion.
2- Start with Degreasing System - Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 and before it dries continue with 3-
3- Leather Rejuvenating System - Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

You may want to do some readings on these mentioned products and clarify before you commence . . .

Degreaser-2.2
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/degreaser-2-2/

Acidifier-2.0
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/acidifier-2-0/

Hydrator-3.3
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/

Fatliquor-5.0
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

Thank you.
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com