PDA

View Full Version : 2000 BMW M5 leather re-dye issue...

bcampbe7
07-21-2015, 07:31 PM
I have a 2000 BMW M5 that I attempted a leather re-dye on. The color turned out great as far as matching, but I must have done something wrong as all the seats are now sticky (tacky) feeling. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I felt like I did the prep to a "T" but to be honest I may have put the dye and or topcoat on too thick. Not sure if that would cause the sticky/tacky issue or not. I am considering stripping the color and starting over.

Roger Koh
07-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Finishes tackiness may be corrected by using 10% of Crosslinker-25 to the topcoat.

Leather structure tackiness is pH related to the amphoteric leather and need to pH balance with Acidifier-2.0, other it will revert to rawhide.

It is recommended that you used a “match system” then we can trouble shoot easier.

When stripping the color it is recommend using a stripper that has a low pH of 2.3 (Stripper-2.3) to take care of the leather structure from tackiness.

Another consideration is any stripper when used will also dries up the existing fatliquor and dries stiffer – a leather rejuvenating system with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 is recommended prior to color refinishing.

By the way which system you used that have this sticky problem?

A holistic system is available as:

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ap7-cl-auto-pigmented-perforated-leather-color-refinishing-kit/
Leather Doctor® Kit-Ap7.cl, auto pigmented (perforated) leather color refinishing kit is design for abrasion damages especially from friction rubs while getting in and out of seat. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure with all-purpose cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A preview of a leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalized once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is activated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Structural weakness from overstretching is re-strengthened with Impregnator-26, while surface uneven absorption is sealed with Adhesor-73. These repair and auxiliary products where necessary reduces the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach
[email protected]