PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Micro or Semi-Aniline) - Worn semianiline cushions scratched and faded - for ' Gaffney"

chet
07-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Roger, we have custom mixed Micro-54 dye to repair these cushions but I want to check my sequence of repair.

Prep 7.7 agitate, extract reapply and dwell overnight
Clean 3.8 agitate, extract repeat till towels show clean
Rinse 3.0 extract till squeaky clean
Hydrate- overnight and cover so they soak up Hydrator
Fatliquor- overnight and allow to air dry- may re-apply hydrator

Rinse lightly- to remove any fatliquor on surface
Impregnator- on damaged areas- wipe off excess, dry and repeat until cracks are strengthened (can I mix some dye with impregnator?)

glue any flaps down
sand as necessary to insure smooth

Apply adhesor- scrub in and wipe off excess

Apply Micro-54
Sand in between coats if necessary

Apply MicroTop Satin

7-7A Overall 8 small cushions

7-7B Worse cushion

7-7C Flaps that need to be glued down

7-7D Cracks that need strengthening

Roger Koh
07-07-2015, 11:32 AM
>>> (can I mix some dye with impregnator?)

Impregnator is meant for the leather structure below surface – do not mix with dye.

Pictures 7-7C & 7-7D shows pigment deteriorated and binding with the leather crust is compromised.
It will pose continuous weakness while the new coating sits on top. New coating need to be bind to the leather crust instead for a long lasting refinishing. Thus deteriorated coating should be stripped off.

chet
07-07-2015, 11:58 AM
When you say stripped off, what exactly do you mean?

Roger Koh
07-08-2015, 08:25 AM
>>> When you say stripped off, what exactly do you mean?

Poor existing binding coating is removed by Razor-60 during the rinsing process.
In addition, existing leather crust should be inspected with tackiness and pH balance with Acidifier-2.0.
Deteriorating surface if any is fine sand off, otherwise new coating failure may be associated with it.

chet
07-21-2015, 05:55 AM
We are having a hard time covering with Micro-54 Should we keep applying coats until it covers or switch to Pigment? It is wear the leather had dark scratches.

Roger Koh
07-21-2015, 01:34 PM
As mentioned post#4 - stripping off deteriorated existing finishes will produce a better even result.

Alternative is to sand off existing new coating so that the damaged areas level up.

The logic is to have a level application when finished.

You may show some pictures.