thekurgan
06-30-2015, 08:40 AM
I've restored the steering wheel in my BMW M5 using these methods:

1. Prep 7.7
2. Cleaner 3.8
3. Rinse 3.0
4. Acidifier
5. Hydrator 3.3 (24 hours)
6. Fatliquor (48 hours, refresh in between)
7. Hydrator 3.3
8. After 96 hour drying, 8 coats of Microtop-54D
9. Protect with Protector-D

My question is about the durability of the microtop-54. If properly cared for, will I have to re-apply the microtop-54 again in the future or is there some type of maintenance?

The wheel is absolutely factory fresh, it is dull in shine, no longer sticky or greasy and is a pleasure to use.

Thanks for any information.

Roger Koh
07-03-2015, 09:40 AM
>>> If properly cared for, will I have to re-apply the microtop-54 again in the future

Re-applying the MicroTop-54D will be the last resort after cleaning them fails to produce desired result.

>>> or is there some type of maintenance?

A well maintains leather finish will hold longer than left to neglect.
So a maintenance program at interval depending on usage will prolong refinishing.
Typical sweat or perspiration damages leather as it pH value increases and when ammonia odor is detected it would have reach a pH value of 10.
A healthy leather is within a pH range of 3 and 5.
To eliminate shifting pH damages from sweat using Rinse-3.0 with a pH value of 3.0 on a routine basis keep the leather and finishes pH chemistry integrity healthy.
Protector-D follows to prolong the wear of the finish topcoat.
You may refer to the Pigmented (P.a) Auto – Leather Problem Solving Guide for maintenance that matches the soiling type or severity accordingly.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach

thekurgan
07-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Thank you, Roger!

I will keep this chart handy and I do have ample supply of the Rinse 3.0 and did a quick clean using it Saturday and the results were perfect. I followed with Protector D+ and it feels better than brand new.

Roger Koh
07-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Did you used Protector-D+ which is leather scented

or Protector-D which is scentless with less of s sheen build from the leather scent oil component.

thekurgan
07-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Did you used Protector-D+ which is leather scented

or Protector-D which is scentless with less of s sheen build from the leather scent oil component.

I did use the " + " version for the scent. The sheen provided was welcomed and nothing like the tacky/greasy look of the 13 year old wheel. I applied the protector with a foam brush and let it dry overnight and it's been flawless since. I plan to do the door grab handles this weekend with the same technique.