PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Full), Make: Hancock & Moore – tufted loveseat, oily arm, dry and cracking seat – restoration for ‘Maciejko’

chet
06-01-2015, 05:21 AM
We will be restoring this loveseat, I think we will need Micro-54 but let me know for sure. Please advise on proper sequence of restoration.

5-5A Overall pic shows oily right arm

5-5B Shows some dry and cracking conditions

5-5C Shows very dry and severe cracking of seat cushion.

5-5D Shows oil stain on right arm

Roger Koh
06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
>>> 5-5A Overall pic shows oily right arm
>>> 5-5D Shows oil stain on right arm

By Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
Degreaser-2.2 need to penetrate and saturate below the stain.
As the reverse of the leather is more porous thus holds more grease and oil than what we see on the tighter grain surface, is just like we see an iceberg floating on water is only the tip of it. It also needs enough volume of the Degreaser-2.2 to emulsify the oily or greasy stains beneath.
Surface suspended soiling is removed with Acidifier-2.0 both as rinse, bleeding control and pH balancing the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) to strengthen the ionic attraction of the ionic negative (-ve) tanning agents from reverting the leather to rawhide. A sign of leather denaturing is the detection of a tacky or slimy surface and need to be rectified back to a squeaky feel with Acidifier-2.0. Hydrator-3.3 function is for below surface moving up the suspended soiling particulates to the surface to be towel extracted while damp. Continuous wet phase is by Fatliquor-5.0, to replenished original fatliquor while the combine moisture level is around 25% and work with Eraser-4 when the leather is crispy dry.

>>> 5-5B Shows some dry and cracking conditions
>>> 5-5C Shows very dry and severe cracking of seat cushion.

By Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
Although the system is the same as above the emphasis is different paying more attention to the potential exaggerating of the severe cracking problem. As the fatliquor moisture level is lower at the damaged areas it should be replenished as soon and as much immediately after Hydrator-3.3.
Acidifying as a tacky or slimy control, hydrating to relax the fibers for immediate fatliquor replenishing is an over riding consideration from further cracking the weak and damaged leather structure.
Adhesor-73 is recommended as sealer to avoid adhesion problem.

>>> 5-5C Shows very dry and severe cracking of seat cushion.

Internal structural repairs will need Impregnator-26.
Surface repairs will need Bond-3D and others depending on the extent of damages
Micro-54 may be used to hide repair damages.
Aniline-76 may be used to beautify the finishes.
AnilineTop-76S may be used to adjust the luster level.

Need to confirm if you need Aniline-76 as well and amount.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
[email protected]

chet
08-03-2015, 09:01 AM
8-3A Close up of damaged seat, after I applied Impregnator 2 times.

8-3B another tufted seat area

8-3C The last tufted seat area

I just applied Impregnator 2 more times I would let it dwell and soak in for a few minutes then wipe off the excess. Then allow it to air dry for half an hour or so, and then repeating.

I was going to let it fully dry then mix Stucco, Glue and a little color to fill the rest.

Roger Koh
08-04-2015, 09:01 AM
>>> I was going to let it fully dry then mix Stucco, Glue and a little color to fill the rest.

I recommend Bond-3D with a little color without the Stucco-90 for this high wear and flex area for a long lasting repairs.

Stucco-90 is for non-flex areas, examples corners or non-body contact surfaces.

chet
08-05-2015, 09:24 AM
8-5A
After repairing these very weak and worn areas is it possible to clean them again? When applying Adhesor I was getting soil on my paper towel. There was no way to thoroughly clean these areas originally because they would have fallen apart and split. I did clean with 2.2 and 4.4 many times but with minimal agitation.

Roger Koh
08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
>>> There was no way to thoroughly clean these areas originally because they would have fallen apart and split.

In cracks situation my recommendation in the wet cleaning process is to continue with the leather rejuvenating process and make sure that enough Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished (14% fatliquor content when dry) or predetermine the amount of fatliquor necessary to reach this 14% fatliquor moisture level (see Leather Approximate Quantity or Percentage of Fatliquor) from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

>>> I did clean with Degreaser-2.2 and Prep-4.4 many times but with minimal agitation.

Make sure you have sufficient rinsing with Acidifier-2.0 for Degreaser-2.2 that takes care of pH balancing the possible contaminated leather structure until you have a squeaky feel for the sake of the pH chemistry integrity of the leather from reverting to rawhide.

Residue from Prep-4.4 has to be removed with Clean-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0.

While the leather structure is still damp towel extracted to about 25% total moisture level, Hydrator-3.3 continues to relax the leather shrinkage closing up cracks if possible. When satisfied with the multi function of the Hydrator-3.3 (see instruction from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/ ), Excess moisture level is towel extracted until towel shows clean. At 25% moisture level Fatliquor-5.0 commences and is repeated each time the moisture level reads 25% moisture level. The water contents that breaks free is extracted until the towel shows clean before additional application.

>>> There was no way to thoroughly clean these areas

Cleaning of the leather structure below surface is performed at each and every interval where the moisture or water contents that brings up soiling particulates. So cleaning comes in many levels as long as it helps to release foreign soling particulates from the surface of the leather. At every wet stage or phase of the cleaning process it contribute or dovetail to the total cleaning effort.

chet
08-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Is it possible to clean these areas now even though they have been repaired?

Roger Koh
08-05-2015, 12:21 PM
How would you like to clean it with?

Adhesor-73 is also used for cleaning as mentioned above.

chet
08-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Either 2.2 or 4.4 and allow to dwell overnight, then rinse with acidifier. I can only guess that this is perspiration form bare legs or a dog or cat laying on the front of the seat area. What do you recommend to use? I'm ok with using adhesor to clean with but if you think I can draw more contamination with something else I'm all for it.

Roger Koh
08-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Preferred re-cleaning with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system in a continuous wet process. Continuous wet process is not to allow the leather moisture content becoming too dry best at average 25% before the next process overlaps. Crack leathers such as shown should only left to dry after sufficient Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished (up to 14% when dry) otherwise it cracks further for the lack of fatliquor.

Sanding with 2000grit to remove surface Adhesor-73 opening up the pores will allow ease of soiling contamination to resurface.

“Reverse Transfer” of soiling with Towel-T5 at the end of Acidifier-2.0, Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 helps further wicks up any foreign soiling particulates.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator / Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach