PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Embossed Aligator - ottoman, faded and worn - for 'Cavazes'

chet
05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Client wants us to restore this ottoman.

1 The leather is getting stretched and is getting smooth, I don't think there is any way to restore the embossed feel.
2 It is faded, and I'm concerned that if we try to dye we will darken in where it used to be embossed and was supposed to be lighter in color to define the embossing.

I was going to prep clean 4.4overnight, Clean and rinse. then Hydrate and Fatliquor. Let me know what you think?

5-11A Overall shows faded sides

5-11B Top view shows it is darker in the middle and lighter around the outside.

5-11C Shows that the embossing is almost gone from wear and stretching but the pattern remains in the finish.

Roger Koh
05-12-2015, 06:29 PM
>>> The leather is getting stretched and is getting smooth, I don't think there is any way to restore the embossed feel.

Agree. Not possible as this has to be gone under an embossing with great pressure and heat.

>>> It is faded, and I'm concerned that if we try to dye we will darken in where it used to be embossed and was supposed to be lighter in color to define the embossing.

I believe this is a two-color system just like “tipping” lighter on the primary and darker on the secondary.

>>> I was going to prep clean 4.4overnight, Clean and rinse. then Hydrate and Fatliquor. Let me know what you think?

Hydrating may loosen up the embossing and making it less evident – not advisable to dwell overnight for this case.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor