PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Wax Pull-Up) - brown leather chair with light oils in arms and back - Sun fading, for: "Russell"

chet
03-13-2015, 08:23 AM
4791#14793#247924792#34794#44795#5
I ordered 500ml of aniline 76. Let me know if you think differently.

Roger Koh
03-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Aniline-76 system for refinishing.

Optional restoration of "Pull-up Effect" is with WaxEffect-8.6.

Is leather sample on the way?

chet
04-14-2015, 07:01 AM
We have Wax Effect in stock. It is a finishing product so we don't need it custom ordered.

Roger Koh
04-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Sample received is an Aniline Wax Pull-up effect.

Originally wax effect derives its color from Dyestuff, Wax effect and Fatliquor.

Sequence of Original Color Finishing:
1st - Dyestuff used similar to Aniline-21, which stain below surface.
2nd – Fatliquor used similar to Fatliquor-5.0 softens the leather and also intensifies the color intensity.
3rd - Wax effect used similar to WaxEffect-8.6 produces the pull-up effect, darkens the leather and impart a natural sheen to it.

When these absorbent leathers becomes contaminated with body oil, grease and sweat soiling and years of “non-leather-safe” cleaning that weakens the ionic attraction between the leather protein fiber and the dyestuff the above original color refinishing may not response well.

Alternative is by dye ‘coating’ it rather than by ‘staining’ it.
Thus Aniline-76 is used as the final process.
After Fatliquor-5.0 and Wax Effect-8.6.

Wax Effect-8.6 produces the original darkening effect and when pull lighter is an option.
And AnilineTop-76G goes on top of Wax Effect-8.6.

Your order is Aniline-76 500ml or 250ml x 2

>>> We have Wax Effect in stock. It is a finishing product so we don't need it custom ordered.

Correct!
Note that when using Wax Effect-8.6 it has to be activated by heat blower prior to coating dyeing.
Recommend adding 10% of Thickener-48 to the dyestuff prior to applying for flow control.

chet
04-27-2015, 11:04 AM
This chair just arrived, I don't think it looks oily, it could use a good cleaning and has color loss in the lighter areas. I was going to Prep clean with 4.4 overnight and clean and rinse tomorrow and begin hydrating.

Roger Koh
04-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Applying Prep-4.4 evenly with a foam brush without streaks will have a more even appearance, working from heavy soiling areas and feather it out entirely without leaving any dry areas.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
[email protected]

chet
04-29-2015, 12:48 PM
4-29A Close-up of arm, We prep cleaned overnight, Cleaned and Rinsed today. It became apparent that the arms and middle of back have perspiration and oil so I used DeGrease right after rinsing. I let dwell for an hour and rinsed with Acidifier while using aniline eraser. I repeated the degreasing and acidifying several times. It feels squeaky clean now, however; The arms are showing the dried out cracked look.

I have kept wet with acidifier, then rinsed and now hydrator, normally I would hydrate overnight and begin fatliquor tomorrow. But because it feels so dry and I'm worried about cracking and drying I was going to fatliquor starting now. What do you think?

Roger Koh
04-29-2015, 12:57 PM
>>> I'm worried about cracking and drying I was going to fatliquor starting now. What do you think?

Perfectly right for this situation!
While Hydrator-3.3 opens up the stick-to-gather fibers Fatliquor-5.0 replenished right away without waiting will ease the over-drying of the leather, otherwise it will dry cracking.
Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system until the leather normalized up.
A gentle stretching at the right direction will closed up the micro cracks significantly.

Why is the color so pale?

Roger Koh
[email protected]

chet
04-29-2015, 02:15 PM
4-29B It developed this pale look when I started cleaning with Clean3.8, at first I thought it was the was absorbing the moisture and looking cloudy. But then it occurred to me that this is a high back chair and her head must rest where it looks cloudy, because it looks great above and below that area. the arms developed the same cloudy appearance too. So that's when I decided to rinse thoroughly and begin using D Grease to break down the oils and perspiration and rinse with Acidifier to restore the correct ph to the leather. It didn't help with the cloudiness though.

4-29C The arms look better with hydrator and fatliquor, the cracks seem to have closed up slightly.

4-29D the other arm after fatliquor.

I will hydrate and fatliquor again tomorrow morning and afternoon, and keep covered until Friday.

chet
05-04-2015, 08:40 AM
5-4 A While hydrating and fatliquoring we were getting rings, so we lightly wet sanded with 1000 grit and kept hydrating and fatliquoring and gently agitating with horsehair brush until it was uniform. we ultimately hydrated and fatiliquored for 4 days. Re-applying twice a day.

5-4B It now looks darker and more uniform except where we need to dGrease the arms again. So we will be doing that today and tomorrow.

chet
05-05-2015, 06:40 AM
4-5A We dGreased thoroughly, rinsed with Acidifier then Rinsed many times (squeaky clean now). covered with paper towel to see if any more grease wicks up.

I plan on hydrating and fatiquoring arms again today.

Roger Koh
05-07-2015, 12:25 PM
How's the progress?

chet
05-11-2015, 11:40 AM
5-11A After a lot of hydrator and fatliquor and thorough drying over the weekend. There are no rings and leather looks relatively uniform except where all the perspiration and oils were.

There is some cracking. Should that be strengthened and filled with Impregantor or something else?

Or should we proceed with Wax effect?

Let me now what you think the remaining steps should be?

chet
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM
5-11B Close-up of cracks on top of right arm

5-11C Close up of cracks front of right arm

5- 11D Close up of cracks front of left arm

5-11E Right top

Roger Koh
05-11-2015, 04:28 PM
>>> There is some cracking. Should that be strengthened and filled with Impregnator-26 or something else?

Use Impregnator-26 into the leather structure

>>> Or should we proceed with Wax effect?

Creating a below surface wax pull-up effect is not possible when Aniline-76 system is used for this chair.
Finished off as an aniline system and used the WaxEffect-8.6 as a topping to create the original waxy sheen without the pull-up effect.

The pull-up effect is only possible when not a drastic change is going to take place – that is periodic care.

This would be a repair and a refinishing using a “coating dyestuff” will deviate from the original Pull-up effect but the waxy sheen may maintain after the topcoating.

Note:
Original Pull-up effect is created by using Aniline-21 + Fatliquor-5.0 + WaxEffect-8.6 + AnilineTop-21G.

chet
05-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Some of these cracks are deeper and I don't think will fill with impregnator. I think after using impregnator to strengthen we will have to use stucco + Glue + Dye.? Then sanding and adhesor prior to dyeing the entire chair?

Roger Koh
05-12-2015, 04:35 PM
You are correct!

You can show each stage of the repair-in-progress as each product serves its contributing purpose and as a continuous system collectively restores the problem.

And coating dyestuff Aniline-76 system is used will deviate from the original pull-up effect - simply only as an aniline finish.

chet
05-18-2015, 12:07 PM
5-18A Overall after aniline 76 much improved, but areas that were faded no longer have pull up effect. Is it possible to apply Wax effect to get the pull up effect after applying aniline 76?

5-18B L arm

5-18C L arm IS

5-18D R arm

5-18E R arm IS

chet
05-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Pic 5-18D R arm is getting too weak to stretch and knead, it is starting to fray in one of the cracks, so I'm going to use some impregnator to strengthen it some more. I stripped off the aniline 76 and applied wax effect to the back but I still don't like the results.
I think we are going to have to repair cracks with darker stucco mixture and finish the chair with aniline 76. should I use stripper where we applied wax effect? and will aniline 76 stick to the waxy surface everywhere else?
You mentioned removing the wax effect appearance by stripping with 3m scrub pad? Can you explain that again?

Roger Koh
05-18-2015, 12:55 PM
>>> 5-18A Overall after aniline 76 much improved, but areas that were faded no longer have pull up effect. Is it possible to apply Wax effect to get the pull up effect after applying aniline 76?

WaxEffect-8.6 need to go below surface thus Aniline-76 need to be stripped with Stripper-2.3.
Fading need Hydrator-3.3 to activate the dormant or excess dyestuff to resurface otherwise it will require ‘staining dyestuff’ Aniline-21 to go below surface to add or improve appearance. Fatliquor-5.0 is also a contributing part in a wax pull-up fashion effect to soften the leather for stretching effect.
Note:
Two function of the WaxEffect-8.6:
First is to go below surface in combination with the existing dyestuff and fatliquor to produce the lightening effect when pull or stretched.
Second is to deposit a wax crystalline on the surface when dry and when activated produce a natural shine.

WaxEffect-8.6 application sequence for this particular case recommended:
1 – Below surface saturation for an even appearance is rub-in without damaging the grain.
2 – Any surface wax crystalline is removed off the surface from interfering with Aniline-76 application.
3 – AnilneTop-76G follows
4 – WaxEffect-8.6 is again applied and wax crystalline is activated to produce a natural sheen.

Roger Koh

Roger Koh
05-18-2015, 01:09 PM
>>> Pic 5-18D R arm is getting too weak to stretch and knead, it is starting to fray in one of the cracks, so I'm going to use some impregnator to strengthen it some more.

Make sure to apply enough to saturate it and any surface or surrounding is wiped off immediately.

>>> I stripped off the aniline 76 and applied wax effect to the back but I still don't like the results.

It my be very distressing to work with ‘distressed’ pull-up effect if the leather is almost dead besides it will also need lots of Fatliquor-5.0 as well to rejuvenate it.

>>> should I use stripper where we applied wax effect?

Yes, you may.

>>> and will aniline 76 stick to the waxy surface everywhere else?

Etch the surface with Adhesor-73 and remove all surface build-up.

>>> You mentioned removing the wax effect appearance by stripping with 3m scrub pad? Can you explain that again?

Using a dry white fine scouring pad on a dry surface and moving in a circular motion will remove the darkening effect of the wax effect producing an even lighter appearance.

Roger Koh

chet
05-19-2015, 06:05 AM
5101[/ATTACH
5-19A You mentioned almost dead leather and I agree that this leather has been dried out and neglected. We hydrated and fatliquored this leather for many days with many applications and it still has cracks, micro cracks and other imperfections that prevent us from restoring to wax pull up. This seat cushion doesn't look too bad until I show the close up which follows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5102
5-19B Close inspection shows that micro cracks have closed up but are still there and show through when trying to aniline-76 dye. So we stripped off and this is how it looks now.

I'm going to Use impregnator and wipe off to fill micro cracks.

I used some suede fibers mixed with 3d glue to fill and repair front of left arm and have been filling those cracks with darker stucco and 3d mix.

I am going to lightly sand 1000 grit and use adhesor after all filling and repair work is complete.

I was going to blend repair and discolored areas with matching base color micro-54 to even out appearance and then finally apply Aniline-76 to finish.

I will send pics of progress. Let me know if I should adjust any of these procedures.

Roger Koh
05-19-2015, 08:23 AM
>>> I used some suede fibers mixed with 3d glue to fill and repair front of left arm and have been filling those cracks with darker stucco and 3d mix.

Apply Bond-3D to the gap then filled with donor fiber roll linear to place it in saves time.
Used the donor suede from any reverse side of this chair so that the dye matches.
Keep the percentage of Stucco-90 between 25 to 50% for increase strength in high used or flexed areas for durability.

chet
05-21-2015, 12:28 PM
I know it is no longer wax pull up, but it looks great and feels very good.

5-21A Applied Micro-54 mixed to lightest shade of base to cover and blend dark areas.

5-21B Finished applying Aniline-76 custom color to finish blending. We used a line pattern with airbrush to match veins and stretch marks, duplicating original pattern as much as possible. I think we ended up with a very nice look.

5-21C close up of seat cushion with original swatch

5-21D close up of arm, match is good and cracks are nearly invisible.

Roger Koh
05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
>>> 5-21B Finished applying Aniline-76 custom color to finish blending. We used a line pattern with airbrush to match veins and stretch marks, duplicating original pattern as much as possible. I think we ended up with a very nice look.

It looks great, you have artistic imagination and talent!

How do you do it, freehand?

Try spraying through a stencil the next time!