PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Simulated) - Art Van - Fixed Pigmented? BiCast? 12FT Leather Sectional Restoration - 'Koscielny"

chet
02-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Roger, Please advise if dye should be pigmented. I ordered micro-54. Thanks.

Roger Koh
02-26-2015, 01:15 PM
>>> Roger, Please advise if dye should be pigmented. I ordered micro-54. Thanks

All right, with Micro-54 system, adjust with Thickener-48 (increase viscosity) accordingly.

Put a # number to the pictures for easy reference.

What do you see on the reverse side of the rip - suede or fabric?

chet
04-03-2015, 06:44 AM
03-A Using an eye loop and dental pick I'm quite sure we're dealing with a pigmented leather. I plan on backing this tear and filling normally with 3d and stucco.
Should we wipe down the repair areas with stripper? We prep cleaned everything with 7.7 overnight and thoroughly cleaned and rinsed today.

chet
04-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Roger, This leather in my opinion is lower grade, maybe even split on the seating surfaces. On some of the seat cushions the grain has virtually disappeared just from being used and has a fake vinyl look to it. From my last 2 pictures I can definitely see suede on the back side but how can you tell if leather is a split that has been filled and corrected?

Roger Koh
04-03-2015, 02:02 PM
>>> 03-A Using an eye loop and dental pick I'm quite sure we're dealing with a pigmented leather.

Corrected it is Monotone-Pigmented finished leather.

>>> I plan on backing this tear and filling normally with 3d and stucco.

Depends on the backing system and how practical the procedure.
A backing can be done from the back with the Leather Doctor system.
It can also be done with an alternative “vinyl system” from the front.

>>> Should we wipe down the repair areas with stripper?

Not recommended!

>>> We prep cleaned everything with 7.7 overnight and thoroughly cleaned and rinsed today.

Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 + sanding preferred to Stripper-2.3 in this particular situation.

>>> Roger, This leather in my opinion is lower grade, maybe even split on the seating surfaces.

This is class as “simulated leathers” not genuine not even from split.

>>> On some of the seat cushions the grain has virtually disappeared just from being used and has a fake vinyl look to it.

I suggest you have your clients use Protector-B+ on a regular basis to reduce friction rubs to prolong the wear of the finishes.

>>> From my last 2 pictures I can definitely see suede on the back side but how can you tell if leather is a split that has been filled and corrected?

You may remove some fibers and do a burn test, if it is from split it will smell like burning hair.

>>> but how can you tell if leather is a split that has been filled and corrected?

From its cross section a split will only have two layers or strata – the finishes and the structure.

chet
04-09-2015, 04:12 AM
09-A We finished this sectional yesterday, it looks great.

09-B final of ottoman that had the hole and tear, also looks very good. You can feel and see the sub patch where the repair is but it is very acceptable.

Roger Koh
04-09-2015, 07:44 AM
>>> 09-A We finished this sectional yesterday, it looks great.
Agree!

>>> 09-B final of ottoman that had the hole and tear, also looks very good. You can feel and see the sub patch where the repair is but it is very acceptable.

What method you used?

chet
04-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Roger, this client gave us the bar stools and kitchen chairs to restore when we delivered the sofa. The chairs and barstools are more of a bone color I' m not sure what to add to deepen the color can you help me out with color mixing. I will have extra dye form the Jenkins order too.

Roger Koh
04-14-2015, 11:45 AM
To increase hue or color to bone add Ochre.
To decrease hue or color to white add White.
To increase shades add Black.

These are three common primary color that makes out the range of off-white.