PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - NICOLETTI - Peeling - Please help me to fix my leather loveseat and chair, if possible

olgadenver
01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Hi Leather Doctors -

I picked up an off-white/stone-colored leather chair and loveseat at a garage sale. I am no expert but the leather seems to be in good condition with no scratches or significant wear. The brand is "Nicoletti" (made in Italy) and I thought I had remembered they were a good brand but I can't find them online. Both chairs looked kind of dirty and the sofa has some transfer staining from a red pillow they used on it.

After I brought it home, I looked on Amazon and found the best rated leather cleaner I could find and sprayed it on and wipe it off with very little improvement on either the dirty gray areas or the red pillow color transfer areas. The cleaner said for stubborn stains to spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping off. So I did. And I am afraid now I ruined both chairs. After it soaked in a little, I started to wipe it off and it started ... peeling (that's the best way I can describe it). It doesn't look like any of the photos I can find on this forum. The peeling layer is very very thin -- like a thin layer of dried elmers glue. Strangely, underneath the area that peeled is beautiful clean leather. It's almost like there was a protective top coat of some kind and when it peeled off, the stains, dirty areas and red transfer color peeled off too. So what do I do now? Peel both chairs entirely? It would take forever and about 50 bottles of this cleaner. Did I ruin the chairs? Or is there some way to clean off the rest of the coating and stains and re-apply the coating?

If clean, these chairs would be perfect for my new living room and I am just heartbroken about possibly ruining them. Can you recommend some other product(s) I can try? I took as many good photos as I could. Oh and if you know what type of leather this in, I would love to know that too!

Thanks sooooooooo much,

Olga

Roger Koh
01-09-2015, 02:13 PM
>>> Oh and if you know what type of leather this in, I would love to know that too!

Structural Type:
Reference to picture #5 and looking at the cross section the color reveals that this is chrome-tanned.
Chrome-tanned leathers are softer than vegetable-tanned leathers. The thickness shows design for heavy usage.
Reference to picture #6 shows that this leather is embossed and not the highest grade of leather in terms of grain beauty. In most cases skin blemishes are buff off and embossed with a new artificial texture perhaps to stimulate the higher end natural pebble grains leather type.

Finish Type:
The finish is opaque pigmented type.
There is a possibility that the secondary darker coating is a later add-on with no proper sealer or adhesion promotion coating prior to the correcting color coating thus more vulnerable than the original lighter coating from peeling off.

>>> Did I ruin the chairs?

Only the finishes are ruin as pictures show.

>>> So what do I do now? Peel both chairs entirely?

Peeling is an option and if they are easily removed without damaging the under coating may be desirable and still is necessary even new matching coating became inevitable.

>>> Or is there some way to clean off the rest of the coating and stains and re-apply the coating?

Using Leather Doctor Stripper-2.3 may help removes the remaining remnants for a more even appearance prior to new coating application.

>>> Can you recommend some other product(s) I can try?

The sequence of steps is as follows for refinishing:

1st – Stripper-2.3 to strip unwanted existing finishes to an even appearance for better new finishing coverage.
2nd – Adhesor-73 is rub-on to impart better adhesion promotion.
3rd – Micro-54 matching color is mixed with 10% Thickener-48 for ease of application
4th – MicroTop-54S satin seals the color coating and impart the desired luster level.
5th – Protector-B+ rub-resistant features reduces friction rubs that prolongs wear to the finishes.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]

for further readings

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather-doctor-kit-sa7-cl-semi-aniline-leather-color-refinishing-kit/
Leather DoctorŽ Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.