PDA

View Full Version : Shearling (sheepskin) coat – shrunk by machine washing!

Questions!
12-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Hi!
I bought a coat for my daughter in a charity shop and thought it was man made so put in the washing machine then tumbler, (it didn’t have a care label on and looked manmade!) however it turns out it’s real sheep skin.
Have you got any products that will make it stretch and nourish the skin?

It is not fully dry as washed it on cold again (I dried it on radiator before but this time it's just in the room not near heat)

It's such a shame it shrunk I am very annoyed with myself.

If there were any chance the product would restore it to its size and oil the skin that would be amazing.

What about something to nourish the leather, will the stretcher stuff do than.
It is pale and very dry.
After washing it the second time and gently pulling it, it has stretched a bit but will use the product you have suggested.
Would like to know how to apply it.

Roger Koh
12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
>>> It's such a shame it shrunk I am very annoyed with myself

Shrinkage is cause by the loss of fatliquor and in an immersion machine-washing the fatliquor leaches out.

>>> Would like to know how to apply it.

Rejuvenating the leather for suppleness with softness and strength is by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 processing system. The initial Hydrator-3.3 application is by spraying from the mini-sprayer bottle. The objectives are to reduce any surface tension for an even appearance so that the following fatliquor application will have an even appearance without any blotchiness when dry. Hydrator-3.3 also helps to relax and separates the leather structure fibrils from sticking together that cause the stiffness and the uneven tension experienced. Hydrator-3.3 is only the pre-conditioner for Fatliquor-5.0 and it is the fatliquor that delivers the ultimate result of leather suppleness with softness and strength. The percentage of fatliquor may be up to 14% depends on suppleness and appearance. The appearance describe as “pale and very dry” is associated with lack of fatliquor possibly below 3% measurable with a leather moisture meter or equivalent and as percentage of fatliquor increases color appearance intensifies with richness.

>>> Have you got any products that will make it stretch and nourish the skin?

In practice the suede side of the shearling or sheepskin is evenly sprayed with Hydrator-3.3 and let to dwell up to 72hrs as desired to relax the leather structure. At 25% moisture content or still damp the leather is gently stretch or massage to the original dimension. Fatliquor-5.0 continues to be replenished by spraying evenly and with each almost drying cycle while still damp more is applied. Again to increase softness and strength the leather is massage at below 25% moisture level or slight damp condition before drying until completely dry in the massaging known as the stacking process done in the tannery. What we describe is base on the principle and practices done with today’s modern tannery to soften sheepskin and leather of any types.

Nubuck Brush-2 or suede Brush-3 helps to distribute and work the products into the leather structure. When using a suede Brush-3 always use it at a slant angle avoiding scratching the leather, otherwise using nubuck Brush-2 will avoid scratches to too delicate skins.

Worn naps are reactivated with use of suede Eraser-5 to return the skin with a “finger writing effect” a characteristic of suede.

A breathable non-stick, rub-resistant silky feel helps protect the leather from sticky soiling and wearing of the piles or naps. Protector comes with leather scent as Protector-S+ and scentless as Protector-S. When comes to scent some hates it and some do not have enough of it, always test for liking prior to application, otherwise opt for the scentless.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]

Further readings:

Leather Doctor® Kit-Ss4 : Suede Shearling - Care Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit-Ss4, suede shearling care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping suede shearling outer garment at their highest level of appearance, enhancing their softness and strength and prevents premature ageing. Suede when dry of its fat and oil becomes more absorbent and easily creases and wrinkles. Softening it begins with Hydrator-3.3 to relax the creases and wrinkles prior to fat and oil replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0. The fat plumps the suede with fullness and the oil lubricates the fibers for smoothness during compressing, stretching and flexing thus reduces creases and wrinkles. Unlike conditioning oils that darkens suede, fatliquor seasons the suede to a richer tone that helps reduce the ingress of liquid stains and making soiling removal easier where the fibers is full of fat and oil. Maintenance cleaning before soiling build up on body contact areas is done with Cleaner-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 respectively. Protector-S+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant silky-feel that shields the effect of sticky soiling, keeping a high level of appearance for a longer period of time. The wool face is clean, sanitize with odor control and rinse with Clean-5.5 and Rinse-4.0 respectively using the same non-stick protector to enhance the wool with a silky feel. Moreover, it diffuses a classic leather scent that charms. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system for double face suede shearling.