PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Pearlized) - Perforated - chairs scratch with cigarette burn for: - 'McPherson'

chet
12-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Roger, we need to redye these chairs, we might fix burn depending on cost. either way I' going to order 1 quart Micro pigment-54 it is pearlescent finish? How should I repair burn area on a seam? and how could I put puncture holes back into leather? I can borrow a piece form back side and I can unzip and get to back side of repair area.

Chair in ok condition

Chair with burn

Close up of burn

Close up of scratches- nothing into finish (superficial)

Roger Koh
12-03-2014, 11:45 AM
>>> I' going to order 1 quart Micro pigment-54 it is pearlescent finish?

In Pearlescent finishes system, the sealer coating is Adhesor-73 and the matching primary color is Micro-54 and the secondary color is Pearl-97, and the wear resistant protection is Protector-B+. When finishes is damages to the leather crust the entire system is recommended. Prior to refinishing Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 rejuvenates the leather structure for softness and strength from cracking. Prior to rejuvenates the leather its surface is wet prepared with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0.
Are you sending sample for color matching?

>>> How should I repair burn area on a seam?

Burn shrinkage repairs is done with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
It is done with first hydrating it to relax to be stretchable back to original dimension and then fatliquoring it at the same time so that it will not crack when dry.

>>> and how could I put puncture holes back into leather? I can borrow a piece form back side and I can unzip and get to back side of repair area.

Ideally is to get a donor piece from the same leather. Hole repairs would prefer to have the smooth side facing outwards and have the outline of the donor piece beyond the hole to be shaved to suede to have effective bonding suede to suede using Bond-3D. Our latest Bond-5C when combine mixed with Bond-3D results in increase tackiness and cures faster for a quicker repair.

chet
12-04-2014, 07:08 AM
I sent color sample yesterday. We will Clean Hydrate and fatliuor in the meantime.

Roger Koh
04-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Pearl-97 is design to create a pearlescent secondary color effect.
Color is applied direct as a secondary coloring.
Or primary coloring may be added as a topping spray.

Applying direct has better control over the intensity of the pearlescent effect desired.

chet
05-05-2015, 07:00 AM
5-4A Finished chair, color and pearlescent has been applied and it looks great. Do we need a topcoat or is pearlescent the top coat. The client declined to have us try and repair burn, he will be having it covered with a custom made cushion.

I was thinking about trying to repair the area but it is on a seam and I think it would be very difficult to fix. I do have an area of leather underneath with a seam in it to use as a donor pice but that would be up to him.

Roger Koh
05-05-2015, 07:06 AM
>>> Do we need a topcoat or is pearlescent the top coat.

Pearlescent is just another secondary coloring.

MicroTop-54 recommended to match original luster level.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor

chet
07-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Chairs look great; but client doesn't like pearlescent and wants toned more to gray. How should I prep so I can apply Micro-54 and re-topcoat?

Roger Koh
07-07-2015, 11:21 AM
>>> How should I prep so I can apply Micro-54 and re-topcoat?

The protector coating will have to be completely removed otherwise it will have potential adhesion problem to the new color coatings. The removal system is used Prep-7.7, paint over the entire leather and let it dwell one or two days. Thereafter removed the sticky residue with Clean-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 to a healthy squeaky clean. Acidifier-2.0 will reduce any tacky feeling if any.

Two options for removing of the topcoat and colorcoat down to the leather crust to avoid over building of the color coating layers by chemical or by physical.
Stripper-2.3 is spray direct and work with a nylon detailing brush like Nubuck Brush-2 in a circular motion. Emulsified and suspended coating is then towel off. Wet 1000grit sanding with Rinse-3.0 further improves surface grains. Chemical removing will be a better job albeit more time consuming. Physical sanding alone may not reach the semi-perforated depression pattern and when new coatings is added reduced the depression pattern.

When Stripper-2.3 is used it may also dries up the fat and oil from the leather structure and rejuvenating the leather is recommended to replace what is dried up with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system, returning the leather when dry to a more supple without fear of stiffness that leads to cracking when stressed.

Adhesor-73 is applied and brush and extracted to prepare the grain for better adhesion without necessary build-up for better aesthetic.